Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

A good round up here from Mark Hertling of the successes and challenges faced by UA now. In that uniquely cerebral and clinical language that US officers use when talking about death and destruction.

I suppose it's all still possible.

As much as the risk of Putin using worse weapons than he has already is very scary, if he really has lost momentum he might've missed his window to have those orders carried out. Those around him will have the choice of doing his bidding and becoming trapped in the creation of a madman for the rest of their lives, persona non grata to the rest of the world, no more sunny holidays, no more shopping, no more theoretical prospect of luxury exile, no more anything but life in Russia carrying out his orders until he dies - or, speeding his death along so they don't become his prisoners, destined to facilitate his fantasies for years to come, knowing they missed their window of opportunity.
First floor window of opportunity.

The blood is in the water now

EDIT: This really doesn't look to be the true meaning of the guy's words but I'm leaving it here as an example of why you shouldn't go off half cocked on current events threads

Last edited:
^^ nightmare scenario imo. It’s still a very sore point for the Georgians re Abkhazia and SO obviously. These places - Abkhazia especially- are still mostly in ruins after the previous seriously violent blood letting of the last century. Oof

The blood is in the water now
If you've got to read about the start of WW3, might as well read it in the leading free English language newspaper in Spain (covering the Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca, Almeria, Axarquia, Mallorca and beyond) 👍

This may sound a daft question, but if and it's a big if Georgia win this Referendum how exactly are they going to start this war?

Are they going send troops and tanks across the border?

This may sound a daft question, but if and it's a big if Georgia win this Referendum how exactly are they going to start this war?

Are they going send troops and tanks across the border?
It would be South Ossetia and Abkhazia, the breakaway regions South of the Caucasus mountains backed by Russia.
(if true)

Sukhumi is about an hour from the Georgian Border in a good day. The Abkhazia military are shite but remember last time, they brought in Chechens to cleanse the place of ethnic Georgians. Grim

I suppose it's all still possible.

As much as the risk of Putin using worse weapons than he has already is very scary, if he really has lost momentum he might've missed his window to have those orders carried out. Those around him will have the choice of doing his bidding and becoming trapped in the creation of a madman for the rest of their lives, persona non grata to the rest of the world, no more sunny holidays, no more shopping, no more theoretical prospect of luxury exile, no more anything but life in Russia carrying out his orders until he dies - or, speeding his death along so they don't become his prisoners, destined to facilitate his fantasies for years to come, knowing they missed their window of opportunity.
I’m very curious to see what level of nihilism/solipsism/rigid ideology the Western security services psychological profiling people view him as having.

Surely if he was going to use a nuke he'd have used it already? He's had 6 months and it's not as if he's shown much restraint

The mastermind Putin, last great defender of the working class in Europe, is luring NATO into his well deigned and impeccably planned trap...

he's the defender of Xian civilization after all and is destined to win against godless "international" bureaucrats.

I’m very curious to see what level of nihilism/solipsism/rigid ideology the Western security services psychological profiling people view him as having.
Yes it's very interesting.

'Putin's People' by Catherine Belton is a great book. I got a lot out of it earlier this year. Substantial, well researched, huge timescale, but accessible journalism rather than dry academia.

Back
Top Bottom