Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Speaking as a misanthropic nihilist I believe in blowing up bridges rather than building them (do you see what i did there??). Be funny if the world ended due to the arrogance of an over Botoxed cunt with a sense of destiny.

its a bit of theatre for the benefit of the Russians in Crimea, civilians primarily. This isnt your land, we can cut you off, bomb the airfields, cause disruption with a relatively low casualty level. Its pure propaganda. Best if you fuck off now. Its not safe for you any more.

Ukraine even helpfully left the Russian bound carriageway intact for them.

It's quite hard to say you're alone. When you are actually alone. I hope the guys at the front are OK.

Added to the above:

There's a reason that Air Forces attack concrete and steel structures with 1000lb hardened penetration bombs. The two road spans have been dropped and will need to be replaced, but - and caveat, from what it looks like - the railway bridge has just been burnt a bit. It quite possible that while it's made a mess of the railway infrastructure on the bridge, it's had little effect on the actual bridge itself.

Dropping bridges to deny them permanently is very difficult. The Thanh Hoa bridge in Vietnam had 800+ sorties flown against it by USAF/USN (with 11 a/c shot down) and it was still open for business on the last day of the war.

Dropping bridges to deny them permanently is very difficult. The Thanh Hoa bridge in Vietnam had 800+ sorties flown against it by USAF/USN (with 11 a/c shot down) and it was still open for business on the last day of the war.

Was that a lack of precision weapons or just that it was very tough.

Last edited:
It's gone very quiet on news from the front, I'm wondering if that's due to losses round Kherson. Russia seems to have stabilised and pushed back in the last couple days. There's also been some serious bombardment going on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-090642__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20221009-090642__01.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20221009-090624__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20221009-090624__01.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 9
It's gone very quiet on news from the front, I'm wondering if that's due to losses round Kherson. Russia seems to have stabilised and pushed back in the last couple days. There's also been some serious bombardment going on.
Still posts of captured/destroyed vehicles, reports from both sides that Ukraine is consolidating the gains already made in Kherson and weakening the RU rear lines/supply. The main reason it’s gone quiet is that War Twitter & the normal media is too busy arguing over how the bridge was damaged.

Still posts of captured/destroyed vehicles, reports from both sides that Ukraine is consolidating the gains already made in Kherson and weakening the RU rear lines/supply. The main reason it’s gone quiet is that War Twitter & the normal media is too busy arguing over how the bridge was damaged.
It's really shitty if something like the bridge can so distract from what's going on elsewhere

Last edited:
I think this is true - the Ru army takes railway operations very seriously. They'll certainly have the gear to get that bridge going again, and in short shrift. They probably have the training and maintenance necessary as well, because it's something they practice as part of their normal routine.

Probably.
Maybe after this war - if we're all not drinking out of glowing puddles, Railtrack can recruit some ex-Russian sappers to sort out some things over here

Back
Top Bottom