Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Putin relies on his oligarch class and hangers on to maintain power. Why would he press the button? All that would come to an end for all of them which, presumably, they don't desire.

I would think that the relationships are much more two way than that. I think it's a much more like a series of circular power relationships - that he needs them, and they need him.

I also think it would be unwise to ascribe a particular pattern or thread of rationality to him/his circle - they are simply motivated by stuff we don't really grasp, and in proportions (hopes/fears/greed etc..) that we don't understand - nor do we understand how the events of the last year, as they understand them, have influenced those thought patterns among the different individuals.

I would think that the relationships are much more two way than that. I think it's a much more like a series of circular power relationships - that he needs them, and they need him.

I also think it would be unwise to ascribe a particular pattern or thread of rationality to him/his circle - they are simply motivated by stuff we don't really grasp, and in proportions (hopes/fears/greed etc..) that we don't understand - nor do we understand how the events of the last year, as they understand them, have influenced those thought patterns among the different individuals.
I fully accept that I don't understand and I'm mostly projecting; kind of scary that you don't understand either.

I fully accept that I don't understand and I'm mostly projecting; kind of scary that you don't understand either.

None of us perfectly understand the people we spend our lives with. The idea that we might perfectly understand someone we don't know is foolish.

We have some solid knowledge of the factors that make him /some of his circle tick, but the idea that we would understand exactly what's going on inside his head - unless CIA or SIS have bugged his inner monologue - is to fail to understand that this is about people, and people can be unpredictable, particularly when placed in new/stressful circumstances.

More than 66,000 Russian war crimes now reported - works out to a little over one every seven minutes since the invasion, and doesn't include many crimes in Mariupol and other areas that are still occupied.

Over 66,000 additional alleged war crimes have been reported to Ukrainian authorities since the Russian invasion last February, according to Ukraine’s Office of the Prosecutor General. The number is growing by hundreds every day as investigators fan out into areas retaken from the Russians and Ukrainians step up to lodge complaints, ranging from the theft of property to torture, murder, rape, the deportation of Ukrainian children to Russia and the relentless missile strikes against Ukrainian infrastructure.

The Czechs have elected a retired NATO general over their populist, slightly Trumpish former PM. The tipping point in the run up was when Babis said that he wouldn't commit the Czech army to Poland's defense in the case of Russian attack. (Essentially breaking NATO obligations). His loss was well received in Poland.

Russian milbloggers claimed that Wagner Group fighters northeast of Bakhmut are continuing attacks on Krasna Hora (5km north of Bakhmut) and reached the outskirts of Sacco and Vanzetti village (10km north of Bakhmut).

Russia are advancing on several fronts at the moment, at considerable cost, but they’re happy expending lives for it. Ukraine don’t have the resources to counterattack right now, with western tanks still likely a couple of months away. Hope they can hold out the defence until then, Russia rumoured to be sending 200,000 troops to attack in the south and east, more than they used in the initial invasion across a much wider front.

Russia are advancing on several fronts at the moment, at considerable cost, but they’re happy expending lives for it. Ukraine don’t have the resources to counterattack right now, with western tanks still likely a couple of months away. Hope they can hold out the defence until then, Russia rumoured to be sending 200,000 troops to attack in the south and east, more than they used in the initial invasion across a much wider front.
It was the name of the village that I was highlighting tbh.

Reactions: Sue
Thread explaining the dark logic behind the human wave attacks at Bakhmut. I debated whether to put it in the Rumours thread but figured it would be of interest to people watching this larger thread so here it is with caveats. I don't know if that website is legit but Chris O seems to be fairly on it generally.

CW - violent content

Original source:

Last edited:
Thread explaining the dark logic behind the human wave attacks at Bakhmut. I debated whether to put it in the Rumours thread but figured it would be of interest to people watching this larger thread so here it is with caveats. I don't know if that website is legit but Chris O seems to be fairly on it generally.

Original source:

That's pretty horrific reading.

That's pretty horrific reading.

It is, I try and avoid comparisons to WW2 but the only time I heard of "discipline" like that was in USSR/Nazi punishment battalions and towards the end of the war during the German collapse when it became more widespread practice.

I guess there could be parallels with the fact there are a lot of criminals in Wagner but christ almighty...

I've added a CW and spoilered the tweet.

The IOC are frankly a bunch of fuckwits.
Curious story as according to Reuters "Some national Olympic committees, including Olympic heavyweights United States, have backed the possible return of those athletes under a neutral flag."

There is a lot more in here however this decision seems to have been made on the back of consultation rather than just by the committee itself and a couple of days later the IOC reaffirmed its backing for sanctions and rejected Ukraine's criticism "The IOC rejects in the strongest possible terms this and other defamatory statements," the IOC said in a statement. "They cannot serve as a basis for any constructive discussion."

IOC claims support for Russian return after Zelenskyy voices opposition

It is, I try and avoid comparisons to WW2 but the only time I heard of "discipline" like that was in USSR/Nazi punishment battalions and towards the end of the war during the German collapse when it became more widespread practice.

I guess there could be parallels with the fact there are a lot of criminals in Wagner but christ almighty...

I've added a CW and spoilered the tweet.
I think it's tempting to think "Oh, Hitler, Nazis, etc, thank goodness that's all in the past", and then something like this comes along and it's so obviously not all in the past.

The horrifying thing is that, at least in the short term, it WORKS :(

I'm listening to Al Murray's podcasts about Stalingrad at the moment, and there's a very similar vibe going on there - NKVD "blocking" forces that patrolled behind the lines and executed any soldiers who fled the almost-certain death on the battlefield itself. There's plenty of precedent.

I'm listening to Al Murray's podcasts about Stalingrad at the moment, and there's a very similar vibe going on there - NKVD "blocking" forces that patrolled behind the lines and executed any soldiers who fled the almost-certain death on the battlefield itself. There's plenty of precedent.

That reminds me, I keep meaning to do a thread about history podcasts. I don't do almost as many long drives as I used to, but they do pass the time well.

I think it's tempting to think "Oh, Hitler, Nazis, etc, thank goodness that's all in the past", and then something like this comes along and it's so obviously not all in the past.

The horrifying thing is that, at least in the short term, it WORKS :(

Are any of these "blocking" forces in the current conflict within range of Ukrainian ordnance? I would be interested in hearing if there have been any attacks on such forces and if so, what effect they've had on the disposition of the Russian troops they're effectively holding a gun to the back of. Seems like it would be a two-for-one deal, weakening resolve while also eliminating the troops more likely to have decent weapons.

Are any of these "blocking" forces in the current conflict within range of Ukrainian ordnance? I would be interested in hearing if there have been any attacks on such forces and if so, what effect they've had on the disposition of the Russian troops they're effectively holding a gun to the back of. Seems like it would be a two-for-one deal, weakening resolve while also eliminating the troops more likely to have decent weapons.
AIUI, there are multiple layers of blocking forces around Bakhmut - convicts in front, mobiks behind, and regular troops behind them. Although that looks to be changing. But yes, it would strike me as quite a sound tactical move to take out the blocking forces and thus diminish the "resolve" of the frontline troops.

Back
Top Bottom