Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

There is a list on the Russia protests thread about a strike at a factory over unpaid wages.

How long can the Putin regime keep paying the wages of the army, the police and the other internal security forces? And what happens if pay stops?

If it is what you think it looks like - they've been building updated ones under a new number since at least 2018. And, like bimble 's Jimmy, they are 4x4.

Yeah, maybe it's a shit van. But again this reads as hohoho let's laugh at Russian incompetence while millions flee that incompetence (the fools! what are they scared of!) and thousands remain underground avoiding that incompetence (the cowards!) and others die at the hands of that incompetence.

But let's have a giggle anyway.
I don't think anyone is finding it funny that there's a mass exodus of civilians underway, that residential areas are being bombarded and many people have died.

But it's undeniable there have been comedic moments, from 'Russian warship, go fuck yourself' at the very beginning, to the videos shared on social media of Ukranian tractor drivers commandeering Russian military vehicles, including Ukranians who themselves have been chuckling about selling them for scrap, etc. Or videos of millions of pounds worth of Russian military vehicles bogged down in mud.

It boils down to the distinction between laughing with or laughing at people, and admittedly, there's a bit of 'laughing at' going on, eg at the pompous captain of the enormously powerful warship that's told to 'go fuck yourself' by a handful of soldiers at a remote outpost, and at the might of the Russian army coming unstuck, or rather getting stuck, in mud. Otherwise, I think people are laughing with the Ukrainians, many of whom seem to have a dark sense of humour, to be renowned for it as a people. And don't forget, their president is, literally, a comedian.

So I don't think any disrespect is intended, I don't think anyone's demonstrating any callous indifference at the suffering of the Ukrainian people. It might also be a matter of urbanites' backgrounds and experiences? I'm guessing those who've served in the forces, or have worked in healthcare or journalism have developed a bit of a dark sense of humour that maybe others who haven't worked in those environments can't really appreciate, and might even find offensive? People who work or have worked in sectors where a lot of bad shit goes down often develop a dark sense of humour as a defence mechanism, a means of lightening the mood, a way of processing and coping with some very grim realities.

It's already been debunked. Probably a weird rendering error or something.

Although I did like Zelenskyy's news conference yesterday when he deliberately went out of his way to adjust the microphone at the end of the transmission.
Hahaha! 🤣 I know some find it distasteful and/or disrespectful to laugh at what's going on over there, but he is a comedian, and that's fucking funny.

Hahaha! 🤣 I know some find it distasteful and/or disrespectful to laugh at what's going on over there, but he is a comedian, and that's fucking funny.

Little touches like that are going to be a big morale-booster for Ukraine. He knows he doesn't have to say anything, he knows everyone knows what he just did, so it's a way of saying "I get the joke, too", which is going to make people believe he sees the same shit they do, and notices (and cares about) it.

Contrast that with, say, Boris Johnson's heavy-handed attempts to try and say "I'm just like you people, too", and in doing so makes himself look ever more out of touch.

People's responses were the inevitable consequences of your actions...
Yes, I get it now. Anybody who posts something not widely approved gets shouted down with personal insults in the hope that the poster on the receiving end will be accused of derailing and banned. The bubble remains inflated.

There was no need for you to raise this again when I and everybody else had left it best part of an hour ago.

But not true luckily.
Ukraine accounts for around 12 per cent of the world's wheat production. And with Russia, together they account for around a quarter of the world's wheat production.

Full on famine might be a stretch, but a grain shortage will lead to increased prices, and when that happens, poor people can't afford bread, and when that happens, you get civil unrest, as has happened previously, eg during food price crisis of 2007-2008 when wheat prices reached record highs and there were 'bread riots' in countries as diverse as Egypt, Bangladesh.

I don't think anyone is finding it funny that there's a mass exodus of civilians underway, that residential areas are being bombarded and many people have died.

But it's undeniable there have been comedic moments, from 'Russian warship, go fuck yourself' at the very beginning, to the videos shared on social media of Ukranian tractor drivers commandeering Russian military vehicles, including Ukranians who themselves have been chuckling about selling them for scrap, etc. Or videos of millions of pounds worth of Russian military vehicles bogged down in mud.

It boils down to the distinction between laughing with or laughing at people, and admittedly, there's a bit of 'laughing at' going on, eg at the pompous captain of the enormously powerful warship that's told to 'go fuck yourself' by a handful of soldiers at a remote outpost, and at the might of the Russian army coming unstuck, or rather getting stuck, in mud. Otherwise, I think people are laughing with the Ukrainians, many of whom seem to have a dark sense of humour, to be renowned for it as a people. And don't forget, their president is, literally, a comedian.

So I don't think any disrespect is intended, I don't think anyone's demonstrating any callous indifference at the suffering of the Ukrainian people. It might also be a matter of urbanites' backgrounds and experiences? I'm guessing those who've served in the forces, or have worked in healthcare or journalism have developed a bit of a dark sense of humour that maybe others who haven't worked in those environments can't really appreciate, and might even find offensive? People who work or have worked in sectors where a lot of bad shit goes down often develop a dark sense of humour as a defence mechanism, a means of lightening the mood, a way of processing and coping with some very grim realities.

I appreciate that Ann but it's not really the comedy I'm getting at, I love dark humour, it's what it's representative of. For me, the concentration here on every stuck tank over the laying to waste of people's homes and lives is giving a distorted picture. This thread is the most optimistic place I see reading about the war. Additionally, the humour is representative of humiliation for Putin. This man we all agreed was 'mad', irrational etc a week ago. The man with nuclear codes. Yeah, I don't think humiliation is a great idea, however true it may be.

And yes I watched Threads again last night, 38 years on. I should probably have some valium. In fact I think I will anyway.

Ukraine accounts for around 12 per cent of the world's wheat production. And with Russia, together they account for around a quarter of the world's wheat production.

Full on famine might be a stretch, but a grain shortage will lead to increased prices, and when that happens, poor people can't afford bread, and when that happens, you get civil unrest, as has happened previously, eg during food price crisis of 2007-2008 when wheat prices reached record highs and there were 'bread riots' in countries as diverse as Egypt, Bangladesh.

The increase in fuel prices are going to fuck up the cost of food as much as anything, stuff like combines and similar farming machinery burn through a massive amount of diesel and that cost will be passed on. People will kick off about it.

Russia moving into partnership with China over electronic payments after visa pulls out of russia.

I don't know what this means but it's probably not good for the dollar, is it?

Perhaps that is the intent of this; provoke those disturbances until a local strongman emerges who then gets food and oil from the anti-Western bloc. If it is then I hope financial speculation on this type of thing is stopped right now.

Perhaps that is the intent of this; provoke those disturbances until a local strongman emerges who then gets food and oil from the anti-Western bloc. If it is then I hope financial speculation on this type of thing is stopped right now.
There will be some people who profit from this, undoubtedly. Poor people always lose.

The mail has only published the story under that headline so it’s readers can sneer and tut at the idea of a 42-yr old grandfather.
They had another article on some Brit fighting , who the family hadn’t heard from , which managed to squeeze in a bit of eye candy of a friend of his wife posing in the kitchen with a phone trying to contact him 😂

Military stuff.

Again pretty much what kebabking said in terms of diagnoses and predictions, but better written.

"Were it not for the fact that Russia still has the means to make life miserable for ordinary Ukrainians and use its firepower to push those unable to flee down into bunkers, one would say that it is facing defeat."

He (yet another Professor of War Studies, which tbh i had no idea that was even a thing) thinks Putin may be contemplating how to climb down in a face saving way.

Last edited:
Truss gets another slap down.

The UK’s chief of the defence staff has slapped down Liz Truss’s suggestion that Britons could travel to Ukraine to take up arms in the war against Russia, saying doing so would be illegal.

Sir Tony Radakin urged people not to rush towards “the sound of gunfire” and stressed there were many other ways that people in the UK could support those resisting the advancement of Vladimir Putin’s troops.

The unusually direct comment will be viewed as a strict admonishment of the foreign secretary’s suggestion, which had already been rejected by the defence secretary, Ben Wallace.

having never seen thrends

i'm guess watching it is not that much fun even without the current climate :hmm:

Article by someone who says she’s spoken to many officials inside the Russian government machine who all think this is a disastrous mistake of Putin’s.
Content of the quotes chimes with that fsb letter.

Russian civil service is renowned for its open , speak to as many journalists as possible no blame culture .

Back
Top Bottom