Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

It's clear in the videos that one side of the road bridge is still there and it's a two-lane highway so it could function as a one lane highway once the rubble has been swept up. The amount of traffic it can take is obviously much smaller.
It's also obvious by now that H&S is not really a Russian thing but it must be unnerving to drive over the bit next where the other side is missing.

It's clear in the videos that one side of the road bridge is still there and it's a two-lane highway so it could function as a one lane highway once the rubble has been swept up. The amount of traffic it can take is obviously much smaller.
It's also obvious by now that H&S is not really a Russian thing but it must be unnerving to drive over the bit next where the other side is missing.
Based on my extensive research of having watching a few videos posted on the bandwidth thread. Driving for Russians is pretty unnerving most of fhe time

Boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion, apparently.

Big fuck-off bang, to us civvies.
The important thing about BLEVE is that it turns a fire (albeit a very hot one) into an explosion. With pressure waves'n'shit.

Although Twitter speculation seems to be leading towards the idea that whatever the big bang was, it was BELOW the bridge, so anything happening up above (fertiliser-laden truck, BLEVE, burny train shit) was icing on the (birthday) cake.

Bridges can often be repaired surprisingly quickly.

The giant brick viaduct in Brighton got bombed in two places in WW2 but supposedly they had trains running again (over a temporary structure) within 24 hrs.

It would not surprise me if the Crimea bridge is back in use quite rapidly. The deck portion is probably relatively straightforward to rebuild. The more serious damage would be to the piers, especially the below water portions.

If this is an accident then not only does God exist but he's flying a Ukrainian flag over the Pearly Gates. My theory supported by no evidence whatsoever is that it was a bomb stuck to the bottom of one of the tanker wagons in the train.
Wouldn't have to be all that big since the Russians have helpfully supplied most of the explosives themselves.
If it was it was planted inside Russia itself, It would take Hollywood blockbuster level balls of steel to pull it off but the Ukrainians and especially the UA have proven time and time again they have a generous supply of such people.
How's the Nord Stream investigation going?

Twitter reporting "something happening" in Moscow.

Last edited:
One of the lanes didn't seem that badly hit

The video (via liveuamap) I saw of 'first cars crossing' was just two cars, and pretty sure the lead one was police (blues behind grille). Obviously there's a world of difference between carefully allowing passenger vehicles and restoring an active freight route. But as with many things in this, case of wait for more info.

Bridges can often be repaired surprisingly quickly.

The giant brick viaduct in Brighton got bombed in two places in WW2 but supposedly they had trains running again (over a temporary structure) within 24 hrs.

It would not surprise me if the Crimea bridge is back in use quite rapidly. The deck portion is probably relatively straightforward to rebuild. The more serious damage would be to the piers, especially the below water portions.

I think this is true - the Ru army takes railway operations very seriously. They'll certainly have the gear to get that bridge going again, and in short shrift. They probably have the training and maintenance necessary as well, because it's something they practice as part of their normal routine.

Probably.

I think this is true - the Ru army takes railway operations very seriously. They'll certainly have the gear to get that bridge going again, and in short shrift. They probably have the training and maintenance necessary as well, because it's something they practice as part of their normal routine.

Probably.

a capability we used to have back in the day:

The train appeared to be coming from Crimea, so I would assume the fuel cars would be empty, just vapours and residue. I think a fully loaded fuel train would have made a lot more mess.

I do wonder what services might have been running over that bridge, could be telecoms shit/fibre optics etc, HV electrics, maybe even domestic gas. That stuff will be fucked.

Satellite piccie...

20221008_205847.jpg

It's - at least it looks - reparable/bodgable. One of the road spans looks fairly ok, the other one looks like it's fairly small beer to any Army with bridging gear, and the railway (assuming the fundamental strength of the bridge is intact) is something that any railway unit could manage in 24 hours or so - you'd simply cut everything 100m each side of the damage, rip it out, and replace it. I don't imagine the Russians would have problems laying their hands on simple railway materials.

I think the Russian governments approach to Health and Safety, as well as construction and materials standards , is going to be a (short term?) advantage to them - if Vlad is happy sending people off to war with empty jamming pods on his fighters, and lumps of rubber on his tanks masquerading as reactive armour, he's not going to give a shit about the structural integrity of the bridge.

The Ferry that's replacing the bridge has been taken over by the FSB - what they will know about operating a ferry is perhaps a mystery, but it shows what the dynamic is...

Added to the above:

There's a reason that Air Forces attack concrete and steel structures with 1000lb hardened penetration bombs. The two road spans have been dropped and will need to be replaced, but - and caveat, from what it looks like - the railway bridge has just been burnt a bit. It quite possible that while it's made a mess of the railway infrastructure on the bridge, it's had little effect on the actual bridge itself.

Satellite piccie...

View attachment 346360

It's - at least it looks - reparable/bodgable. One of the road spans looks fairly ok, the other one looks like it's fairly small beer to any Army with bridging gear, and the railway (assuming the fundamental strength of the bridge is intact) is something that any railway unit could manage in 24 hours or so - you'd simply cut everything 100m each side of the damage, rip it out, and replace it. I don't imagine the Russians would have problems laying their hands on simple railway materials.

I think the Russian governments approach to Health and Safety, as well as construction and materials standards , is going to be a (short term?) advantage to them - if Vlad is happy sending people off to war with empty jamming pods on his fighters, and lumps of rubber on his tanks masquerading as reactive armour, he's not going to give a shit about the structural integrity of the bridge.

The Ferry that's replacing the bridge has been taken over by the FSB - what they will know about operating a ferry is perhaps a mystery, but it shows what the dynamic is...
I know perspective is everything and a given event can look dramatically different depending on when you were observing it from. But it’s still interesting that in the footage of the explosion, the fireball seemed to be very close to the raised section of the bridge, whereas the burning train looks to be on a level section of the structure.

I guess it’s quite plausible the train was hit by the explosion some distance away and came to a stop where it can be seen in your image…

Strangely there's a third span of the road bridge that's dropped too ... right at the left hand side of the satellite image, and some distance from the presumed explosion.

Added to the above:

There's a reason that Air Forces attack concrete and steel structures with 1000lb hardened penetration bombs. The two road spans have been dropped and will need to be replaced, but - and caveat, from what it looks like - the railway bridge has just been burnt a bit. It quite possible that while it's made a mess of the railway infrastructure on the bridge, it's had little effect on the actual bridge itself.
Are you saying that... train fuel.... doesn't melt... steel beams? :hmm: :D

its a bit of theatre for the benefit of the Russians in Crimea, civilians primarily. This isnt your land, we can cut you off, bomb the airfields, cause disruption with a relatively low casualty level. Its pure propaganda. Best if you fuck off now. Its not safe for you any more.

Exactly this, and to scare the Russian soldiers in Kherson - you’ve got a 300 mile walk home being chased by Ukrainian snipers.

Alex

its a bit of theatre for the benefit of the Russians in Crimea, civilians primarily. This isnt your land, we can cut you off, bomb the airfields, cause disruption with a relatively low casualty level. Its pure propaganda. Best if you fuck off now. Its not safe for you any more.
was the Dugan bombing also theatre but for Russians in Moscow ?

Back
Top Bottom