Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What stupid shit has Biden done today?

Funny how byzantine parliamentary rules-lawyering suddenly becomes so very important when it comes to the question of giving ordinary Americans money so that they don't starve or go homeless.

And again.

Nobody’s interested. The liberal bandwagon has moved on. Biden is one of their own anyway.

The claims that once Trump was gone lessons would be learned and that there couldn’t be a ‘return to normal’ have been quickly dispensed with. I wonder what sort of backlash 4 years of decrepit third way politics might give rise to? Of what the consequences of re-forgetting what gave rise to Trump in the first place? It’s a hard one to work out!

Nobody’s interested.

What gives you that idea? I read NoXion's post, went on to the ACLU Twitter feed, and read a couple more news stories about the Biden administration's shitty approach to the diversity visa issue.

Was I supposed to leave a sad-face emoji to show that I care?

What gives you that idea? I read NoXion's post, went on to the ACLU Twitter feed, and read a couple more news stories about the Biden administration's shitty approach to the diversity visa issue.

Was I supposed to leave a sad-face emoji to show that I care?

Think he means the media, not you specifically. There isn't much noise about this in the usual liberal-leaning propaganda organs

What gives you that idea? [/QUOTE

Well it might be the snail like pace of this thread compared to say the hysteria of the thread about Trump. It could be that the talk of building a left opposition to Biden lest the left become associated with him has shrivelled to nothing within weeks with a very few honourable exceptions. It could be the rowing back on the minimum wage (one of the few pledges he adopted from Sanders), it could be the game playing over cheques that ordinary Americans need so that they can eat. It could be that despite the sombre intonations that ‘lessons would be learned’ about the peripheralisation and dismissal of the interests of ordinary people by elite liberals the initial evidence is that, in fact, none have been

Think he means the media, not you specifically. There isn't much noise about this in the usual liberal-leaning propaganda organs

Yes, I wasn’t thinking about Yossarian when I typed the earlier post, my target is the PMC machine and mindset. Although, I have mentally referenced some earlier posts by a few puffed up posters on here for future posterity.

Well it might be the snail like pace of this thread compared to say the hysteria of the thread about Trump. It could be that the talk of building a left opposition to Biden lest the left become associated with him has shrivelled to nothing within weeks with a very few honourable exceptions. It could be the rowing back on the minimum wage (one of the few pledges he adopted from Sanders), it could be the game playing over cheques that ordinary Americans need so that they can eat. It could be that despite the sombre intonations that ‘lessons would be learned’ about the peripheralisation and dismissal of the interests of ordinary people by elite liberals the initial evidence is that, in fact, none have been

With a 10- vote margin in the House and a zero-vote margin in the Senate, I think the Democrats are trying to hold their uneasy coalition together for as long as it takes to pass the Covid relief bill, the anti-Biden voices will hopefully become louder when that is accomplished - he definitely doesn't deserve a longer honeymoon.

You're right of course, although Biden's not saying as much stupid shit in a week (that we get to hear of) as Trump did in a single Twitter session. And I think particularly with people who actually live in the US there's a certain relief not to have a president who actually supports having armed neo-nazis on the streets beating people up.

Eta: aside from many of the police of course

I've not been on this thread at all ( :oops: ), but I'm finding it impossible not to be happy about this ultra-positive news :

BBC said:
US President Joe Biden has signed a $1.9tn (£1.4tn) economic relief bill that aims to help Americans impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic into law.

BBC said:
What's in the bill?
The act includes one-off direct payments worth $1,400 to be sent off to most Americans.
It extends weekly jobless benefit payments of $300 until September.
It also allocates $350bn to state and local governments, some $130bn to school reopening, $49bn for expanded Covid-19 testing and research, as well as $14bn for vaccine distribution.
:)

However :
A proposal to raise the national minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 per hour became a sticking point in the Senate and did not make it into the final version of the bill.

:( :(

(Apologies though, if this is being discussed on some other thread here atm :oops: )

I've not been on this thread at all ( :oops: ), but I'm finding it impossible not to be happy about this ultra-positive news :

However :

(Apologies though, if this is being discussed on some other thread here atm :oops: )

Biden is getting stuff done.
Gun legistation just passed House.

The title should be revised to something like "the biden years".
Right now, Biden is not doing stupid things.

Biden is getting stuff done.
Gun legistation just passed House.

The title should be revised to something like "the biden years".
Right now, Biden is not doing stupid things.

He's still bombing the Middle East and putting kids in cages. His admin went back on the promised $2000 cheques, reducing them to $1400 while also means testing them to reduce eligibility, turning it from a "stimulus" (which are meant to be universal) to a "benefit". The minimum wage increase has also been watered down, did you know that the "Fight for $15/hr" campaign started all the way back in 2012? If you understand the concept of inflation, then hopefully I won't have to explain why that's so fucking shit.

Fuck, even Biden promised it to rich donors himself: "Nothing will fundamentally change". The same system that produced Trump, and which could still very well generate Trump 2.0 come 2024, and then we'll get the whole stupid media circus starting again. I can only hope that the US electorate's political memory isn't as short as that of the liberal media establishment. The latter are already forgetting.

However :

It's a good bill but a one time payment of $1400 is not enough. Should have been a series of monthly payments. And the lack of the minimum wage increase is disappointing. With the Dems having such a slim majority in the senate, a few conservative Democrats did a lot of damage.

It's a good bill but a one time payment of $1400 is not enough. Should have been a series of monthly payments. And the lack of the minimum wage increase is disappointing. With the Dems having such a slim majority in the senate, a few conservative Democrats did a lot of damage.

I do agree with those bolded bits, TBF. I think some other welfare benefits have been increased as well though??

Will check later.

I do agree with those bolded bits, TBF. I think some other welfare benefits have been increased as well though??

Will check later.
Yes, there are a lot of other good provisions including extension of unemployment benefits. It should have been a better bill but was still quite an accomplishment. And of course not a single Republican voted for it..........too expensive ect.

Enough of the House bill managed to get past dickheads like Joe Manchin in the Senate to earn higher praise than I expected from Bernie Sanders.

I was kind of surprised when Biden proposed the minimum wage shift. It's the most important bit of that bill, probably more important than everything else in it put together in the long term. It wasn't an overnight change - it was to rise to that level over four years - but still, transformative in those states where the min wage is currently 7.25.

He will have known it was going to face trouble in the Senate. Hard not to think that it was always intended to drop it from the start. Otherwise surely he'd have been pushing for a watered down version of the min wage increase rather than just dropping the idea entirely.

I was kind of surprised when Biden proposed the minimum wage shift. It's the most important bit of that bill, probably more important than everything else in it put together in the long term. It wasn't an overnight change - it was to rise to that level over four years - but still, transformative in those states where the min wage is currently 7.25.

He will have known it was going to face trouble in the Senate. Hard not to think that it was always intended to drop it from the start. Otherwise surely he'd have been pushing for a watered down version of the min wage increase rather than just dropping the idea entirely.
Probably correct. Looks like he didn't really want it to begin with. Biden's certainly no FDR but compared to his predecessor.......

I don't disagree with the underlying point - but part of the reason for dropping was probably that it had been ruled that the increase could not be done via a reconciliation bill.

I don't disagree with the underlying point - but part of the reason for dropping was probably that it had been ruled that the increase could not be done via a reconciliation bill.
The parliamentarian of the senate made the ruling and could have been overruled by the VP.

Back
Top Bottom