Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Well, judging by the 'noise level' this morning things are starting to speed up with the spring offensive, but it's not very clear what exactly is going on as the Ukrainians
understandably are not saying anything, I guess it'll be a while before we start getting reliable reports.

Whilst this is unlikely to bring the war to an end, let's hope it's the beginning of the end, because the alternative doesn't bear thinking of.

Great little video getting the message out to their own troops, and probably worrying the Russians too.

The way the radio news this morning came across and ISW's reports / maps covering yesterday's events have been in conflict, and rather confused me as to what has actually happened.
However, on the ISW map some areas of yellow have disappeared and blue ones have appeared in their place.

I think it would be wise to assume that we're not going to fully understand the Ukrainian offensive (and it's shaping operations, deception operations, successes and failures) until it's finished, and that it would be very wise to assume that while an expansionist/imperialist/whatever Russia is next to a Ukraine determined to resist it's rough wooing, it's not going to be finished.

The way the radio news this morning came across and ISW's reports / maps covering yesterday's events have been in conflict, and rather confused me as to what has actually happened.
However, on the ISW map some areas of yellow have disappeared and blue ones have appeared in their place.

StoneRoad when you look at the ISW website do you get a little pop-up saying something like, 'Dave X from Smalltown has just donated $45 to ISW'? I live in a small town in Yorkshire and get that with my town being where Dave (or whoever) is every time I look at ISW. It's clearly bollocks marketing/donation encouragement, I'd happily bet I'm the only person that lives here looking at ISW!

E2A: Unless my little town is secretly full of armchair general walting NATO shills.... :hmm:

Last edited:
StoneRoad when you look at the ISW website do you a little pop-up saying something like, 'Dave X from Smalltown has just donated $45 to ISW'? I live in a small town in Yorkshire and get that with my town being where Dave (or whoever) is every time I look at ISW. It's clearly bollocks marketing/donation encouragement, I'd happily bet I'm the only person that lives here looking at ISW!

If I want a map I usually sniff out the Rybar one

StoneRoad when you look at the ISW website do you get a little pop-up saying something like, 'Dave X from Smalltown has just donated $45 to ISW'? I live in a small town in Yorkshire and get that with my town being where Dave (or whoever) is every time I look at ISW. It's clearly bollocks marketing/donation encouragement, I'd happily bet I'm the only person that lives here looking at ISW!

E2A: Unless my little town is secretly full of armchair general walting NATO shills.... :hmm:
yeah I get that, plus a few people from other places - I usually block the popup via the adblocker.
now I'm wondering how it would deal with my using a vpn ...

Reactions: LDC
Also to put into the mix is the toxic divisions between the Russian Army and Wagner group - so there is no co-ordinated overall defence. How the fuck putin has allowed that situation to develop is pretty mystifying.

Also to put into the mix is the toxic divisions between the Russian Army and Wagner group - so there is no co-ordinated overall defence. How the fuck putin has allowed that situation to develop is pretty mystifying.

If they’re busy fighting between each other, they’re distracted from usurping Putin.

Tactic as old as the hills. Hitler used it extensively.

Covered by NYT today.

In some ways the article misses a very important point : it’s not the impact on the Russians and their propaganda , it’s not even the impact on Western supporters of Ukraine , it’s the impact of the normalisation of far right symbols , ideology and now armed fascists in a post war civil society in Ukraine.

So the Kakhovka dam has gone. People seem to be blaming the Russians and saying it will significantly affect the Ukrainian offensive, but they must have known this was likely to happen at some point. Also it would seem to isolate the occupiers in southern Ukraine from Kherson al lthe way through towards Mariopul meaning they can't be resupplied from Crimea or retreat there.

Also it would seem to isolate the occupiers in southern Ukraine from Kherson al lthe way through towards Mariopul meaning they can't be resupplied from Crimea or retreat there.
Not sure this is true?

There's still railway and road connections between Crimea and the rest of occupied Ukraine far from where the flooding is likely to occur.

Map of southern Ukraine and Crimea (dam circled):

5492AB8C-C6F7-4646-8A91-065DDA61EF2C.jpeg

And a map of the likely flooding downstream of the blown dam:

69E89839-37F5-4618-B0B5-C3EAEC31CC94.jpeg

There will be consequences for the Crimean water supply, as well as knock on effects to the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant further up, but can't see that transport in and out of Crimea will be affected? Certainly not to the point of isolating everything across to Mariupol, which is extremely close to the Russian border anyway.

Last edited:
Saw this thread from a journalist on NPR in the US - doesn't, because who can, rule out the Russians doing it deliberately, but makes a convincing/plausible argument that this is simply the Russians being their normal careless/incompetent selves - Chernobyl, Lake Baikal, rotting nuclear subs in the Arctic etc...

Saw this thread from a journalist on NPR in the US - doesn't, because who can, rule out the Russians doing it deliberately, but makes a convincing/plausible argument that this is simply the Russians being their normal careless/incompetent selves - Chernobyl, Lake Baikal, rotting nuclear subs in the Arctic etc...

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence".

And yes, Russia has demonstrated, throughout this invasion, a staggering level of incompetence that, even now, its apologists are unable to see.

There is a word in Russian - смекалка - which, directly translated, means "savvy" or "wit". Its darker meaning is the way in which stupid things get done because of constraints of the system. The example I found the word in was from the testing phase of the Ka-29 missile, whose seeker was designed to identify a target and lock on: in practice, it failed to do this, so the solution - in order to get a favourable test result - was to paint the building they were trying to hit bright yellow. Hurrah, a hit (although even that went wrong, as they "helpfuilly" painted the road outside the building yellow, too, and the missile hit that instead) and somewhere along the way, everyone forgot that it was rather unlikely that NATO were going to paint all their buildings yellow.

Letting the reservoir fill up to overflowing to ensure more downstream destruction is Evil 101 though. I find blowing the dam more plausible, but I wouldn't completely rule out natural causes.
have there been unreported massive deluges of rain in ukraine / people's republic of putin lately?

Back
Top Bottom