Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

It appears that Ukrainians will be getting longer range missiles for a variety of systems including Himars, up to 160km.

I do find promotional videos for weapons systems a bit weird...

I think strategically it's also something of a courageous plan - missile attacks on hospitals, blocks of flats etc, energy infrastructure etc.. is far more likely to ensure that ever larger quantities of ever more capable weapons systems make their way to Ukraine.

Vlad has probably made the calculation that the atrocities, and the poor living conditions brought about by the damage/destruction of Ukraines power generation and distribution system - as well as his long standing belief that western Europe will cave - give him a negotiated result before the Ukrainian army defeats the Russian army.

He might be right, but he might not...
What must be the impact on stuff like the Ukrainian industry/economy? We hear stories of people having no power, being cold etc., but what about stuff like food production? Are industiral livestock sheds still heated or do the animals perish? Do milking machines work? Are cold stores losing all their stock? Are bakeries able to make bread? So much dependent on power, how long until there will be food aid having to be sent in in large quantities?

Also what about lighting and ventilation in air raid shelters? It’s all pretty bleak.

What must be the impact on stuff like the Ukrainian industry/economy? We hear stories of people having no power, being cold etc., but what about stuff like food production? Are industiral livestock sheds still heated or do the animals perish? Do milking machines work? Are cold stores losing all their stock? Are bakeries able to make bread? So much dependent on power, how long until there will be food aid having to be sent in in large quantities?

Also what about lighting and ventilation in air raid shelters? It’s all pretty bleak.

Absolutely, it's grim, like properly grim - Germany in 1945 grim - Ukraine's economy has been destroyed, but agriculture has been the saviour: it's generally on a much more local level, but its enough to keep everyone in bread, potatoes, cheese etc.. it's not a great diet, and many are on a couple of meals a week, but it could be a lot worse.

Imagine someone doing this to your house and your community?

The hatred for Russians is going to burn brightly for generations.
You see that in Poland. The young'uns have no knowledge of communism or the fight with Solidarity, but they hate Russians because everyone hates Russians. It's just what you do. You'd think they'd be upset with Germans too, but no. Germans are fine, because they're not Russian.

So Sunak promised AA guns and radars, are they going to be any good against Russian Drones?

If not I see Russia continually knocking out Ukraine's grid, as fast as they can repair it.

War Nerds will enjoy this very detailed report on the initital defensive phase of the war (eg feb-aug). Written by a very high-ranking Ukrainian officer and some British war nerds.

One of the best bits out of that:

C4D0FE17-1C9C-4DED-A88A-BC84FF1C2CF4.jpeg
basically they photographed damaged hangars/shelters, printed out at life size, repaired the hangars then covered them with the print of the damaged ones so Russia would assume they were already destroyed from satellite images and not target them. Genius stuff.

maybe they can do the same with power stations / electrical infrastructure, or fake hits when missiles have been intercepted, i.e.let off a load of smoke charges at the intended target site so it looks like the strike was a success.

But the drones are very small, not far away.
I'm hoping they are giving them something useful, but with the Uk government who the hell knows.

One of the issues with drones is that they are very cheap, possibly cheaper than the missile being used to shoot them down but you can't just leave them so basically they are a way of draining resources. Hopefully this combination will allow the Ukrainians to shoot them down without using expensive missiles.

I'm hoping they are giving them something useful, but with the Uk government who the hell knows.

One of the issues with drones is that they are very cheap, possibly cheaper than the missile being used to shoot them down but you can't just leave them so basically they are a way of draining resources. Hopefully this combination will allow the Ukrainians to shoot them down without using expensive missiles.
Stuff like the German Gepard is a reasonable match for drones, at least in ammunition cost terms, but I don't think they have many, and it's a bit of a "last mile" defence.

I'm reasonably sure that anti aircraft schizz can take out drones. Isn't that what they've been downing them with so far?

If you're talking about the ones being used as weapons, they're very small and numerous and are basically designed to overwhelm established defenses.

There are lots of sizes of drones ... how big are the reconnaissance ones, anyone know?

Ah, yes. Perhaps Welts was referring to the little reconnaissance ones. I was thinking about the big Iranian "Kamikaze" ones with bombs on, which are probably of more concern.

Back
Top Bottom