Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Sorry? What has this got to do with the 'next big war' and who the 'American's will be facing next'? get your head out of 2025.
Be better if you'd omitted the first question mark. Reread my post and it ought to become obvious. It is a comment on your insurgents bit, you're banging on about the last war not the current situation.

Be better if you'd omitted the first question mark. Reread my post and it ought to become obvious. It is a comment on your insurgents bit, you're banging on about the last war not the current situation.

Look, I'm not going to buy an out-of-print book with a foreword by paleoconservative crank William S Lind. There's also almost no writing on his writing as far as I can see. Even on sodding reddit, where the mil types will run with pretty much anything. It's probably also worth noting that NCO reform has been a major focus of western militaries precisely because there was a need to build capability to operate independently. That didn't happen in Russia. It probably will happen to an extent organically, just because incompetent leaders have a habit of dying. But 4GW seems to a bit of a just-so story, post-rationalisation of things that are discussed in different ways in wider academic circles. Fill yer boots by all means, but I don't really see anything new here, and have better things to do today.

Look, I'm not going to buy an out-of-print book with a foreword by paleoconservative crank William S Lind. There's also almost no writing on his writing as far as I can see. Even on sodding reddit, where the mil types will run with pretty much anything. It's probably also worth noting that NCO reform has been a major focus of western militaries precisely because there was a need to build capability to operate independently. That didn't happen in Russia. It probably will happen to an extent organically, just because incompetent leaders have a habit of dying. But 4GW seems to a bit of a just-so story, post-rationalisation of things that are discussed in different ways in wider academic circles. Fill yer boots by all means, but I don't really see anything new here, and have better things to do today.
Yeh yeh. I've not mentioned any out of print books so I don't know where you're getting that from.

don't talk such rot. american advantages mainly come from their vastly superior firepower. not their infantry tactics. i've named an author, you clearly haven't spent one moment looking at his works, be that the last hundred yards, phantom soldier, super squad... he writes about eg the german storm troopers of the first world war, the sort of light infantry tactics that the russians used in ww2, the north vietnamese, things the americans have forgotten. i've been banging on about the american pivot some years back to prepare for war with peer- and near-peer opponents, you're still farting on about insurgents like that's who the americans will face in the next big war.

e2a: turning to the land, if you look upthread a bit there's a map showing the ukrainians are engaging in partisan warfare around melitopol. seems to me that partisans are a variation on light infantry, so if the ukrainians can do that there i see no basic reason why the russians couldn't employ light infantry in a similar way against ukrainian forces

TBF its questionable how much the Red Army was responsible for the excellence of some light infantry tactics used by Red Army troops in WW2; surviving a Darwinian process (at somewhere like Stalingrad or Leningrad, or being one of the left behinds and becoming a partisan) and/or experience of fighting the Finns probably did more in that respect. Certainly its hard to detect much institutional memory of it, even by the end of the war when the masses of tank, rocket and artillery were the focus and they threw hundreds of thousands of men at Berlin.

I do think the two biggest problems for the Russians in terms of light infantry / partisan type antics now is where they are trying to do it and against whom. The evacuation of the local population (or at least most of the people who would have at least acquiesced at being part of Russia) has removed most of the people who'd provide cover for the groups and who could promote more recruitment when the Ukrainians inevitably start to oppress them (in dealing with the partisans).

Yeh yeh. I've not mentioned any out of print books so I don't know where you're getting that from.

My apologies; a book which he still self-publishes in its 2001 edition, with a foreword by paleoconservative crank and promoter of cultural marxism conspiracy theory, William S Lind.

My apologies; a book which he still self-publishes in its 2001 edition, with a foreword by paleoconservative crank and promoter of cultural marxism conspiracy theory, William S Lind.
I don't suppose anyone here would agree politically with someone who wants American soldiers to be more lethal. But it seems perverse to me to assert as you appear to be doing that the political views of the foreword author detract from the military material that forms the core of the text.

I don't suppose anyone here would agree politically with someone who wants American soldiers to be more lethal. But it seems perverse to me to assert as you appear to be doing that the political views of the foreword author detract from the military material that forms the core of the text.

The total absence of anything on jstor or google scholar was more decisive tbh. That was just colour.

The total absence of anything on jstor or google scholar was more decisive tbh. That was just colour.
Yeh. Because academics write lots about military manuals. You're using the wrong metric. There's very little on scholar or in jstor about eg Scott Donellan's tactical tracking operations, hurth's book on combat tracking or rex applegate's work on scouting and patrolling but that doesn't speak to any lack of worth.

In any case Cid I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility that the russian army isn't rethinking their war, and preparing to fight it rather differently perhaps along the lines I've suggested, perhaps on other lines. But very sad to say I think this war will yet surprise us in both its length and bloody death toll

In any case Cid I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility that the russian army isn't rethinking their war, and preparing to fight it rather differently perhaps along the lines I've suggested, perhaps on other lines. But very sad to say I think this war will yet surprise us in both its length and bloody death toll

That, at least, we can agree on.

In the GDR near the border they’d watch West German TV and that was decades ago. Is it not possible to have watched Ukrainian tv from the Kherson region?

Well there was a communications blackout (see that sky reporter), although what TV signal types that might apply to I do not know. The other kind of blackout is presumably also a regular occurrence that might get in the way of your viewing.

Does urban value Kherson liberation or not.
You’d need a heart of stone not to be moved by some of the footage. Because the city was taken so quickly people didn’t have the chance to evacuate like in some of the other places, so many unwillingly trapped living under Russian occupation. Reportedly 80-100,000 were left behind in the area when Russia retreated.

I was expecting horrors and traps, things rigged to explode, but apart from destroying all the power and water systems and looting whatever they could Russia seems to have left it mostly intact. I’m expecting cruise missiles to start flying in fairly soon though.

How long until Zelensky pops down there? If he does, I’d suggest staying away from book depositaries. Sure there will be a few sleeper agents left behind for just such an occurrence…

Sky News and EU. Achieve the dream.

Excerpts from a 23 September report from United Nation's Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine:

Witnesses provided us with consistent accounts of ill-treatment and torture, which were carried out during unlawful confinement. Some of the victims reported that after initial detention by Russian forces in Ukraine, they were transferred to the Russian Federation and held for weeks in prisons. Interlocutors described beatings, electric shocks, and forced nudity, as well as other types of violations in such facilities. After being reportedly transferred into detention in the Russian Federation, some victims have disappeared.

Investigating cases related to sexual and gender-based violence present specific challenges. The Commission has found that some Russian Federation soldiers committed such crimes. These acts amounted to different types of violations of rights, including sexual violence, torture, and cruel and inhuman treatment. There are examples of cases where relatives were forced to witness the crimes. In the cases we have investigated, the age of victims of sexual and gendered-based violence ranged from four to 82 years.

The Commission has documented cases in which children have been raped, tortured, and unlawfully confined. Children have also been killed and injured in indiscriminate attacks with explosive weapons. The exposure to repeated explosions, crimes, forced displacement and separation from family members deeply affected their well-being and mental health.

But at least they were temporarily spared from the horrors of Sky News, right?

Apologies for the tweet dump - but a Russian T-62 tank, an actual unmodified one from the mid-60's, one that was almost certainly transferred to a Red Army C-type formation (mobilised age 30+ former conscripts, and obsolete equipment) before Ronald Reagan became President of the US...

Shit. The. Fucking. Bed.

Well there was a communications blackout (see that sky reporter), although what TV signal types that might apply to I do not know. The other kind of blackout is presumably also a regular occurrence that might get in the way of your viewing.

After the Russian invasion, the local Kherson channel still ran but the Russians switched the transmitters to broadcast Russian channels from around May and also introduced a new channel for Kherson that was soft soap proganda espousing the benefits of Russian rule . There were blackouts due to shelling ( allegedly from the Ukrainian army) which apparently affected both TV and internet and internet servers were rerouted although it was possible to circumvent by VPN.

This Guardian article gives a little insight into aspects of life in Kherson under Russian occupation and TV.

Back
Top Bottom