Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

It’s just been done to death and is a circular argument that pretty much everyone has an entrenched position on.

There’s even a specific thread for it, this one is about what is happening now and yesterday. Not what happened in the 90s.
What about the day before yesterday and maybe even stretching it to a few months before ?

Yeah but not everyone who reads the thread wants the taste of vinegar when they leave it. Give them some honey.

FTR I don't agree with that it's "all nato's fault" which is why it would be nice to hear why you also don't think that's the case.

tbf fella that a fair point but this thread evolved from just a standard PNP Thread

lots of people had the fear when this started and a lot of discussion has gone into taking down that fear

*fear being nuclear Armageddon

plenty of nice people to offer advise and understanding
all it takes is someone to engage like you have :)

Last edited:
I don't see the problem with revisiting old ground in a thread.

This thread is neigh 640 pages long now and folk will dip in and out and it is a discussion that some may come to later in the development of the war.

I've followed the thread from day one but having only recently read some of the the historical stuff on NATO, and the fall of the former soviet union I have actually found it really interesting. I also value the knowledge and insight that a number of posters on this thread have so much so that would like to engage with their thoughts about what their views are about some of what I've read, but to be honest the willy waving that goes on here just puts you off.

I don't have a massively informed opinion on some of these things but I know that in order to bolster my opinion it would help me from engaging in discussion with people who's views I'd benefit from engaging with IYSWIM.

If people can't ask questions that revisit previously discussed areas on a 600 page thread without being shouted down then it's not a discussion its just a "We did this 6 months ago" closed shop.

Where's the scope for advance dialogue and creating a shared consensus in that? Where's the actual 'Ongoing' discussion?

It seems it's OK to have a few pages of calling each other dickwads and wankstains but it's verboten to revisit themes and concepts that have previously been discussed by the main contributors of the discussion.

Wasn't this why a lot of board members historically said they stopped contributing to P&P and something we've said we'd sort out numerous times over the years?

Just asking like ;)

Anyway, I found this an interesting read.

If anyone can recommend anything else without sending me that old Google meme I'd appreciate it.
The period i'd look at is GWBush, post 9/11. Putin was in power . Bush was trying to build consensus about Islamic terrorism. Russia was reasonably sympathetic but voicing concerns about US getting involved with Ukraine and Georgia was talk of roping Russia in on air defense iirc....20 years on and Putin s talking holy war and buying drones off the Iranians. funny old world

tbf fella that a fair point but this thread evolved from just a standard PNP Thread

lots of people had the fear when this started and a lot of discussion has gone into taking down that fear

*fear being nuclear Armageddon

people of nice people to offer advise and understanding
all it takes is someone to engage like you have :)
Cheers.

The period i'd look at is GWBush, post 9/11. Putin was in power . Bush was trying to build consensus about Islamic terrorism. Russia was reasonably sympathetic but voicing concerns about US getting involved with Ukraine and Georgia was talk of roping Russia in on air defence
Yup thanks, been reading/podcasting a little on that sort of period too. It beats watching television.

Reactions: Ax^
What's wrong with just saying why you don't think it is NATO's fault and explaining why? Shirley that's more of a discussion. I know there's personality issues and beef drippin attached but it would be so much more interesting to read to a layperson if people just engaged with the posters position.

Are you... new to these boards by any chance?

7169r8.jpg

In view of the latest protracted arguments on here, and against my better judgment:
:facepalm:

The word 'conflict' you used to describe the war suggests a symmetry of claims etc, seriously at odds with the fact that Russia invaded Ukraine and is still seeking to destroy it.
That dictionary definition you posted does absolutely nothing to counter that.
It's a morally vacuous position that draws no distinction between the claims of Ukraine to national integrity and of Russia to a belligerent imperial landgrab.

In view of the latest protracted arguments on here, and against my better judgment:
:facepalm:

The word 'conflict' you used to describe the war suggests a symmetry of claims etc, seriously at odds with the fact that Russia invaded Ukraine and is still seeking to destroy it.
That dictionary definition you posted does absolutely nothing to counter that.
It's a morally vacuous position that draws no distinction between the claims of Ukraine to national integrity and of Russia to a belligerent imperial landgrab.
I used it as a synonym of war. You’d argue black was white and sugar was shite.

I used it as a synonym of war. You’d argue black was white and sugar was shite.
It's a perfectly reasonable synonym of war and I can't find any evidence that it has any of the connotations claimed. But if you argue for anything less than throwing every last Ukrainian life after every last inch of Ukrainian soil on this thread then you'll be accused of wanting to suck Putin's cock.

The cause of the conflict is that Russia unilaterally decided to invade Ukraine. The leaders of Russia made the decision to send thousands of destructive weapons and tens of thousands of brutalised troops to go into another country, destroying, killing, raping and torturing as it went.

Having been invaded, the leadership of Ukraine decided to fight back and the result is conflict.

What you’re asking is not the cause of the conflict. You’re asking why the leaders of Russia chose to invade another country. It’s not the same question. As I noted earlier, discourse is not neutral. Questions are not neutral. Dialogue is directed and used to a purpose. That purpose comes into focus when somebody looks at the situation in Ukraine and says “why are they fighting?” Why do you think they’re fighting?? Somebody tries to kill you, you respond.

What is irritating and happens frequently, including this recent example, and maomao is quite right on, is that folk are eager to pounce on what they perceive as your motivations. If you’re not singing perfectly from the hymn sheet then you must secretly support Russia really.

What is irritating and happens frequently, including this recent example, and maomao is quite right on, is that folk are eager to pounce on what they perceive as your motivations. If you’re not singing perfectly from the hymn sheet then you must secretly support Russia really.
Motivations are embedded into questions. They always exist, and if you think there isn’t one, that just means you’re blind to your own motivation.

The questions I asked earlier were these

… So let me ask: what is the purpose in asking about Putin’s “true” perception of NATO? What comes next in this series of questions? If we were to conclude that Putin was, in fact, terrified of NATO’s shadow, what does that change? Does it matter how NATO actually acts or what its intentions are, or does it only matter how Putin perceives them?

In short, where is this going?
Those are pretty important framing questions for a discussion about causes of things.

Well then counter that by spelling out your motivation. What is your purpose — what do you want to do with these answers? Why these questions at this time? Why should this be the focus of inquiry?
Fuck me, why not just deal with the substantive content instead of demanding a psychoanalytical shakedown?

Well then counter that by spelling out your motivation. What is your purpose — what do you want to do with these answers? Why these questions at this time? Why should this be the focus of inquiry?
If we're to apply these rules to all questions asked on Urban75 (even just the 'serious' threads) most of the answers are going to be 'cause I was bored/curious/drunk/fancied a chat/fight etc.' It's a very high standard to hold us to and not one that has been evenly applied.

Back
Top Bottom