Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Russia's just been warming up for the past year or so, when it wants to it will stop the wholesale slaughter of its own troops and really get stuck in. Fucking delusional prick.
He's not delusional. He knows he's lying. He just doesn't care. It does seem to be a very Russian thing (so I presume Boris Johnson was taking lessons from his Russian mates).

OK. How about this?
Sauron - Putin
Saruman - Levtushenko
Frodo Baggins - Zelensky
Shelob the Great - NATO
Gandalf - Biden
Russian drones - the Nazgul
Ukrainian drones - the Great Eagles
Tom Bombadil - Top Cat?

Surely TC is The Steward of Gondor in this weird fiction?

It was fairly common on here early on in line with the Ukrainians using it but I don’t recall the last time I’ve seen a poster use it (the Ukrainians are still going heavy on it)
That's pretty understandable. I do think dehumanising the opposition is an unwise line to take, but if you've got to point stuff at them to kill them, it's going to be easier if you don't see them as people.

If you have to watch/read one classic fantasy series, make it Lord of the Rings.

I got a box set of Game Of Thrones as a present and tbh it sat gathering dust until I moved for a month to a place over here that had no internet so I had to watch DVDs . I quite enjoyed that mainly for the twists in the plot. Wasnt arsed about the dragons though.

Or you could read one of the better fantasy authors

Tolkien was the first to go mainstream, as we would describe it now, indeed some have argued he created the genre, and whilst they would be wrong, that certainly is seen as his place in literature. Mind I don’t actually like Fantasy that much. Having read the LOTR books twice I’m not sure I ever will again. But then The only fantasy I’d go back to is Pratchett and, arguably he isn’t really fantasy, so what do I know. ( I do like Martin’s SF though TBF).

On Screen The first few series of GOT is far more entertaining than LOTR , what with humour, proper characters and fucking.

Tolkien was the first to go mainstream, as we would describe it now, indeed some have argued he created the genre, and whilst they would be wrong, that certainly is seen as his place in literature. Mind I don’t actually like Fantasy that much. Having read the LOTR books twice I’m not sure I ever will again. But then The only fantasy I’d go back to is Pratchett and, arguably he isn’t really fantasy, so what do I know.

On Screen The first few series of GOT is far more entertaining than LOTR , what with humour, proper characters and fucking.

I do like the Robert Rankin books , especially The Brentford Trilogy, which are sort of fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom