Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

What are the chances that some Russian soldiers might decide "fuck this"...
Surely some of them are wondering wtf they are doing fighting there? Some will have Ukrainian relatives.
Any chance that the Russian Army Generals might turn on Putin?
Even if they don't decide "fuck this", it's a lot harder to go one-on-one against people who aren't that different from you...

I'd imagine, though, that the Russian military hierarchy will be looking over its shoulders a lot, and it'd be a brave general who decided to break ranks. It was very difficult for any kind of plot to happen within the German military under Hitler, because you just don't quite know who's going to dob you in, and the consequences then, as now, would be pretty grim for anyone suspected of not keeping the faith.

Question for Russian military experts - does the Russian army still maintain an equivalent to the old zampolit/political commissar framework?

He's dead. All the soldiers on that island are dead. Ha bloody ha.

The fucking state of some of you lot.
The soldiers on that island may well have decided whether dying at their posts was better than being taken captive by Russia. I think we can laugh at their sang froid without having to be laughing at the fact that they died.

And, when all is said and done, it's good propaganda and encouragement to the rest of the Ukrainian fighters. And that shit matters.

He's dead. All the soldiers on that island are dead. Ha bloody ha.

The fucking state of some of you lot.

I know the outcome, he knew what the likely outcome would be, that is very sad, I certainly wouldn't have done it, but I can still admire him for his action.

Now, why don't you go fuck yourself.

A lot of the video stuff seems to show logistics vehicles being crippled/damaged. Which I am guessing is no accident - that being quite a good way of screwing stuff up at the sharp end: a tank with no fuel or ammunition has to be a bit of a sitting duck.

One good reason not to try and conquer an entire massive country in one day.

A lot of the sanctions are just that.
"What can we do that makes it look like we're doing something, without actually doing anything?"

Though, TBF, with a loony in the Kremlin and a lot of nuclear missiles available, it's not entirely madness to be holding back from getting more involved. The last thing the West (and, we might hope, Russia) really wants is a nuclear exchange.

"What can we do that makes it look like we're doing something, without actually doing anything?"

Though, TBF, with a loony in the Kremlin and a lot of nuclear missiles available, it's not entirely madness to be holding back from getting more involved. The last thing the West (and, we might hope, Russia) really wants is a nuclear exchange.
Put a halt on Russia's energy exports - Putin's money maker. That's how you get to Putin but everyone is so very plugged in.

Sanctions are certainly not pointless. They don't act quickly but, in the end, they devastate a country's ability to actually equip and supply its military. Soldiers aren't doing anything if they aren't paid, tanks aren't going anywhere if they aren't supplied and helicopters aren't being replaced if there is no money. And that's without even getting to the popular dissatisfaction generated for a leadership as the sanctions bite. To retain control, governments are forced to take ever more unpopular draconian actions.

Arguably, it was (the equivalent of) sanctions that brought the Soviet empire to its knees.

Theres no question that at the moment Putin would use nukes if other countries got involved so it's totally right that they stay back. Personally I wouldn't even put massive sanctions on Russia either. Best to leave them to it and see who wins.

Back
Top Bottom