Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

A number of the remains that have been recovered in Izyum today had rope tied around their necks and wrists. They were executed.

Most of you know what I do for a living and the work I've been doing for the last six months, and latterly where I've been doing it. I'm going to warn you now that when this war is written up, the behaviour of the Russian Army, the FSB, the 'breakaway' authorities and the Russian private organisations that have been operating in Ukraine is going to look a lot like the behaviour of the Wehrmacht on the Russian Front.

It's going to be an almost endless litany of murder, looting, rape, abduction, torture and wanton destruction.

Steel yourselves.
I honestly expected that.

A number of the remains that have been recovered in Izyum today had rope tied around their necks and wrists. They were executed.

Most of you know what I do for a living and the work I've been doing for the last six months, and latterly where I've been doing it. I'm going to warn you now that when this war is written up, the behaviour of the Russian Army, the FSB, the 'breakaway' authorities and the Russian private organisations that have been operating in Ukraine is going to look a lot like the behaviour of the Wehrmacht on the Russian Front.

It's going to be an almost endless litany of murder, looting, rape, abduction, torture and wanton destruction.

Steel yourselves.
An ex colleague of mine has run a number of war crimes investigations for trial at the Hague, She is still keen to get into Ukraine and start digging both metaphorically and physically. I imagine it will depend on how this ends if she gets her wish.

Steel yourselves.
After what was found in places like Bucha, this is kind of what I expected would be discovered - but hoped that I would be proved wrong.

Unroll of a very long thread on why Russia is losing territory and generally fucking up:

Why does anyone post all that to twatter? Weird, do a blog ffs. 🤷‍♂️

Well yeah, blogs aren't so popular these days... Not that there isn't space for some kind of resurgence; that's what companies like Medium and Substack are trying to do, but even then it's probably more of a case of publishing stuff for an existing audience. Like it or not twitter has a lot of actively engaged little communities, and obviously having everything happening on one platform helps communication. It's also pretty easy to post threads (there's just an 'add post' button).

Not that I think this is good as such. It's just how things seem to have spun out over the last decade or so.

I guess because they think it will reach a wider audience, though I could of course be wrong. It does though seem quite painstaking to do it all in tweets; a complete faff tbh.
Why not do a blog the post a link to it? Generally don't get why people don't do that? Because no one clicks on links?

Why not do a blog the post a link to it? Generally don't get why people don't do that? Because no one clicks on links?

I mean one obvious factor is that you actually have to maintain a blog to link to it. And you're going to have to work more on getting your formatting right, thinking through images (and probably image rights come to think of it) etc. Twitter you just... post it up and there it is. And more tweets presumably means more engagement, social media algorithms often seem to favour more active users. And yes, people often don't click through on stuff.

The popularity of thread reader shows that people do click on links and do like reading things normally without acres of random comments in between paragraphs.

The popularity of thread reader suggests people like clicking on tweets and reading the entire thing later not being redirected to mythoughts.blogspot

It's much disliked on urban but I think Quora can be great for this kind of stuff. Yes there are idiots asking stupid questions, but there is also some great content. And no character limit.

The popularity of thread reader suggests people like clicking on tweets and reading the entire thing later not being redirected to mythoughts.blogspot

Yeah... read first few tweets of thread, decide whether it's interesting, thread read if it's too long.

It's much disliked on urban but I think Quora can be great for this kind of stuff. Yes there are idiots asking stupid questions, but there is also some great content. And no character limit.

Hmm... as far as I can tell it's at least 95% total garbage. Which I suppose is probably true of twitter, but at least it's easy to filter. And twitter just has a lot of active and well-informed users that probably don't bother with quora.

I hate twitter incidentally, but it is just the case that a bunch of academics use it for communication in a way that isn't true of other platforms.

Hmm... as far as I can tell it's at least 95% total garbage. Which I suppose is probably true of twitter, but at least it's easy to filter. And twitter just has a lot of active and well-informed users that probably don't bother with quora.

Its probably similar in its as much as who you follow and the algorithms are OK in selecting content. There's a few Russians I find really interesting. But yes a lot of garbage as well.

Reactions: Cid
Back
Top Bottom