Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Sadly, the ruskies have got plenty of form for bombing / shelling hospitals.

IMO, if the target had no military personnel under treatment, then deliberately shelling/bombing/mrls'ing civilian medical facilities should automatically be a war crime.

Sadly, the ruskies have got plenty of form for bombing / shelling hospitals.

IMO, if the target had no military personnel under treatment, then deliberately shelling/bombing/mrls'ing civilian medical facilities should automatically be a war crime.
Iirc even military hospitals are not supposed to be targets as they are supposed to treat casualties from both sides. :(

Pretty scary stuff.

It seems that the Z fanatics are pushing for a total war situation, to mobilise all of society and every aspect of the economy towards the war, which would mean the fascistisation of Russia is complete.

However Putin himself doesn't want this, because the system he is on the top of depends on the depoliticisation and passivity of the population. Mobilising them could be unpredictable and backfire.

Pretty scary stuff.

It seems that the Z fanatics are pushing for a total war situation, to mobilise all of society and every aspect of the economy towards the war, which would mean the fascistisation of Russia is complete.

However Putin himself doesn't want this, because the system he is on the top of depends on the depoliticisation and passivity of the population. Mobilising them could be unpredictable and backfire.
I totally agree with the latter sentence, however, a war economy doesn't equal fascism nor is it by itself a step in that direction.

I read this article the other day which tries to dig a little more into attitudes to the war in Russian society

The term "Russki" seems to be being used quite freely in this thread. It's a kind of ethnic slur like "Chinky".

And in any case it's not Russian people in general who have started this war, it's a very small subset of Russians who hold the power.

A search finds approx 15 mentions in 797 pages and at least half are clearly satire or quoting a headline/using it as an example of propaganda

The term "Russki" seems to be being used quite freely in this thread. It's a kind of ethnic slur like "Chinky".

And in any case it's not Russian people in general who have started this war, it's a very small subset of Russians who hold the power.
I do try not to use depersonalising and pejorative words for Russians, but I'm not going to sit in judgement of those who do - particularly Ukrainians.

Pretty scary stuff.

What a waste of life and resources that would be. And, given the size of the Russian economy, doomed to disaster. Definitely for Russia , quite possibly for the world should they reach for their nuclear weapons as they lost.

But the clique in control around Putin know this. Stalin’s quote on how WW2 was won ‘ British Intelligence, American Steel, Russian Blood’ and the one attributed to Admiral Yamamoto ( although probably not his) ‘Don’t go to war with a country that builds more cars than you’ apply.

The worrying thing is will whoever replaces Putin believe these don’t apply anymore.

Last edited:
A search finds approx 15 mentions in 797 pages and at least half are clearly satire or quoting a headline/using it as an example of propaganda

"Satire/Clearly satire": I want to use racist clichés but don't dare call me a racist.

Hmmm, four people in a thread of nearly 800 pages, three of those over a year ago. I hope Bahnhof Strasse, weltweit, belboid and petee feel suitably chastised though.

I do find it quite offensive how you're drawing an equivalence between those two terms though, given one has got a long and nasty history of racist abuse against a minority ethnic community in this country and the other, well, doesn't.

That should teach them pesky russkies

It’s about one a week, so the russkies look bang on the average

i'm not seeing this stuff about bergoglio being ambivalent or whatever. he's thinking within a certain mindframe and if he doesn't encourage ukranians to off a bunch of russkies, well, he wouldn't, would he.

An unhappy Russki writes...

"Back in the good old days of the Soviet Union, we used to take advantage of other countries to fight proxy wars agains the US for us - in Korea Vietnam, Afghanistan. And due to special genius of Putin we are the proxy in the conflict between the US and China.

Russian men are requested to fight not only for their oligarchs’ yachts and mansions, but for the prosperity of their new Chinese masters."

I totally agree with the latter sentence, however, a war economy doesn't equal fascism nor is it by itself a step in that direction.

I read this article the other day which tries to dig a little more into attitudes to the war in Russian society

Not by itself, no; but basically the only reason why I'd say Russia isn't quite fascist right now is because there is no attempt at mass mobilisation.

From Encylopedia Britannica:

characteristically attempted to win popular support and consolidate their power by mobilizing the population in mass meetings, parades, and other gatherings. Exploiting principles borrowed from modern American advertising, which stressed the importance of appealing to the audience’s emotions rather than to its reason, fascists used such gatherings to create patriotic fervour and to encourage fanatic enthusiasm for the fascist cause. The Nazi rallies at Nürnberg, for example, were organized with theatrical precision and featured large banners, paramilitary uniforms, martial music, torchlight parades, bonfires, and forests of fascist salutes accompanied by prompted shouts of “Sieg Heil!” Hitler believed it best to hold such gatherings at night, when audiences would be more susceptible than in the daytime to irrational appeals. Fascists also sought to regiment the population, especially young people, by infiltrating local social networks—tavern groups and veteran, sports, church, student, and other organizations—and providing soup kitchens, vacation outings, and nationalistic ceremonies for townspeople.

While Russia has started on a tendency towards mass rallies since the war began, the latter aspect of mass mobilisation has not yet happened. United Russia has not yet started infiltrating local social networks, (however this does exist in China, which is why I'd be more comfortable saying China is fascist than Russia) but if there was a full wartime mobilisation I expect we would necessarily see an evolution in this direction.

I thought comparing to "Chinky" was disingenuous at the very least.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say it was racist even if it’s used as an insult and as a sort of Cold War dismal of Russians.

Now I know I will continue to not use it

I presume that, now this is resolved, you will be making the same complaint and holding other posters to your own high standards by challenging the use of 'Septics' to describe citizens of the United States of America. A term more abusive than the one you highlighted and used more times on this thread. (A term I used my self on occasion, until I modified my behaviour in light of challenge. )

I await your speedy action.

Pay walled, but just the tweet is a reminder of the real human cost behind the headlines and rhetoric.

The article itself is pretty badly written and suggests Ukraine is tossing volunteers into the grinder as well, ymmv as to how accurate it is.

The tweet itself is enough to go on and it does just sound so horrible alongside the images coming out of it

Don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say it was racist even if it’s used as an insult and as a sort of Cold War dismal of Russians.

Now I know I will continue to not use it

It is quite literally the Russian word for a Russian.

Like calling a French person Francais.

But teuchter doesn’t know that, nor does he care, was just to be snide on a thread dismayed at the slaughter going on in Ukraine right now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom