Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine invasion memes and viral content

Could have gone on the Why the Times is Going Down the Pan thread, but couldn't find it.

The full piece - unpaywalled here: archive.ph - is a little more thoughtful than I expected, she discusses the phenomenon of people saying they have a "crush" on Zelensky and the backlash to it.

When you see a decent man with a sense of humour rise to an occasion with a bravery, brio and sense of nobility, it makes you have a reaction that is . . . not political. It is an emotional situation. As Ellie Hammack on Twitter put it, “How am I seeing this many people on my timeline pearl-clutching over the fact that the guy fighting the fascists is receiving too much enthusiastic support?”

Or as Ashley Shelby put it, with slightly more detail, “The whole ‘crush’ on #Zelensky thing isn’t nonsense — and it’s not about romantic feelings. It’s a natural human response a person starved of examples of honour, decency, and courage experiences when seeing that those qualities can still exist in a leader. We have been starving.

Ultimately, it’s all about how you choose to express feeling inspired and moved by someone behaving in an absolutely extraordinary way. I don’t really see any difference between the EU giving Zelensky a standing ovation and 300,000 and rising people saying they have a “crush” on him. I’m pretty sure everybody felt exactly the same: I like this guy. I wish I could help. I really f***ing hope he survives.

Grain of truth here

There is some truth to it...

However, are Vietnam, Iraq really seen as OK?

And is this relevant? This is ultimately about Europe, not about the US.

I don't think any country in Europe was involved in US war in Vietnam for instance. Only Poland, Denmark and the UK were involved in invading Iraq, with Netherlands, Spain and Italy playing minor "peacekeeper" roles after the invasion, the latter two of which soon withdrew due to overwhelming public opposition.

Countries sending military supplies to Ukraine include Germany, Sweden, Finland, France, Belgium, Norway, Croatia, Slovenia, Greece and Austria. All of whom opposed the US invasion of Iraq.

The stance on European countries towards Israel isn't as simple as that video suggests either - it is hardly like nobody ever criticises Israel.

I don't think any country in Europe was involved in US war in Vietnam for instance. Only Poland, Denmark and the UK were involved in invading Iraq, with Netherlands, Spain and Italy playing minor "peacekeeper" roles after the invasion, the latter two of which soon withdrew due to overwhelming public opposition.

Countries sending military supplies to Ukraine include Germany, Sweden, Finland, France, Belgium, Norway, Croatia, Slovenia, Greece and Austria. All of whom opposed the US invasion of Iraq.

The stance on European countries towards Israel isn't as simple as that video suggests either - it is hardly like nobody ever criticises Israel.
I said , and you agree, there is a grain of truth in it .
And please don’t try to say that the US , as is the case with Russia, do not try and influence Europe .

lol and lol again.

Gosh, it’s almost like some people in Africa have a sense of humour and can use it to make political arguments..,

I said , and you agree, there is a grain of truth in it .
And please don’t try to say that the US , as is the case with Russia, do not try and influence Europe .

Fair enough.

I'm just responding to the reductive treatment of every single country in Europe as an extension of the US, which I get a lot from browsing Chinese social media / talking with Chinese friends and it gets very tiresome.

Back
Top Bottom