Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Although many were intercepted, Russian missiles today have been targetting Kyiv, Dnipro, Poltava, Mykolaiv, Zhytomyr, Lviv, Khmelnytskiy, Cherkasy, Chernihiv and Odesa. Homes have been hit as well as critical infrastructure; seven million homes were left without power across Ukraine earlier, and also parts of Moldova.

1668545715942.png

At least one person has died after residential buildings were hit in the Pechersk region of Kyiv.

Ukraine war: At least one person killed as residential buildings hit by airstrikes in capital Kyiv

Btw, the location of the missile strike is close to a thermal power plant, and also cross-border electrical supply, both of which are the types of targets hit in today’s raids. So likely they were firing at something in the area close to the border.

apparently the crater is too big for an S300 air defence missile alone, so current theories are that the ‘two missiles’ that struck might have been air defence and an actual cruise missile.

should not really fuck with grain silos kinda explodly anyways

not great - but its not a major escalation - its accidental. Reckless endangerment (assuming its the Russians) which will have consequences - but nowhere close to Poland (and NATO) joining the fight.
Depends what you mean by "joining the fight". Poland isn't going to declare war on Russia. But there's surely going to be domestic pressure for some form of active air defence over Ukrainian and/or Belarusian territory. It's difficult for a government to say that its people facing getting occasionally blown to bits doesn't meet the threshold for doing anything at all.

I think a lot of us are afraid that it could be many many millions. And there's nothing wrong with asking at what cost when armchair generals are yelling for every inch of Ukraine to be fought for. I'm far far from hopeful for peace though.
its the Ukrainians who are "yelling for every inch of Ukraine to be fought for" - the cost they are prepared to pay for that is their decision - it being their lives and their homes and their land. Are we supposed to stop supporting them because of Putin's threat to commit nuclear genocide?

its the Ukrainians who are "yelling for every inch of Ukraine to be fought for" - the cost they are prepared to pay for that is their decision - it being their lives and their homes and their land. Are we supposed to stop supporting them because of Putin's threat to commit nuclear genocide?
Yep this

Go thump a Russian and leave me alone then you boring cunt. I'd just rather we didn't all die.

So in other words any rogue country that wants more 'lebensraum' can invade and take whatever it wants. :(
I think maomao is worried that we could all die in a nuclear holocaust, and there is something to be said for that to be fair. I'm more than a little concerned myself. Putin et al however are complete scum as they have shown many times over and if there was some way to make them pay for what they have done, to their own people, to the the people of Chechnya, Syria and most lately Ukraine I would not shed a tear.

not great - but its not a major escalation - its accidental. Reckless endangerment (assuming its the Russians) which will have consequences - but nowhere close to Poland (and NATO) joining the fight.
This was the biggest attack on Ukraine’s infrastructure to date, leaving millions without power and water. Targets included electrical grid and pipeline connections to other countries that Ukraine supplies or has supplied with electricity and oil/gas, for example cutting off Moldova and Hungary. It’s an escalation regardless of whatever happened over the Polish border.

I think maomao is worried that we could all die in a nuclear holocaust, and there is something to be said for that to be fair. I'm more than a little concerned myself. Putin et al however are complete scum as they have shown many times over and if there was some way to make them pay for what they have done, to their own people, to the the people of Chechnya, Syria and most lately Ukraine I would not shed a tear.
The problem is that millions of russians will also have to pay the bill, not simply putin and his cabal

There were several reports today of a ten point plan Zelensky urged the G20 lot to adopt. I can't find the actual plan, anyone seen it?

Are you wanting a war with Russia?

Are you wanting a war with Russia?
Seriously? Lol, no. How on earth did you arrive at that conclusion from my post? In terms of 'making them pay' I am talking about them alone. And before you come back with something trite like 'yeah but, but, whaddabout....?' Kissinger, Bush, Blair etc are on the list too. :)

It's always ordinary people that have to pay for their awfulness, i wish it were different.

How many people are you okay with dying in order to keep Donetsk and Lugansk Ukrainian? A million? Ten million?
I think that's a question for the Ukrainians, not us. It is their country after all. As long as they're willing to carry on fighting, we should carry on arming them. (BTW. so pleased that people like you weren't around in 1940. Well, actually there were, but they were in internment camps thankfully!)

I think a lot of us are afraid that it could be many many millions. And there's nothing wrong with asking at what cost when armchair generals are yelling for every inch of Ukraine to be fought for. I'm far far from hopeful for peace though.
I think you'll find it's real generals and actual soldiers who are fighting to liberate Ukraine from Russian imperialism. The people in the armchairs are people like you in safe western countries who think it's acceptable to give away someone else's country so they can feel 'safe'.

I think you'll find it's real generals and actual soldiers who are fighting to liberate Ukraine from Russian imperialism. The people in the armchairs are people like you in safe western countries who think it's acceptable to give away someone else's country so they can feel 'safe'.
Yeah I mean the bit about the camps you saddo.
I think that's a question for the Ukrainians, not us. It is their country after all. As long as they're willing to carry on fighting, we should carry on arming them. (BTW. so pleased that people like you weren't around in 1940. Well, actually there were, but they were in internment camps thankfully!)

Back
Top Bottom