Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

It was more of a series of linked explosions. Pretty sure Hiroshima wins the single blast death tally.
Major General Charles Harington told war correspondents witnessing the secret operation: “Gentlemen, I do not know whether we shall change history tomorrow, but we shall certainly alter the geography.”

From the linked article. That’s dry, very witty.

Well true. I mean it might be murky in this war, but in the major wars of the 20th century, historians have plenty of data to pick over.
when i used to work in a local authority archive there was a man came in who was researching rolls of honour for a school and he found that several of the men listed had survived the first world war. that school unlikely to have been the only list with errors in it, so there will be thousands of people wrongly listed among 'the glorious dead'. and while say the americans can name everyone of theirs who died in vietnam, i don't suppose the same can be said for the vietnamese who they killed. plenty of data doesn't mean plenty of accurate data.

Well true. I mean it might be murky in this war, but in the major wars of the 20th century, historians have plenty of data to pick over.
I've posted this before , its a quick article on the calculation of war deaths

Not sure what Guy is up to here to be quite honest , unless he is rattling the tin for the American's more arms strategy. Firstly any base line with 2021 is surely a little dubious due to covid secondly I would suggest its not volume of imports that's increased its actually energy prices and finally I think a fuller picture would be last six months 2022 first six months 2023. Anyway up the Lib Dems.

FlihV6ZWQAAfQbp

Last edited:
Not sure what Guy is up to here to be quite honest , unless he is rattling the tine for the American's more arms strategy. Firstly any base line with 2021 is surely a little dubious due to covid secondly I would suggest its not volume of imports that's increased its actually energy prices and finally I think a fuller picture would be last six months 2022 first six months 2023. Anyway up the Lib Dems.

FlihV6ZWQAAfQbp
I'ld say most of that is down to the increase in fossil fuel prices, not avoiding sanctions.

I’m a bit spooked by the lauding of the death of 400 conscripts across social media tbh. Yes I know it’s war and shit happens but the way this is being heralded is uncomfortable to me.

/ lightweight hand wringer obvs
depends what social media you see i guess
everything you can think of is there on social media

I’m a bit spooked by the lauding of the death of 400 conscripts across social media tbh. Yes I know it’s war and shit happens but the way this is being heralded is uncomfortable to me.

/ lightweight hand wringer obvs

You're right.

The poor souls should have been spared that awful twist of fate.

So they could then go on to kill hundreds of Ukrainian civilians.

1672871764079.png

:( :( :( :mad:

You're right.

The poor souls should have been spared that awful twist of fate.

So they could then go on to kill hundreds of Ukrainian civilians.

:( :( :( :mad:
There’s that.
And there’s the fact that they were conscripts who didn’t want to be there and probably didn’t want to kill hundreds of Ukrainians even if their incompetent commanders had equipped them with adequate means to do so.
Basically war is shit and ordinary people are pawns and victims of the rich and powerful.
It’s like ordinary life dialled up to 11.

There’s that.
And there’s the fact that they were conscripts who didn’t want to be there and probably didn’t want to kill hundreds of Ukrainians even if their incompetent commanders had equipped them with adequate means to do so.
Basically war is shit and ordinary people are pawns and victims of the rich and powerful.
It’s like ordinary life dialled up to 11.
This is true, but also what a_chap said. War is about them or us.

It really is.
But I can sympathise with the handwringing too. It's a luxury we can indulge from the relative safety of the UK.
No way if I were in Ukraine.
That's the way I see it, too. I'm not going to judge Ukrainians for celebrating something like this, but I don't feel entitled to celebrate it myself. Same as I don't much like calling Russians "orcs".

Once again, this was me listening to the world service, so no link to back it up, but was listening to an interview with a Ukrainian commander in Bakhmut last night. He was describing how they were having to retreat in places because of the waves of soldiers that were being sent at them. They were killing a lot of them, but they keep coming. I know there must be a certain amount of fear from these soldiers, but must still be an incredibly tough thing to do and right out of the Russia's WW2 playbook. Except they haven't got the same population as before and modern weapons are even more devastating. How long can the Russians sustain this kind of warfare?

This is true, but also what a_chap said. War is about them or us.

'War is about them or us' , (a phrase that fits more squarely, in my opinion, if whoever is saying it is actually somehow party to the war directly) only reflects one aspect or feeling about war. It can exist alongside but cannot exclude the other, sometimes inconvenient, aspects of war, for example, the conscientious objectors, those who want peace, and those who dodge the draft or flee the country.

'War is about them or us' doesn't explain or prevent the huge anti-war protests of the late 20c and early 21c, it doesn't cover the instances when civil society has protested about the impact of war measures on day to day lives , the restrictions on trade unions for example or protests about inequalities during a war. Does 'War is about them or us' explain the mistreatment or summary execution of prisoners of war, or indeed the view that POWs should be treated fairly?

It says nothing about who is 'us' and who is 'them', nothing about the vested interests within the 'us' and within the 'them'. It says little or nothing about collaborationist regimes that have occurred during war. The aftermath of WW2 saw the ruling elites of 'us ' in some countries turn on partisan fighters who had fought for 'us' and in other countries sections of the 'us' soon found new 'thems' , sometimes former allies. Of course, the phrase takes on a different meaning during the occasions when the country's rulers have been toppled in the middle of a war and peace agreed with the enemy.

Least of all 'war is about them or us' says nothing about the future after the war.

Germany Poised to Supply Ukraine With Armored Combat Vehicles
Germany is nearing a decision to send infantry fighting vehicles to help Ukraine fight off Russia’s military invasion as pressure mounts on Chancellor Olaf Scholz to match commitments from France and the US.
The government in Berlin is in talks with allies to coordinate an announcement, which could come within days, according to people familiar with the matter. One option is to provide dozens of Marder combat vehicles from industry stocks, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private.
A decision hasn’t been finalized, but the talks are advanced, the people said. A meeting of defense officials in the so-called Ramstein format, which includes European Union and NATO allies, is scheduled for mid-January and could be an important milestone, one of the people said.
(from Bloomberg)
Marders are 1960s\70s era German armoured personnel carriers. But as they have a 20mm gun on them, they are officially "infantry fighting vehicles". There is a lot of political handwringing about what can and cannot be sent by who and what would be escalatory etc, APCs are seen as non escalatory, so they have been sent in numbers, IFVs were seen as escalatory and have not yet been sent. Several large armies are moving to post cold war systems such as the UK and Germany or have majorly cut down in numbers of soldiers so have spare IFVs that everyone has spent 10 months debating over if its a risk sending them.

The US has all but said its sending its old Bradleys from storage. Once the US has done this others will feel they are politically covered for sending other such systems.

While the 20mm gun is seen as the difference between the two, the late cold war vehicles have much more advanced armour, much heavier and most importantly vastly better sensors, so are just a completely different level. That is likely what the Russians really fear.

Rumour Putin is going to order a Christmas ceasefire (January 7 in the Orthodox churches.)

Editing in a source
Putin instructs forces to observe a ceasefire over Orthodox Christmas
Putin has instructed Russia’s defence minister to introduce a ceasefire in Ukraine from 12:00 local time on Friday to midnight on Saturday, in line with the Orthodox Christian Christmas.
There was no immediate response from Ukraine, which earlier on Thursday rejected a call from the head of the Russian Orthodox
No direct link so it will go stage over an hour or two

Ukraine rejects call by Russian church head for truce

Back
Top Bottom