Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

There's been so many people killed at this point that it can just seem like statistics - occasionally you get a bit more detail on individual civilian deaths, as in this Washington Post account of a 2-day-old boy killed in a Russian attack on a hospital.

Each of the relatives hugged her, urging her to be strong. As most of them left, her mother gave Kamianetska advice on what to do with her breast milk, now that she would not be nursing.

That night, Kamianetska dreamed of her son. In the dream, he was hungry, and wanted breakfast. So the following morning, she returned to the cemetery to bring him cookies and chocolate. This time, she brought the children along to the grave, to meet their baby brother for the first time.

I have read several articles about the oil price cap. Not sure how it’s meant to work though. Anyone want to run it down?

The west are saying they’ll only pay £48 a barrel for Russian oil. Russia are saying they won’t sell it for that price. It’s another financial sanction Putin will have to deal with.
I thought there was an EU embargo against Russian oil?

Ok, unless you have unilaterally sanctioned Russian oil imports, then you can still buy its oil but only at a max price of 60 $ iirc. The Russian production cost isn’t too much less than that, so it’s minimising the margins involved. Yiu won’t be able to access infrastructure and financing unless you can prove it is below the cap. It’s about depriving the buyers from accessing the full market support for their business

Without the paperwork or insurance, then demurrage comes up when you can’t use ports and stuff and it can get hugely expensive. Russia is circumventing this apparently by kick starting some of the thousands of monthballed antique tankers lying around the globe to perform . They won’t be insured most likely and will be polluting death traps

Last edited:
Ok, unless you have unilaterally sanctioned Russian oil imports, then you can still buy its oil but only at a max price of 60 $ iirc. The Russian production cost isn’t too much less than that, so it’s minimising the margins involved. Yiu won’t be able to access infrastructure and financing unless you can prove it is below the cap. It’s about depriving the buyers from accessing the full market support for their business
I'm still confused. Is the EU embargo against Russian oil still happening next week or has this cap replaced it?

Scum like Marc rich were big on sanction dodging back in the day. Now scum like trafigura and gkrncote and other Swiss canton based shitehawk perform the same role in this grey area.

I'm still confused. Is the EU embargo against Russian oil still happening next week or has this cap replaced it?
It’s part of it.

ETA some are still dependent on Russian oil and have their stuff set up for this business so it’s not quick or cheap to switch. The cap is meant to ensure that you can still buy legally but every transaction will be scrutinised. If you decide you buy above the cap, you effectively move into pirate territory and are in your own for the multitude of risks involved with this business

ETA 2. No one pays for a ship of oil with cash. It’s highly financed and utterly inflexible in terms of process that keeps both parties covered. Step outside these conventions and you are on your own

Last edited:
Incidentally, most people will never think too much about it, but dealing with all these sanctions is a bit of an administrative and logistical nightmare. We’ve had to set up a chain of controls to check nobody in the big supply chains we deal with has done naughty things. I hate to be churlish, but will nobody think of the international insurance companies?

Incidentally, most people will never think too much about it, but dealing with all these sanctions is a bit of an administrative and logistical nightmare. We’ve had to set up a chain of controls to check nobody in the big supply chains we deal with has done naughty things. I hate to be churlish, but will nobody think of the international insurance companies?
No

Seeing as you were asking I thought I’d go and take a look for you. I believe they have also supported the Georgian Legion but they do support other orgs.

View attachment 354138

Thanks. Just noticed that they have now removed any mention of Georgian Legion (and the Ukrainian World Congress) from the website. They used to have the Feed The Wolves line of clothing with all money going to The Georgian Legion. Could be 'cleaning up their act' , although Kamil Dyszewski still works there.

Ministers are refusing to review its 3% pay offer to NHS workers when inflation is running at 11%, with the Royal College of Nurses stepping up plans for strikes on 15 and 20 December.

Speaking on Sky News’ Ridge on Sunday, Zahawi insisted it was up to union leaders to call off the strike and suggested they were playing into the Russian president’s agenda as he uses high energy prices fuelling inflation as a “weapon” in his war against Ukraine.

Urging unions not to proceed with strike action, he said: “This is a time to come together and to send a very clear message to Mr Putin that we’re not going to be divided in this way … Our message to the unions is to say ‘this is not a time to strike, this is a time to try and negotiate’.”

Back
Top Bottom