Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Not sure if it was pure luck a fuel train was passing at the time or it was timed for it. Anyway, that sort of heat will have oxidised the steel and left it's structural integrity in a shit state, plus they will need heavy lifting equipment to remove the wreckage which will be a massive logistical challenge.

Might be quicker to let the whole section and train wreckage drop into the sea and rebuild.

Either way, that hugely important rail link will be out for some time and the road bridge has a big chunk missing.

Not sure if it was pure luck a fuel train was passing at the time or it was timed for it. Anyway, that sort of heat will have oxidised the steel and left it's structural integrity in a shit state, plus they will need heavy lifting equipment to remove the wreckage which will be a massive logistical challenge.

Might be quicker to let the whole section and train wreckage drop into the sea and rebuild.

Either way, that hugely important rail link will be out for some time and the road bridge has a big chunk missing.
I don't think there's much luck involved. If anything, the dropping of the road span was probably the lucky bit: it's the rail link that's the Really Big Deal.

But blowing up the bridge while a train carrying fuel was crossing would a lovely way of arranging for Russia to contribute to the destruction of its own bridge :)

Pretty big explosion there. That bridge should be out for sometime which is going to properly screw the Russians

I have my doubts that was a truck bomb - on some of the other clips there is very little debris even close to the site of the blast, and the damage is very localised:

If I had to guess then its either a really small bomb which set either the fuel truck or (more likely) one of the rail cars into a BLEVE (which then caused another BLEVE as the other object blew up), or its happened as a freak accident. I lean towards the latter, mainly because of the extreme difficulty that someone would have to time that so accurately (as in to time it when the truck passed the train above a weak joint in the roadway) - which also to me makes a missile or drone strike unlikely too. Only God is usually that precise.

Might have been even better if they'd done it yesterday on Putin's 70th birthday, though maybe it was timed so he'd get the news when he was waking up with a hangover.

Putin's a bit of a health freak. According to Google he's not a complete teetotaller like that other renowned nutter Trump. But it's very rare, usually just a toast with other leaders for the TV.

You'd almost like to be able to blame the insanity both of them are capable of on being pissed the whole time, but nope. They're just completely nuts.

I have my doubts that was a truck bomb - on some of the other clips there is very little debris even close to the site of the blast, and the damage is very localised:

If I had to guess then its either a really small bomb which set either the fuel truck or (more likely) one of the rail cars into a BLEVE (which then caused another BLEVE as the other object blew up), or its happened as a freak accident. I lean towards the latter, mainly because of the extreme difficulty that someone would have to time that so accurately (as in to time it when the truck passed the train above a weak joint in the roadway) - which also to me makes a missile or drone strike unlikely too. Only God is usually that precise.

I'm wondering whether the damage to the roadway is just a happy "collateral damage" accident, and the main effort was directed at the railway element. Given Russia's parlous truck logistics situation, the railway link was far more important than the road.

And it seems to me that delivering the quantity of explosives necessary to do real harm to the railway bridge would have been a major undertaking, whereas arranging for Russia to "BYOB", and just providing a source of ignition would be a much more logistically straightforward way of going about it. Timing the explosion to catch a fuel wagon might have been tricky, so I imagine that someone (or a drone) would have needed to be in the vicinity to ensure that the button got pressed at the right moment.

But meh, speculation. I don't suppose we'll really know until Ukraine, probably in a couple of months' time, tells us what they actually did. And it's very much in their interests, as it was with that mysterious series of explosions at the Crimean airbase, to leave Russia guessing and paranoid for a good long while.

When I saw the railway bridge burning, though, I was reminded of that freight train that caught fire in the Channel Tunnel - the damage that did to the concrete tunnel lining was extensive, even without explosives, and the whole thing had to be stripped out and rebuilt. I would imagine that, at the very least, that segment of the bridge is going to be "untrustworthy" until some serious work has been done on it. The concrete will be utterly compromised, and I'd have thought that the steelwork is likely not just to have warped in the extreme heat, but be structurally suspect now, too.

Happy belated birthday, Vova! (the best presents are the belated ones...)

Putin's a bit of a health freak. According to Google he's not a complete teetotaller like that other renowned nutter Trump. But it's very rare, usually just a toast with other leaders for the TV.

You'd almost like to be able to blame the insanity both of them are capable of on being pissed the whole time, but nope. They're just completely nuts.

Yep, Trump's older brother was an alcoholic who died at 43, Trump rarely talks about him but when he does, it's one of the rare occasions when he sounds like a human being capable of empathy.

Biden also says he's never had a drink in his life - Putin drinks vodka, beer, and brandy, but only very rarely, I hope he mixed all three last night and is paying a very heavy price.

You'd almost like to be able to blame the insanity both of them are capable of on being pissed the whole time, but nope. They're just completely nuta.
This should be on the tangential crap thread. If you look at your fascist war mongers they tend not to be massive drinkers, Hitler wasn't, don't think mussolini was. Stalin and Churchill by contrast were notorious drinkers

Zelensky & Putin to attend G20 in Bali next month?
Indonesia, which holds the G20 presidency this year, has been under heavy pressure from the West, led by the United States, to exclude Russia following its invasion of Ukraine, but Jakarta has argued it must remain "impartial".

"I have invited President Zelensky to attend the G20 summit," said President Joko Widodo, suggesting a compromise had been reached following pressure from US President Joe Biden and others to allow Ukraine's participation to strike a balance.

Putin confirmed in a phone call with Widodo that he will attend the summit, to take place on Bali island, the Indonesian leader said in a livestreamed address.

This shit writes itself...

Deliberately not in the piss take thread, because behind the levity, it's serious. Russia's ability to maintain its position in Crimea is, if not fucked, then severely compromised.

It's not the beginning of the end, but it's an indication that it's on its it way.

And as Ukraine advances from the north the Ruskies in Crimea will be wanting to flee via that bridge, now they can’t I can imagine a fair few bringing their travel plans forward somewhat…

And as Ukraine advances from the north the Ruskies in Crimea will be wanting to flee via that bridge, now they can’t I can imagine a fair few bringing their travel plans forward somewhat…
Apparently all the holiday makers in Crimea have had their hotel stays extended.

Sharp intake of breath time. How can putin realistically retaliate short of using a nuke? And cant imagine that the US was not involved in this at some level.
Also I wonder if Ukraine has a high level of infiltration within the Russian military and security services.

Back
Top Bottom