Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What stupid shit has Biden done today?

Is the banning of menthol fags going to create a black market for menthols that would need to be enforced though? Presumably the manufacturers will just stop shipping them to the US, and the people who preferred menthols will either move to non-menthol fags or quit, like they did here?
I'd imagine that if there's sufficient demand for them then, unless you can also ban them in Canada and Mexico, people will just hop over the border, stock up, and then drive back and sell them on, like getting duty-free stuff in Calais or whatever?

I'd imagine that if there's sufficient demand for them then, unless you can also ban them in Canada and Mexico, people will just hop over the border, stock up, and then drive back and sell them on, like getting duty-free stuff in Calais or whatever?
they're already banned in Canada apparently.

This article suggests the ban significantly increased quitting rates too.

Biden administration announces intention to ban menthol cigarettes:

I've seen this described as "everyone: when are you going to decriminalise cannabis? Biden: I hear you, I've listened to your concerns, and I'm happy to announce that I will be criminalising menthols."

For more serious commentary, here's a joint letter from the ACLU and a number of other organizations on what the consequences of a ban might be:

And here's a reminder of what Eric Garner's mother wrote in 2019 when New York was considering a similar ban - Eric Garner, of course, being someone who was killed for selling tobacco products illegally:
Biden has plenty of form for introducing laws that disproportionately affect black people. He co-authored the 1986 Anti-Drug Abuse Act and the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act. The first enacted far harsher sentances for possessing crack cocaine than powder cocaine, which basically had the effect of black people being given longer sentences than white people for using essentially the same drug. The second was a major step on the road to mass incarceration in the US, which has again affected black people far more than white.

His response to these impacts of the laws he wrote was to say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions ". Which doesn't really help all those black people whose lives have been torn apart by him.

And now he's at it again. As the saying goes, once is unfortunate, twice is careless, three times is...

they're already banned in Canada apparently.

This article suggests the ban significantly increased quitting rates too.
Ah, didn't realise that. Still, if they're still legal in Mexico and there's people willing to pay money for them I reckon you'll get people finding a way to get them over the border one way or another. Like, the Eric Garner case shows that there's already a black market for illegal cigarettes, so I think that'd just expand.

Ah, didn't realise that. Still, if they're still legal in Mexico and there's people willing to pay money for them I reckon you'll get people finding a way to get them over the border one way or another. Like, the Eric Garner case shows that there's already a black market for illegal cigarettes, so I think that'd just expand.
So he's creating new business opportunities for the black community?

Well, I guess there's other measures the US government could take to stop black people being killed by cops that don't mean dropping initiatives with measurable public health benefits.
Or, to look at it another way, I imagine there's other measures the government could take to discourage smoking that doesn't mean expanding the war on drugs.

It's not really expanding the war on drugs though is it, really? Fags will still be available. Nicotine addicts will be able to relieve their addiction without breaking the law. The vast majority of menthol smokers will grumble a little and move onto non-menthol fags, or - as the canadian study shows - quit altogether. I'm unconvinced it'll result in a huge increase in demand for black market fags - cigarettes are a drug of convenience as much as anything else, and for most people if you can't get the brand you like from your corner shop, you get a different brand - you don't go to additional risk and expense of buying the brand you like from organised criminals.

They banned other flavoured cigarettes 12 years ago, only reason menthols weren't banned at the time is tobacco industry pressure.

While menthol cigs may be banned, filters are not (Rizla 'Polar Blast' for example)... so no hardship for mentholites.
Plus, a few grammes of menthol crystals available from most pharmacies.

The Biden administration has finally admitted that the US is indeed providing offensive material support to Saudi Arabia’s genocidal assault on Yemen, directly contradicting Biden’s February claim that it would no longer be providing offensive support in that war. We are being lied to about yet another US war by yet another US president.

“The United States continues to provide maintenance support to Saudi Arabia’s Air Force given the critical role it plays in Saudi air defense and our longstanding security partnership,” Pentagon spokesperson Jessica McNulty has informed Vox reporter Alex Ward.

“Multiple US defense officials and experts acknowledged that, through a US government process, the Saudi government pays commercial contractors to maintain and service their aircraft, and those contractors keep Saudi warplanes in the air. What the Saudis do with those fighter jets, however, is up to them,” Ward reports. “The US could cancel those contracts at any time, thus effectively grounding the Saudi Air Force, but doing so would risk losing Riyadh as a key regional partner.”

U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration has told Congress it is proceeding with more than $23 billion in weapons sales to the United Arab Emirates, including advanced F-35 aircraft, armed drones and other equipment, congressional aides said on Tuesday. The UAE is a human rights abuser. A contributor to the Biden campaign, Lockheed Martin, is involved and will profit from this.

Last edited:

The United States said Wednesday it opposes a proposed U.N. Security Council resolution calling for a cease-fire in the conflict between Israel and Gaza’s Hamas rulers, reiterating that it could interfere with the Biden administration’s efforts to end the hostilities.

France drafted the resolution after the U.S. blocked at least four attempts to have the council issue a press statement calling for an end to the violence, giving the same reason. Diplomats said all other council members supported the statement.

A press statement requires agreement by all 15 council members, but a resolution requires only at least nine “yes” votes and no veto by the United States or any of the four other permanent members.

A French government spokesman had said “very intense discussions” were taking place with the United States on Wednesday about the proposed resolution, which U.N. diplomats said calls for a cease-fire and humanitarian aid for Gaza.

But a spokesperson for the U.S. Mission to the United Nations said later in the day: “We’ve been clear and consistent that we are focused on intensive diplomatic efforts under way to bring an end to the violence and that we will not support actions that we believe undermine efforts to de-escalate.”
Can't call for a ceasefire because that would undermine efforts to de-escalate the violence. :hmm:

Biden turned up at a Ford plant Wednesday for a photo-op driving the new electric pickup - when a reporter tried to ask him about Israel, he joked about running her over.

Biden DOJ will defend excluding Puerto Ricans from disability payments

President Biden on Monday announced that the Department of Justice (DOJ) will continue to defend a law that excludes Puerto Ricans from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, while calling on Congress to extend eligibility to the U.S. territory's residents.

Biden said the Justice Department will be adhering to its practice of defending the constitutionality of federal law in the legal challenge against a provision in the Social Security Act that excludes Puerto Rico residents from the program, which provides income for low-income citizens with disabilities.

Biden DOJ will defend excluding Puerto Ricans from disability payments

President Biden on Monday announced that the Department of Justice (DOJ) will continue to defend a law that excludes Puerto Ricans from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, while calling on Congress to extend eligibility to the U.S. territory's residents.

Biden said the Justice Department will be adhering to its practice of defending the constitutionality of federal law in the legal challenge against a provision in the Social Security Act that excludes Puerto Rico residents from the program, which provides income for low-income citizens with disabilities.
The fucking low life cunt :mad:

Back
Top Bottom