Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

, I was struck by the statement's explaination ( made in March ) of why, in their opinion, Russia isn't an imperialist power and is actually anti imperialist.
I recently read an argument that Russia isn't an imperialist country in this
(Not available online)
Penned by Andrew Burgin (left unity) and Kate Hudson ( CND). The spurious basis of the argument cited Lenin's definition of Imperialism or something. I was shocked in all honesty... Horrible apologism

No , wasn't it to cause flooding to stop a Russian advance or something?

Yes they opened some sluices and I think blew a few dykes to flood farmland and make it impossible for the RU to go off road. Worked quite well, apart from the obvious disadvantage of lots of wet Ukrainians.

The RU operation certainly looks more like a Dambusters style operation, big dams, big bombs, lots of damage. I guess you could argue they are trying to achieve the same tactical aims as they are getting their arses kicked but also because fuck you Ukraine.

I find it hard to make an equivalence between the two, I see it as if someone came into my front room and threw a bucket of water over me and then hit me with the bucket, that's out of order right? But if someone comes into my house and the nearest thing to hand is a bucket of water then I will throw that over them and then hit them with the bucket. A lot. Which is fine.

(Not available online)
Penned by Andrew Burgin (left unity) and Kate Hudson ( CND). The spurious basis of the argument cited Lenin's definition of Imperialism or something. I was shocked in all honesty... Horrible apologism

Didn't Paul Mason's argue that the US is a former imperialist power ?

Yes they opened some sluices and I think blew a few dykes to flood farmland and make it impossible for the RU to go off road. Worked quite well, apart from the obvious disadvantage of lots of wet Ukrainians.

The RU operation certainly looks more like a Dambusters style operation, big dams, big bombs, lots of damage. I guess you could argue they are trying to achieve the same tactical aims as they are getting their arses kicked but also because fuck you Ukraine.

I find it hard to make an equivalence between the two, I see it as if someone came into my front room and threw a bucket of water over me and then hit me with the bucket, that's out of order right? But if someone comes into my house and the nearest thing to hand is a bucket of water then I will throw that over them and then hit them with the bucket. A lot. Which is fine.
I've always avoided trying to understand these 'if someone came into my house' type analogies about Ukraine since this one tbh

(Not available online)
It’s one of them things that is pedantically right. It’s colonialism not imperialism.

I've always avoided trying to understand these 'if someone came into my house' type analogies about Ukraine since this one tbh

OK fair enough.

Imagine a genocidal maniac invaded your country with tanks and bombs and stuff and you wanted to slow him down. You would use any means at your disposal to slow him down, including flooding areas with water.

If that same genocidal maniac decided that this was a thoroughly spiffing idea and did it as well, in your country, that is not morally equivalent. As I'm sure you didn't mean to imply but I know some people are.

Hope that's a bit clearer. :)

The yanks/west must be totally enthralled at how their materiel is being tested IRL. Bumper times for the defence industries. It’s not often they get the chance to run proper tests on tech that are actually used in combat with a defined / non insurgent foe & no BLEEDING HEART comeback

The yanks/west must be totally enthralled at how their materiel is being tested IRL. Bumper times for the defence industries. It’s not often they get the chance to run proper tests on tech that are actually used in combat with a defined / non insurgent foe & no BLEEDING HEART comeback
This was a big motivation for the US to push their proxy into war.

What do you mean by no BLEEDING HEART comeback ?

This was a big motivation for the US to push their proxy into war.

Just, you know, because I want to be clear - you're saying that US pushed Ukraine into fighting Russia, a country that was invading it with the aim of erasing it, the idea of it, it's language and culture, with which it had an existing 'limited war', and several hundred years of poor experiences of being under Russian domination - and without such pressure it would not have fought - just so the US could test weapons it had (checks notes) used for several decades and in operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, and in some cases used for so long that it had removed them from service?

500.jpg
FV7e-99XEAE9c6T.jpeg

It’s one of them things that is pedantically right. It’s colonialism not imperialism.
How do you reckon?

Here's one definition
"Colonialism is where one country physically exerts complete control over another country and Imperialism is formal or informal economic and political domination of one country over the other'

The argument made wasn't a pedantic one btw, but let's put that aside for now...

A number of the remains that have been recovered in Izyum today had rope tied around their necks and wrists. They were executed.

Most of you know what I do for a living and the work I've been doing for the last six months, and latterly where I've been doing it. I'm going to warn you now that when this war is written up, the behaviour of the Russian Army, the FSB, the 'breakaway' authorities and the Russian private organisations that have been operating in Ukraine is going to look a lot like the behaviour of the Wehrmacht on the Russian Front.

It's going to be an almost endless litany of murder, looting, rape, abduction, torture and wanton destruction.

Steel yourselves.

Back
Top Bottom