Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this car sized object which America has shot down?

iu

Considering the height, size and direction of travel. Has anyone considered these being possible strays from the Chinese lantern festival which took place a week or so before these sightings?

History

I would be skeptical if the US sent spy ballons over china in the 21st century. I assume if America wanted to spy on China and a satellite was not the answer, perhaps some sort of stealthy drone?

Incorrect. No Mode S/ADS-B on those - they use VHF radio beacons, not UHF transponders.
Thanks for the clarification, point though is they are all transmitting their position, and not just being picked up by primary radar...I.E. they want to be seen

One spotted in Romania now

"White House spokesman John Kirby said no group or individual has claimed the objects and the US intelligence community believes they could be "tied to some commercial or benign purpose".

🤔

If its benign, then someone would surely own up to them..

One spotted in Romania now

Wasn't a flying human spotted in the skies over Romania, a good few years ago, or imagined it? Can't find anything online at first look.

and presumably thats also why they wait until they are over the ocean-just in case they do shoot down a chinese lantern:thumbs:

"White House spokesman John Kirby said no group or individual has claimed the objects and the US intelligence community believes they could be "tied to some commercial or benign purpose".

🤔

adn what with all the tech shit they are attached to, those big wing things at the bottom, quite pricey as well.

i keep thinking confirmation bias, i.e. the more people are aware the more likely they are to be spotted.

but it doesn't quite tie up does it. All a bit odd. Still don't understand why a vessel like that would be used for "spying". Remember the things can actually be flown - they don't just drift around - they would (as it was for, ahem, me) appear weird as fuck being flown through the sky - a big round circle with stuff attached to it flying, not drifting, throgh the sky. And it makes total sense that they can be flown and directed remotely - a ballon just going with the wind wouldn't be much use for spying purposes, what if it just got stuck over the pacific or Anerley?

🤔

I learned the term sky trash the other day.
Left over high altitude ballons that float around and no one cared about till now.

🤔

If they got high enough to interfere with air traffic, they probably are violating FAA regulations pretty majorly. The FAA, the Post Office, and the IRS are three things you don't want to mess with.

Could it be they shot down a hobby club's $12 balloon?
The community is also nervous that their balloons could be shot down next. Medlin says one of his balloons—call sign W5KUB-112—is projected by HYSPLIT to enter U.S. airspace on Feb. 17. It already circumnavigated the globe several times, but its trajectory last carried the object over China before it will enter either Mexican or U.S. airspace.
“I hope,” Medlin said, “that in the next few days when that happens we’re not real trigger-happy and start shooting down everything.”
Right now, just under 48000ft above the Hawaiian island chain...
Path of W5KUB-112.

Back
Top Bottom