Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Restoring Ukraines borders is not about Ukraine but about not allowing the strong to simply open new tears in old wounds to expand their territory. Its about letting small European countries know that Europe is a collective that will stand up for the small countries and protect them from armies with tanks seeking to redraw their borders.

I do not expect to reach you with this comment. But it might help some to think about why this matters.
Did you read the article? Its saying the US and allies are not acting to restore Ukraine's borders, however much we may wish that to happen. They have a different strategy regarding Russia, a slower stalemate grind

As I think "we" should be. If Ukraine is left to twist in the wind, the West really has no credibility left in terms of its response to a constant, and ongoing, campaign of aggression by Russia.
After Iraq and Afghanistan I don't suppose the west has much credibility. Everyone knows the west will walk away from Ukraine at some point, and will fleece the country too. I think a lot of people are kidding themselves about us or british or whatnot altruism or doing the right thing for a change.

From the wests POV the war damage to the built environment / infrastructure provides fertile opportunities for the Halliburton du jour
Black Rock Capital were in a few weeks ago for talks with Zelensky on rebuilding and privatisations. And so it goes.

Russia: "Kherson is Russian territory now and the people living there are Russian citizens."

Also Russia: "Let's blow up some hospitals in Kherson and see how many babies we can kill."

The strike on Tomchenko’s hospital marked at least the fifth time Russian forces have hit a medical facility in Kherson city since early December.
One attack hit a different maternity ward just 20 minutes after a baby was born, and this week, another struck the city’s children’s hospital. Russian forces are also shelling other civilian infrastructure. In recent weeks, they hit a market, a museum and many homes. Dozens of people were killed and more than 150 wounded.

After Iraq and Afghanistan I don't suppose the west has much credibility. Everyone knows the west will walk away from Ukraine at some point, and will fleece the country too. I think a lot of people are kidding themselves about us or british or whatnot altruism or doing the right thing for a change.

Maybe. I hope this is different because it's on the boarders of Europe and there is greater interest not to have a Russian client state right next door.

But 'we' will chuck loads of money into Ukraine afterwards until 'we; get bored. this will make it a lille bit less fucked -though 'our' companies will coincidently end up owning lots of their stuff...
as i said on another thread, perhaps the ukrainians should enjoy the war for the peace will be bloody

Back
Top Bottom