Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

One of the many lessons of modern warfare is that you never have enough in stock.

The Ukrainians seem to be doing alright...

Ukrainian Battalion Deputy Chief Ruslan Andrikyo, a single Ukrainian battalion came into possession of ten modern T-80 Russian tanks and five 2S5 Giatsint 152 mm self-propelled howitzers after liberating the town of Izyum. The Deputy Chief was quoted by the Wall Street Journal as saying, “We've got so many trophies we don't even know what to do with all of them. We started off as an infantry battalion and now we're becoming a mechanized battalion.”

The Ukrainian spokesperson on TV yesterday was still not confirming that it was their Special Forces who bombed the bridge.Is it conceivable that they don't know who was responsible?

The flurry does potentially make sense as a temporary strategic effort for Russia to regain initiative/morale/slow the Ukrainian advance, even if it's digging deep into existing stockpiles. There's limited time left before winter hits and if that stalls frontline movements for 5-6 months it allows for solidified defences (bearing in mind they've now defined a win condition of "this is ours and we're keeping it" rather than expanding further), more training of currently useless conscripts, time for sorting through logistics, rebuilding stockpiles/finding alternative sources of key tech etc.

The flurry does potentially make sense as a temporary strategic effort for Russia to regain initiative/morale/slow the Ukrainian advance, even if it's digging deep into existing stockpiles. There's limited time left before winter hits and if that stalls frontline movements for 5-6 months it allows for solidified defences (bearing in mind they've now defined a win condition of "this is ours and we're keeping it" rather than expanding further), more training of currently useless conscripts, time for sorting through logistics, rebuilding stockpiles/finding alternative sources of key tech etc.

I'm no army bod, but would have thought the harsh winter conditions will be more of a disadvantage to the Russians than the Ukrainians, the former, although being somewhat dug in to positions are still the attackers on foreign soil and that.

I'm no army bod, but would have thought the harsh winter conditions will be more of a disadvantage to the Russians than the Ukrainians, the former, although being somewhat dug in to positions are still the attackers on foreign soil and that.

And probably not as well equipped and supplied. I'd imagine that they HIMAR and other artillery strikes aren't going to stop over winter, which is going to grind moral down either further.

I'm sure I saw some report somewhere that the Ukrainians have captured so much stuff off the Russians that they now have more kit than they started the war with.

Yes, Ukraine now has more ifvs and tanks than it started with for sure and more other kit from lend lease than they started with.

A lot of the tanks Russian. The kremlin has denied rumours that t-34s are to be removed from museums to be sent to the front

They're probably more valuable to collectors.

this is what the russians are banking on, that the ukrainians would be more interested in capturing the tank than shooting at it

I'm sure I saw some report somewhere that the Ukrainians have captured so much stuff off the Russians that they now have more kit than they started the war with.
Again also not quite that simple. A captured tank might just need a bit of fuel and it is good to go, or it might be nothing more than a few spare parts. What percentage of captured gear can be put back into service is an unknown.

But it does seem to be true that Russia is currently the biggest supplier of weapons to Ukraine.

That is a fucking awesome website who wouldn't want a tank parked in their driveway especially if you were in a passive-aggressive war with your neighbours? You could escalate it into a real one.

On that bridge explosion...

Here's the archived version of that very weird story that really belongs in the speculation thread. It has a lot more detail than I was expecting. I don't understand why he doesn't give a third option of internal anti-RU sabotage.

That is a fucking awesome website who wouldn't want a tank parked in their driveway especially if you were in a passive-aggressive war with your neighbours? You could escalate it into a real one.
or as a parting gift to an old friend if you're moving to a different country, or something y'know... 'tanks for the memories'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom