Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

yes...

then there's the scenario what if the Ukraine army actually DOES successfully makes a breakthrough at any one point, throw all the weaponry being held back and break Russian supplies lines, lets say at the areas they are 'testing'....lets say they make it half way to Mariupol....they will then be pincered from left and right and below by now-desperate russian forces. Biden's comment today about the Russian nuclear threat being "real" adds mood music to all this.

I'm absolutely no military historian but seems to me the scale of what would need to happen to reconquer all this territory is one thing in a WW2 style total war situation with every ally throwing everything they have to make it happen and fuck the consequences, but that's not what is happening here. Head US general Mark Milley has said as much that it is not a realistic possibility. From what i can see this is all infinitely more guarded and drip drip.

My reading is the US knows this, and is calculating on a relatively limited counteroffensive, carefully managed not to create a reactionary escalation from Russia, and going by earlier reports from the FT leading to a more official resignation to this new territorial reality by the end of the year. Or, they intend to continue with the slow blood letting for years to come < which would be deeply cynical IMO and achieve nothing but more death and suffering

Dont worry, one has been despatched and they will be arriving shortly

Walt is a derogatory term applied by _Russ_ to posters he believes feign a degree of military knowledge they do not in fact possess. Whether this derives from Walter Longmire, Walter White, Walter Mitty, Walter out of Dennis the Menace or some lesser-known Walter no one but _Russ_ knows, and he's not saying.
Ah, I figured it was somehow derogatory but the only person I know who would use it that way is Eric. Walt's brother. :)
I profess officially here and now to have no military knowledge beyond that which I have gleaned by tirelessly scouring Reddit and other dubious forums and reading many now out-of-date books in my youth, if that helps any. But I'm pretty sure that applies to 99% of our readership too. I have somehow ended up knowing an awful lot more about Kursk than the average human, but it ends pretty much there.

Walt is a derogatory term applied by _Russ_ to posters he believes feign a degree of military knowledge they do not in fact possess. Whether this derives from Walter Longmire, Walter White, Walter Mitty, Walter out of Dennis the Menace or some lesser-known Walter no one but _Russ_ knows, and he's not saying.
It derives from Walter Mitty. It's pretty well-known military slang for anyone who is presuming to greater knowledge/experience/rank/membership of SF than appears to actually be the case.

It's not confined to civilians, either - there's a fair smattering of ex-services out there whose less-than-stellar career morph on discharge into some kind of nose-tapping adventure with vague references to Shenanigans that, of course, cannot be spoken about.

It derives from Walter Mitty. It's pretty well-known military slang for anyone who is presuming to greater knowledge/experience/rank/membership of SF than appears to actually be the case.

It's not confined to civilians, either - there's a fair smattering of ex-services out there whose less-than-stellar career morph on discharge into some kind of nose-tapping adventure with vague references to Shenanigans that, of course, cannot be spoken about.
you're presuming, as i am not, that _Russ_ derives his term from mitty. he's been so tight-lipped on the matter we know no more than 'walt' whereas used as you suggest the mitty bit is usually given too

Does anyone have a link to any Maps that shows the Territory Ukraine has got back in this Counter Offensive ?
First preference is the interactive one by ISW - plus their daily reports {and a time-lapse version, updated monthly}

during the day I sometimes refer to this one as it shows incident locations

a third source is

Some happy news: my friend's family in Oleshky are not dead. They are just homeless. Living in a hostel for refugees with nothing except the clothes on their back, basically. The houses in the area will all collapse from the effects of the flooding cos of poor construction, most probably. All the cows are dead.

i think what you're driving at is that if the ukrainian forces break through then the salient thus created might be attacked with ukrainian forces potentially kettled.
Even WW1, with its grinding trench warfare there were breakouts, which usually ended in tears as they tested their ability for logistic resupply to destruction

grim reading
“The situation is not good,” he said. “We don’t have enough weapons and armoured vehicles.”
“We need better training,” he added. “I tell the recruits that they must pee in a bottle and then they leave the trench and are shot dead.”
Asked whether the offensive was making progress in Bakhmut, Tymchuk again went quiet. “I don’t know, 50:50,” he whispered.
Asked whether he had lost many friends, he became silent. “I would rather not say,” he said. “But a lot.”

I worry that theyve made such a big deal of the counteroffensive they wont dare back down now if it proves futile

Last edited:
grim reading
“The situation is not good,” he said. “We don’t have enough weapons and armoured vehicles.”
“We need better training,” he added. “I tell the recruits that they must pee in a bottle and then they leave the trench and are shot dead.”
Asked whether the offensive was making progress in Bakhmut, Tymchuk again went quiet. “I don’t know, 50:50,” he whispered.
Asked whether he had lost many friends, he became silent. “I would rather not say,” he said. “But a lot.”

I worry that theyve made such a big deal of the counteroffensive they wont dare back down now if it proves futile

You could be right, but you're very selective in what you quote, just for balance....

Back in Kyiv, where the Ukrainian capital’s air defences had shot down two dozen Iranian drones overnight, the Ukrainian MP Serhii Rakhmanin, who sits on the parliament’s defence committee, appealed for patience.

Just two of the 12 new battalions prepared for the offensive were yet in battle, he said, with much of the new western weaponry yet to be deployed. In a statement on her Telegram channel, Ukraine’s deputy defence minister Hanna Maliar wrote that the “biggest blow” was yet to come.

Reactions: LDC
grim reading

The media and some talking heads have made such a big deal. The Ukrainian State and armed forces have often talked about not unrealistic expectations or thinking that it'll be a pushover.

The media and some talking heads have made such a big deal. The Ukrainian State and armed forces have often talked about not unrealistic expectations or thinking that it'll be a pushover.
i just hope all those conscripted into the ukraine army arent being sent to their deaths just because the military commanders feels like a push is a good thing to be doing

i just hope all those conscripted into the ukraine army arent being sent to their deaths just because the military commanders feels like a push is a good thing to be doing

If you mean that you hope those conscripted into the Ukraine army are not just being sent into the meat grinder for no good reason, like their Russian counterparts have been, I would agree.

Having said that, and in the interest of balance, I suspect Ukraine has a lot more respect for their conscripts, than Russia.

I think most people would hope that. War is horribly wasteful of human life in any case, but to watch Russia's complete disregard for life is a whole other thing. Given the approach that Ukraine seems to have brought to its military in general, though, the idea that they'd be embracing futile, pointless "meat waves", and so on, doesn't seem a likely one.

I think most people would hope that. War is horribly wasteful of human life in any case, but to watch Russia's complete disregard for life is a whole other thing. Given the approach that Ukraine seems to have brought to its military in general, though, the idea that they'd be embracing futile, pointless "meat waves", and so on, doesn't seem a likely one.

I believe it's also part of NATO military doctrine and Ukrainę have something to prove in that regard.

Well, that's a simplistic and inaccurate position. Plus most are volunteers, but don't let any of that stop you from projecting your comfortable ideological position onto people in another country subject to military invasion, murder, attacks on civilian infrastructure, torture, and forced deportations.

Anyone disappointed by the pace so far should read the timeline for last year's Kherson offensive. They were HIMARSing depots and taking small villages in June/July, made small advances in August, didn't commit large numbers of troops till September, and took till October to liberate the whole oblast.

Obviously the situation doesn't match 1:1 but we are only just getting into the "small advances" phase. As far as I understand it, the idea is to probe probe probe, keep Russia moving reserves around, weakening their logistics and depleting their ammo/morale, and only putting their full weight behind the attack when they're sure they've got a weak enough spot to push it through. Pushing for the sake of pushing, into the blades of a meat grinder, is precisely not what they want to do.

Far too early to tell, in any case. If they're still skirmishing on the front lines, celebrating 500m of liberated territory in a month or two, then we can be disappointed.

See, I wouldn't even go that far - I think if the map hasn't changed much by the end of October, then I think there's a problem.

One of the main elements of the Kherson offensive is that it wasn't, broadly, interested in retaking thousands of square miles of territory by punching every Russian nose on that territory, it was by driving deep thrusts into the Russian rear area and cutting off its logistics and room for manouvere - and waiting for the Russians to do their sums, come to the obvious conclusion and withdraw themselves.

Western doctrine, and equipment, and formations, and training are built on this idea - it's much less attritional that advancing on a wide front, but it's one disadvantage is that it (generally) leaves the other guy in possession of a kind of functioning army, even if he's had to withdraw from where he needs to be. In western doctrine this is where airpower is used to destroy the coherent force that remains, but Ukraine may not be able to do that.

See, I wouldn't even go that far - I think if the map hasn't changed much by the end of October, then I think there's a problem.

One of the main elements of the Kherson offensive is that it wasn't, broadly, interested in retaking thousands of square miles of territory by punching every Russian nose on that territory, it was by driving deep thrusts into the Russian rear area and cutting off its logistics and room for manouvere - and waiting for the Russians to do their sums, come to the obvious conclusion and withdraw themselves.

Western doctrine, and equipment, and formations, and training are built on this idea - it's much less attritional that advancing on a wide front, but it's one disadvantage is that it (generally) leaves the other guy in possession of a kind of functioning army, even if he's had to withdraw from where he needs to be. In western doctrine this is where airpower is used to destroy the coherent force that remains, but Ukraine may not be able to do that.

Isn’t there also an, unpalatable, lesson from Iraq, that it isn’t necessarily a great idea to completely destroy the military and security forces of a country you want to occupy later.

Isn’t there also an, unpalatable, lesson from Iraq, that it isn’t necessarily a great idea to completely destroy the military and security forces of a country you want to occupy later.
I think one of the biggest issues in this war has been the tension between Ukraine, and some NATO states, who wanted Russia defeated and out of Ukraine, and other NATO states who want Russia defeated, out of Ukraine, but not a collapsing Balkans2.0 with 6000 nukes.

I think one of the biggest issues in this war has been the tension between Ukraine, and some NATO states, who wanted Russia defeated and out of Ukraine, and other NATO states who want Russia defeated, out of Ukraine, but not a collapsing Balkans2.0 with 6000 nukes.

And then there's Victor Orban who wants that bit of transcarpathia back and doesn't care about much else.

Back
Top Bottom