Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Good news Liz Truss has determined to send another billion pounds worth of armaments to Ukraine over the next twelve months.Even better those in the UK reliant on disability benefits are to get one hundred and fifty quid each!
Yes, because if the UK wasn't sending aid to Ukraine, that money would definitely be going to people on disability benefits instead.

That said the money still wouldn't be going towards killing/disabling workers elsewhere.
I think that's a rather narrow view. I don't think it's a huge stretch to suggest that support for Ukraine is about preventing the killing and disabling of workers elsewhere - look at what is being uncovered in Izyum.

Unless you're coming from some idealistic premise that says that if we don't respond to aggression, the aggression will somehow stop :hmm:

We have so many pressing problems at home I don't for the life of me see why the UK should be in the van as regards this war.I also don't believe that there is anything particularly idealistic in believing as a general principle that defunding the military can save lives.

We have so many pressing problems at home I don't for the life of me see why the UK should be in the van as regards this war.I also don't believe that there is anything particularly idealistic in believing as a general principle that defunding the military can save lives.

We’re sending vans as well as weapons now? Cool.

Oro
We’re sending vans as well as weapons now? Cool.
Probably are - bloke at work recently sold a clapped out land rover that he had purchased from the Most for a very good price to some shyster shipping materiel out to Ukraine

I wonder how many of the people of Ukraine you could persuade, that defunding their military would be a pragmatic, sensible and non idealistic proposition.

The problem is that not supporting Ukraine sends the message that any nuclear or sufficiently large military power can just invade their weaker neighbours and annexe territory whenever they feel like it with zero repercussions.

Sorry, but a world in which that is allowed to occur is not one I want to live in.

Yes, because if the UK wasn't sending aid to Ukraine, that money would definitely be going to people on disability benefits instead.
Exactly. Since when did Tory MPS (or New Labour) care about disabled people in receipt on benefits in the first place! It's depressing but unsurprising to see this kind of reductionist argument doing the rounds, not least because using vulnerable people's ongoing marginalisation to argue an over-simplistic whataboutism is pretty problematic in itself. But mostly because it's such a lazy, dishonest, "either/or" narrative which doesn't reflect how governments choose to prioritise issues, despite what the greedy buggers like to tell us (as with Theresa May's "there's no Magic Money Tree").

I’ve said it before. Spending a billion now to defang Russia as part of a united front, leaving it wary of invading anybody else in Europe in the future, is a lot cheaper than having later to actually go to full-on war. It’s good risk mitigation, in other words. People always resent spending money on risk controls because it appears that the money is spent for no gain — if the control works, the bad thing never actually happens. But if you don’t spend the money, you sure as hell regret later that you missed your chance.

It’s not like they’re handing over a billion quid to Ukraine in cash anyway. This is mostly military kit that’s been bought and paid for years ago, some of it surplus or near the end of its shelf life. It was there in case we needed to use it, now there is reason to. This is the same with most counties donating stuff.

Erdogan reckons he can be the peacemaker

And, yet plenty of other media outlets are reporting Putin has no intention of withdrawing.

KYIV, Ukraine — The Kremlin said Tuesday that there are no prospects for a negotiated end to the war in Ukraine and gave its blessing to efforts to swiftly bring regions already captured under Russia’s complete control. Such a move could set the stage for Moscow to escalate the conflict if Ukrainian forces try to take the regions back.
A close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, former President Dmitry Medvedev, said that folding the separatist Luhansk and Donetsk regions of eastern Ukraine into Russia itself would make their redrawn frontiers “irreversible” and enable Moscow to use “any means” to defend them.

Pressure within Russia and from Moscow-backed leaders in Luhansk and Donetsk for regional votes that would pave their way to becoming fully Russian has increased in the wake of a Ukrainian counteroffensive — bolstered by Western-supplied weaponry — that is wresting back large areas of previously Russian-occupied territory.

I’ve said it before. Spending a billion now to defang Russia as part of a united front, leaving it wary of invading anybody else in Europe in the future, is a lot cheaper than having later to actually go to full-on war. It’s good risk mitigation, in other words. People always resent spending money on risk controls because it appears that the money is spent for no gain — if the control works, the bad thing never actually happens. But if you don’t spend the money, you sure as hell regret later that you missed your chance.

Which is why the covid pandemic response was a fucking shitshow.

Exactly. Since when did Tory MPS (or New Labour) care about disabled people in receipt on benefits in the first place! It's depressing but unsurprising to see this kind of reductionist argument doing the rounds, not least because using vulnerable people's ongoing marginalisation to argue an over-simplistic whataboutism is pretty problematic in itself. But mostly because it's such a lazy, dishonest, "either/or" narrative which doesn't reflect how governments choose to prioritise issues, despite what the greedy buggers like to tell us (as with Theresa May's "there's no Magic Money Tree").
Thought you at least would see the irony of the two announcements on this morning's news a billion quids worth of machines for killing and disabling people a thousand miles away and a token few quid to help those who rely on PIP or DLA here at home.I am not using anyone people close to me stuck in unheated damp homes are petrified contemplating what this winter might bring.

Thought you at least would see the irony of the two announcements on this morning's news a billion quids worth of machines for killing and disabling people a thousand miles away...

What do you suggest we do about Ukraine, just let Russia have their way? Let them then move into Moldova? Followed by picking off the Baltic states? Poland?

Where would you draw the line?

What do you suggest we do about Ukraine, just let Russia have their way? Let them then move into Moldova? Followed by picking off the Baltic states? Poland?

Where would you draw the line?
Tbh if there's one thing we know about the Russian armed forces it's that they're not really in a state to invade anywhere right now and probably won't be for some time to come. The notion that somehow forces which have proved far less potent than expected will successfully invade Moldova, the baltic states and Poland is an utter fantasy

Back
Top Bottom