Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Reports that many Russian soldiers didn't even know why they were there and thought they were on training.

Had a long chat with someone in Ukraine in 2015 that had experience of the Russian military and that wouldn't surprise me at all. They said that many of the Russian soldiers had a very low level of education, were often treated very badly by the officers which bred resentment, they weren't trusted with much technology or often even with things like maps, and commanders on the ground were not given any leeway in running operations or decision making on the ground as situations changed. All-in-all generally a military from another era, albeit one with modern weaponry etc. He was also of the opinion that this was on the cards even back then, and a confrontation between Russia and NATO/EU or similar was not far behind.

Reports that many Russian soldiers didn't even know why they were there and thought they were on training.

Yes ..I read somewhere..that mothers of young lads who were starting their conscription had no idea they were sent off to war.

ETA and that their sons had no idea either

I do get that it feels very wrong to celebrate any deaths in this whole shitshow. But the grim fact is someone's going to die, and probably better it be people who chose to be in a warzone rather than people who didn't. Also better if it's the kind of thing that could put a big enough dent in morale and Russian tactics to bring the whole thing to an end sooner rather than later.

If they had surrendered they would probably be pows. Not dead.
This is about THEIR perception, though. And I imagine that they - only briefly - considered the possibility and decided in the moment that being captured was a less preferable option than making a brave stand. Let's face it, the history of war is littered with such examples of futile resistance, but it's understandable that people on the spot, and with little time to ponder a nuanced decision, might respond this way.

And I don't think we can really judge them for that.

I didn’t say it was , My previous post was about the failure of the largest trade block in Europe to take effective sanctions , a point made by the Ukrainian PM himself . I also said the same self interest applied to both the U.K. and EU .

I do get that it feels very wrong to celebrate any deaths in this whole shitshow. But the grim fact is someone's going to die, and probably better it be people who chose to be in a warzone rather than people who didn't. Also better if it's the kind of thing that could put a big enough dent in morale and Russian tactics to bring the whole thing to an end sooner rather than later.

The only person to blame here is Putin.

This is about THEIR perception, though. And I imagine that they - only briefly - considered the possibility and decided in the moment that being captured was a less preferable option than making a brave stand. Let's face it, the history of war is littered with such examples of futile resistance, but it's understandable that people on the spot, and with little time to ponder a nuanced decision, might respond this way.

And I don't think we can really judge them for that.

I was not judging them. I cried when I heard the story.

I went to Russia about 20 years ago and spent a couple of days sharing a train compartment with some Russian army cadets. They were just teen-agers and it was almost as if they were on a school trip, drinking vodka when the officers weren't looking and listening to tapes on each other's walkmans. Even so, some of them already had wives and kids. They were just a bunch of lads from poor families. I met enough people on that trip to know that there aren't a lot of opportunities in Russia especially outside of Moscow.

Can't take any joy in seeing Russian tanks blown up. The whole thing is a miserable tragedy on both sides. Obviously.

Putin or whoever else makes the decision to send folk off to war, those guys getting blown up is a different matter.

I was not judging them. I cried when I heard the story.
I wasn't suggesting you were judging them, though there are clearly some here who, with the benefit of hindsight and calm reflection, do seem to be.

And I, too, had a tear in my eye when I heard the recording...as, I learn, have many of those I've spoken to about it.

Theres no question that at the moment Putin would use nukes if other countries got involved so it's totally right that they stay back. Personally I wouldn't even put massive sanctions on Russia either. Best to leave them to it and see who wins.

What?

Leave it to might is right. Don't poke the bear, even if the bear is tearing it's way through your neighbours, just don't upset the bear in any way.

It's a bit ridiculous to suggest that the delay in applying sanctions demonstrates the "we" are a captive state or that "our" government has been infiltrated by the Russians though.
The vermin had substantial donations from oligarchs with connections to Putin and his circle. I imagine they expect some kind of return on their investment. In ordinary times this would and has meant access to the laundromat that is the City of London, but these are no longer ordinary times. It would be naive imo to entirely discount pressure from certain quarters. This is not to suggest we are captive or infiltrated but rather that favours are owed.

The vermin had substantial donations from oligarchs with connections to Putin and his circle. I imagine they expect some kind of return on their investment. In ordinary times this would and has meant access to the laundromat that is the City of London, but these are no longer ordinary times. It would be naive imo to entirely discount pressure from certain quarters. This is not to suggest we are captive or infiltrated but rather that favours are owed.
And there's good Russian money still tied to a load of Tories.

I sense the Russian soldiers aren't motivated at all for this. There's hardly anything patriotic to stand upon. For as much as I want them eliminated I feel bad for them having to do the dirty work for Putin.
In a lot of these videos of Ukrainians encountering Russian soldiers the soldiers' body language is more of embarrassment and discomfort than aggression. It does appear that a lot of them don't really seem to know why they're there

Back
Top Bottom