Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

60 cruise missiles at approx 6.5 million dollars each to kill eleven people (though I understand that's not the final toll). That's nearly 400 million dollars and they're supposedly running short of the things anyway.

They use guidance systems - not just a good eye from the operator :D

Yes but the guidance systems are designed to hit aircraft surely? Which are both bigger and slower than missiles?

e2a: That video from today seems to be the first known instance of a MANPADS hitting a cruise missile.

Yes but the guidance systems are designed to hit aircraft surely? Which are both bigger and slower than missiles?

a lot of cruise missiles are not supersonic, and whilst they are smaller in size they may present a better target for an infrared-homing missile (especially from behind) - its not like it will make any evasion attempts, release flares or anything

e2a: That video from today seems to be the first known instance of a MANPADS hitting a cruise missile.

This is a decent thread on air defence and Russia’s missiles:

Reactions: Chz
60 cruise missiles at approx 6.5 million dollars each to kill eleven people (though I understand that's not the final toll). That's nearly 400 million dollars and they're supposedly running short of the things anyway.
I dunno, one blackjack can carry 12, even an ancient Tu95 can carry 6 they've been making them for decades must have a shit load of the things

Those Nazis in Kyiv that have been repressing the Russian language for years in an attempt to eliminate Russian culture and deny Russians in Ukraine the chance to study their native tongue, well them Nazis have a university called Taras Shevchenko State University, this place had a department of Russian language, sneaky fuckers huh? Well, had one, until yesterday:

AAA.jpg

Bombed by the Russians.

Alanis will be along shortly to comment on this.

Plenty implying are they are running short, but as always propagandists are all over both sides in this Explainer: Is Russia Running Low on Missiles? - The Moscow Times
Whether they are running short or not, one fact is indisputable: with sanctions, and Russia's heavy use of Western technology in its missiles, there is little if any question of any replacements for the missiles they fire. And they certainly don't have limitless stocks.

We know they don't have as many as they'd like simply because they've been using long range surface to air missiles to attack land targets in Ukraine.

Since early summer the Russians have been moving S300 SAM batteries from around St Petersburg and the borders of the Baltic States and Poland - as well as wholesale from the Far East Military District - and using them in the surface role. This tells us two things: firstly that only a lunatic would retask air defence weapons as land attack weapons if he doesn't need to, and secondly, no one who genuinely believes they might face NATO airpower is going to move their air defence systems away from their borders with NATO states.

Now, whether that means they are running low on stocks, or whether they consider their air defence systems to be worthless/supremely capable against NATO so may as well be used against something useful, or whether it's 'one last push', or whether they want to retain a sizable stock of their purpose built land attack weapons is a different story - but they aren't pissing away their air defence missiles as a drunken prank.

How much of the Home based S300 system has been upgraded/replaced with the S400 I wonder?, re-purposing some of the S300 stock could actually make sense at this time.
It does look increasingly panic - driven but im not getting upbeat about the picture yet, Im always of the mind that western media even the apparently informed by intelligence source type is feeding us a fair bit of crap

a lot of cruise missiles are not supersonic, and whilst they are smaller in size they may present a better target for an infrared-homing missile (especially from behind) - its not like it will make any evasion attempts, release flares or anything
Won't they also need to fly lower as well when they get close to the target?

We know they don't have as many as they'd like simply because they've been using long range surface to air missiles to attack land targets in Ukraine.

Since early summer the Russians have been moving S300 SAM batteries from around St Petersburg and the borders of the Baltic States and Poland - as well as wholesale from the Far East Military District - and using them in the surface role. This tells us two things: firstly that only a lunatic would retask air defence weapons as land attack weapons if he doesn't need to, and secondly, no one who genuinely believes they might face NATO airpower is going to move their air defence systems away from their borders with NATO states.

Now, whether that means they are running low on stocks, or whether they consider their air defence systems to be worthless/supremely capable against NATO so may as well be used against something useful, or whether it's 'one last push', or whether they want to retain a sizable stock of their purpose built land attack weapons is a different story - but they aren't pissing away their air defence missiles as a drunken prank.
I think it also depends on what running low means. There is running low as in about to run out completely, and there is running low meaning stockpiles are lower than they are comfortably with.

I think it also depends on what running low means. There is running low as in about to run out completely, and there is running low meaning stockpiles are lower than they are comfortably with.

Absolutely - 'running low' is a very subjective opinion, and it might change as circumstances change. 'has run out' is an objective term, but 'running low' could cover a multitude of sins.

I think it's pretty solid that they have used far more more munitions that they thought they would have, and that they have had significantly less effect than they have assumed, and that it has proved to be more difficult to produce replacements in the face of western sanctions than they had banked on.

That said, the comments come from the head of GCHQ, a service that is at the forefront of SIGINT in eastern Europe. It's unlikely that he's basing his words purely on Russians saying 'were a bit low on...'. it's also worth noting that NATO is running a huge weapons intelligence program - it's not something I'm involved in, but we have a pretty good idea of what Russia is using in Ukraine, where and when, and have done since the spring. In some things, they are very much scraping the barrel...

One of the many lessons of modern warfare is that you never have enough in stock. The expenditure of an artillery troop alone is enormous let alone PBI stocks. Cruise missiles I'd guess woud operate on similar lines "oh of course a thousand will be plenty, they cost a few million we'll never need more" but they've been punting them out left and right.

Yes, along with "well they can't justify firing another dozen just to take out a pedestrian bridge, it makes no military sense" when the Russians are more than happy to do so to kill a few more Ukrainians.

One of the many lessons of modern warfare is that you never have enough in stock. The expenditure of an artillery troop alone is enormous let alone PBI stocks. Cruise missiles I'd guess woud operate on similar lines "oh of course a thousand will be plenty, they cost a few million we'll never need more" but they've been punting them out left and right.

Yes, along with "well they can't justify firing another dozen just to take out a pedestrian bridge, it makes no military sense" when the Russians are more than happy to do so to kill a few more Ukrainians.
Permanent Arms Economy in a nutshell

Back
Top Bottom