Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What stupid shit has Biden done today?

This was flagged a couple of months ago, tbh, so it's not a surprise. There are two or three conservative democrat senators who will probably block anything that is actually radical over the next couple of years. iirc the spaceman from Arizona is one, and due to the maths, it only needs one.

Democratic VP is never going to overrule a (supposedly) independent officer (appointed by a Democratic senate leader)

Thus demonstrating that parliamentary niceties are more important to the Democrats than making sure Americans get a decent wage. Some individual Democrats like AOC might be genuine, but their influence is limited at best and the DNC works hard to make sure it stays that way.

A million times better than the previous guy. I have been pleasantly surprised by Biden so far. Looking forward to my $1400. It's really going to help my situation.
That $1400 would probably have been bigger and quicker under Trump. But then again, your post may have been parody. It’s difficult to tell nowadays.

That $1400 would probably have been bigger and quicker under Trump. But then again, your post may have been parody. It’s difficult to tell nowadays.

Not a parody although I grant that my optimism is odd on the Left where miserablism seems to be more in order. I was so inspired by the BLM protests last Summer in my community. Incredible stuff and spurred people to organize for a Dem victory. I am 100% Dem and detest Trump who was/is an actual fascist. I am delighted with the Presidency so far.

Some proper grim stuff here:
The Biden administration has so far deported more Haitians in a few weeks than the Trump administration did in a whole year, with the use of a highly controversial Trump-era public health order denying asylum seekers basic legal rights, according to a new report.

The report, The Invisible Wall, published on Thursday by a coalition of immigrant rights groups, focuses on Title 42, part of the 1944 Public Health Service Act invoked a year ago by the Trump administration as grounds for summary expulsion of migrants because of the supposed health risk they posed during the Covid pandemic.

The Biden team has sought to place a moratorium on deportations of immigrants already in the country (though that moratorium has been blocked by a court order), but it has not stopped Title 42 expulsions of newly arrived migrants. The report found the pace of deportation flights to Haiti in particular had increased dramatically.

“More Haitians have been removed to Haiti in the weeks since President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris took office than during all of fiscal year 2020,” according to the Invisible Wall report, published by the Haitian Bridge Alliance, the Quixote Center, and the UndocuBlack Network...

On Wednesday the US embassy in Port-au-Prince put out a message from Biden in Creole on its Twitter account, saying “Mwen ka di sa byen klé: pa vini” (“I can say quite clearly, don’t come over.”)

The report points out that the Title 42 policy was forced on a reluctant Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by the Trump White House, ordered by Vice President Mike Pence and driven by the hardline anti-immigrant presidential adviser at the time, Stephen Miller.

As the policy requires the deportees to be crammed together in detention centres and then deported on flights, the public health justification for Title 42 rings hollow, the report argues.

Back
Top Bottom