Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine invasion memes and viral content

278678078_2926757174215885_8818863830854814817_n.jpg

Apologies if folk have seen this already, but if not the DCS / YouTube streamers ā€œGrim Reapersā€ (whose channel is mostly air battles simulated using Digital Combat Simulator) tried to recreate what happened (edit: with the sinking of the Moskva):

DCS is a Russian made game and the SAMs / radar capabilities seem well-modelled, so it was a big surprise to them how well the older missile (that Neptune was based on) did.

TBF, for quite a few decades, a given percentage of all entertainment has been based on watching explosions, collisions, collapses and so on
Yes, but they tend to leave you empathising for the victims, not taking gratification in their deaths.

To be fair most big films try to care about collateral damage a bit more nowadays. Particularly after man of steel fucked it up so hard.

Still kinda love boom bash stuff but try to justify it somehow.
The collateral damage in films is quite unusual, it something that struck me with Miyazaki films, Princess Mononoke which I haven't seen for ages, the people running away, getting killed sticks in my mind.

Are you familiar with human cinema?
In which films do we actually revel in the deaths of countless unnamed people? As in, their deaths are presented as ā€œtherapeuticā€? Thereā€™s a big difference between excitement/spectacle and fist-pump catharsis. The latter is normally saved for the deaths of known bad-guys, not random people that happen to be walking past the wrong building at the wrong time.

In which films do we actually revel in the deaths of countless unnamed people? As in, their deaths are presented as ā€œtherapeuticā€? Thereā€™s a big difference between excitement/spectacle and fist-pump catharsis. The latter is normally saved for the deaths of known bad-guys, not random people that happen to be walking past the wrong building at the wrong time.
I always loved the suicide bombings in Battle of Algiers as a child. And what about Dambusters?

Star Wars. How many workers are on that Death Star?
Cute, but everybody working for the Empire in Star Wars are unequivocally presented as bad guys. Itā€™s a fairy story.

Do you find that video clip therapeutic, then?

Cute, but everybody working for the Empire in Star Wars are unequivocally presented as bad guys. Itā€™s a fairy story.

Do you find that video clip therapeutic, then?
No. I think it's problematic because it treats the Russian people as the enemy. If we're ever to get out of this there will have to be peace with Russia.

Back
Top Bottom