Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Seems like a big misstep if this was the work of Ukrainians - while the world's a better place without Darya Dugina in it, there's not exactly a shortage of ultranationalist shitheads to replace her, and now they've got a young female martyr to galvanize support.

And if the Ukrainians want to keep a clear line between themselves and the monstrous behaviour of their invaders, assassinating civilian journalists, no matter how vile their ideas are, isn't the way to go about it.
Nah. Fuck her and all her ilk.

Podolyak has denied UA responsibility...

A Ukrainian official has dismissed accusations of Ukrainian involvement in the incident.
"Ukraine, of course, has nothing to do with this, because we are not a criminal state, which is the Russian Federation, and even less a terrorist state," said Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Because dark-haired Ukrainian far-right figurehead Olena Semenyaka isn't Russian ultranationalist Dugin's blonde dead daughter Darya

My mistake. A reasonable one given the context of the chat and then the no context posting of the photo. Might have guessed someone was trying to make a Ukraine fascism point somehow from all this.

A shadowy Russian Underground group has claimed it although smart money is a botched FSB hit on Dugin.

Dugin, apparently, was admitted to hospital this evening.

The Ukrainians vigorously deny involvement and I honestly cannot see them expending limited resources on a relatively obscure figure.

Dugin nothing like as influential / important as pearl-clutching Atlantic Council types think IMO. It’s like claiming Paul Golding is an influential figure in the British government.

A shadowy Russian Underground group has claimed it although smart money is a botched FSB hit on Dugin.

Dugin, apparently, was admitted to hospital this evening.

The Ukrainians vigorously deny involvement and I honestly cannot see them expending limited resources on a relatively obscure figure.

Dugin nothing like as influential / important as pearl-clutching Atlantic Council types think IMO. It’s like claiming Paul Golding is an influential figure in the British government.
Killing the wrong person certainly makes it look like the work of the Russian state.

He's a bit like Jordan Peterson or one of the Spiked founders imo.

like some academics, Duma deputies and even Putin's advisers like the stuff he says, had some honorary academic posts some years ago and was a low level adviser briefly, so he definitely has elite connections. But he has no real influence in the regime itself. And he didn't invent Russian ultra-nationalism at all, lol.

His real value is fostering connections between the Russian state and international far right, and weirdly he seems popular in Turkey.

Russia has a lot of far right 'eccentrics' like Zhirinovsky that are kind of liked and their views seen as part of their 'colourful personality' rather than actually agreed with. Dugin is one of them. In fact Putin was laughing at Dugin and using his example to discredit extreme nationalism some years back.

Dugins daughter seems to have appeared on pro government talk shows semi regularly and known the likes of Simonyan etc.

I met someone while attending a liberal synagogue in Moscow who would always post Dugins stuff :eek:

So Russian casualties are approaching 50 k according to Kiev. If true, that’s an appalling number of dead squaddies in 6 months. Obvs + non combatants on both sides. Approaching the USA in Vietnam numbers but that was over years, or 3x the soviet total for the decade in Afghanistan . Hard to get this tech efficient slaughter into perspective when the figures are so high.

So Russian casualties are approaching 50 k according to Kiev. If true, that’s an appalling number of dead squaddies in 6 months. Obvs + non combatants on both sides. Approaching the USA in Vietnam numbers but that was over years, or 3x the soviet total for the decade in Afghanistan . Hard to get this tech efficient slaughter into perspective when the figures are so high.
According to the Ukrainians. Have the Ukrainians released the numbers of their dead and wounded? My point is it’s obvious propaganda.

Reactions: tim
Does "casualties" include wounded, too? Or are they on top?

I realise that, between Russia's tendency to lie by default, and Ukraine's adept use of propaganda, the truth probably lies somewhere between the two extremes, and it's probably even more complicated when you factor in wounded, taken prisoner, etc.

According to the Ukrainians. Have the Ukrainians released the numbers of their dead and wounded? My point is it’s obvious propaganda.

10000 or so soldiers according to figures.

Many many more civilians killed, wounded or missing (kidnapped) and refugees.

Looks like the Antonivsky Bridge at Kherson has been bonked.

Leaves a lot of RU on the wrong side of a very big river I believe? With no more working bridges.

There are three key objectives Ukraine has to meet in order to encircle Russian troops and force them to surrender in Kherson.

Ukraine would have to impose firm control over the M14/P47 highway that runs east of Kherson and connects the city with Nova Kakhovka, one of Russia’s key bases in Ukraine’s southern Kherson Oblast and the site of recent attacks on Russian ammunition depots carried out with the help of newly delivered Western weapons.

It would also need to destroy two bridges across the Dnipro River, the Antonivsky Bridges, one for vehicle traffic and the other for railway, close to the town of Antonivka on the outskirts of Kherson. The two bridges currently allow Russia to reinforce its garrison in Kherson from occupied territory across the river.

Ukraine would also have to cut off the Kakhovska Hydroelectric Power Plant in Nova Kakhovka some 55 kilometers east of Kherson. The dam also serves as a bridge, along which the M14/P47 highway runs.

If the highway is cut off by Ukraine, Russian forces would have no way of getting across the Dnipro. With the two Antonivksy bridges destroyed, the only other way to make it across the Dnipro’s right bank is in Ukrainian-controlled Zaporizhzhia over 200 kilometers away from Kherson.

So they've done the road bridge now by the looks of it and they certainly damaged a bridge over a dam last week, I think it may have been the one mentioned here. Exit's are closing...

Looks like the Antonivsky Bridge at Kherson has been bonked.

Leaves a lot of RU on the wrong side of a very big river I believe? With no more working bridges.

According to local sources a convoy of ammunition trucks was crossing the bridge at the time of the attack. A little more explosive power is useful (and might explain the report of ten strikes, the bangs might have just been secondary explosions)

Back
Top Bottom