Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Wanted to martyr Trump to now firmly unite extreme right

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • He didn't say anywhere and we'll never know

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters
The bullying thing is an old school shooter trope. Pretty well debunked. People like easy answers, though.
Really?

This from a couple of years ago.

• Research identifies humiliation as a violation of connection that is long-lasting, painful, and a potential cause of violence to self and others.
  • Case studies of school shooters reveal childhoods of humiliation with severe bullying that can escalate into a suicidal-homicidal crisis.
  • Guns, often in the form of assault weapons, purchased illegally or legally without background checks become the lethal means to kill children.

eta: I mean, I don't know I've not made a study of the subject, it just seems a possibility - I'd be interested to see references on it being a discredited trope.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has suggested that bullying was the only reason you get shooters like this. Has anyone suggested that bullying was the only reason you get shooters like this? I think people have suggested it may be one factor. Not really an "easy answer" but one factor.

I mean I was bullied at school and I've not gone out and shot anyone

yet :hmm:

Really?

This from a couple of years ago.

eta: I mean, I don't know I've not made a study of the subject, it just seems a possibility - I'd be interested to see references on it being a discredited trope.
I know that with the Columbine shooters it was widely reported they were bullied but there was no evidence they were in any significant way, and in fact tended to be the bullies.

My felling is that the social environment at schools can be complex and dynamic and many kids will experience being bullied at some point and many will engage in a bit of bullying at another time. The bullies and the bullied are not 2 nice distinct separate groups.

You may well be right, as I say I've no real idea because I've not followed it. It just seemed that for no particular reason 8ball was very invested in the idea that posters on the thread are very invested in the idea that Crooks was bullied.

You may well be right, as I say I've no real idea because I've not followed it. It just seemed that for no particular reason 8ball was very invested in the idea that posters on the thread are very invested in the idea that Crooks was bullied.
Am very invested in the idea that he's very invested in the idea that others are very invested.

No, I just saw it brought up several times by different posters.
It’s obv an appealing explanation because it’s simple and appeals to a large range of the political spectrum. Might have been I just saw it in a couple of places and misjudged how emphatically other posters were pushing the idea.

The best research I’m aware of (which I’d have to dig up) basically concludes that “it’s complicated”. The name “Cullen” springs to mind. There was also a secret service report that I’m having trouble accessing right now.

School shooters (obv different to Presidential would-be assassins) haven’t been around that long and certainly not in the increased recent numbers, but the “bullied, ostracised outsider” idea was something that was knocking about in the 90s and really became embedded in the US consciousness due to initial erroneous reports about the Columbine shooters (I see that emanymton has also referred to this).

Regardless of all that, apologies to krtek a houby and two sheds for my rudeness last night. Was trying to taper off some painkillers I think a little prematurely (I say “taper”, more like “suddenly stop”..). Stepped away from internet once I realised what was happening.

No, I just saw it brought up several times by different posters.
It’s obv an appealing explanation because it’s simple and appeals to a large range of the political spectrum. Might have been I just saw it in a couple of places and misjudged how emphatically other posters were pushing the idea.

The best research I’m aware of (which I’d have to dig up) basically concludes that “it’s complicated”. The name “Cullen” springs to mind. There was also a secret service report that I’m having trouble accessing right now.

School shooters (obv different to Presidential would-be assassins) haven’t been around that long and certainly not in the increased recent numbers, but the “bullied, ostracised outsider” idea was something that was knocking about in the 90s and really became embedded in the US consciousness due to initial erroneous reports about the Columbine shooters (I see that emanymton has also referred to this).

Regardless of all that, apologies to krtek a houby and two sheds for my rudeness last night. Was trying to taper off some painkillers I think a little prematurely (I say “taper”, more like “suddenly stop”..). Stepped away from internet once I realised what was happening.
Fair enough

They are certainly not a AVF refugee, not a known dwyer style, but it wouldn't surprise me TBH, nor would it being Jay again, or even a regular on here just having a laugh.

But, I went with the comedy reply, after reporting the post.

Not an AVF refugee, not dwyer nor is it Jay.

Back
Top Bottom