Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

One of the fundamentals of deception operations - and forgive me if I get too technical here - is that the enemy should not (ideally) be able to tell that, and in what way, you are engaged in deception operations because your inflatable missile launcher is flapping about on TV like an out-of-control bouncy castle...
Could be a double bluff though :eek: next time Ukrainians see proper missiles they'll go "hahahaha you don't fool us they're plastic".

Could be a double bluff though :eek: next time Ukrainians see proper missiles they'll go "hahahaha you don't fool us they're plastic".

Reminds me of the fondness that the British military had for colour-based codenames for equipment in during the Cold War - Red King Blue Streak, Green Cheese etc. When it turned out that the radar for the fighter version of the Tornado wasn't ready they just put a block of cement in the nose to ensure the plane was still airworthy and called it "Blue Circle".

Reminds me of the fondness that the British military had for colour-based codenames for equipment in during the Cold War - Red King Blue Streak, Green Cheese etc. When it turned out that the radar for the fighter version of the Tornado wasn't ready they just put a block of cement in the nose to ensure the plane was still airworthy and called it "Blue Circle".

The Blue Circle ballast was on Buccaneer. Tornado F2 used steel ballasts (in the OCU).

Reminds me of the fondness that the British military had for colour-based codenames for equipment in during the Cold War - Red King Blue Streak, Green Cheese etc.

Fun police/boring prig alert, but there was actually a proper project for these:

I got the spiel about Minera decoy in full view of it from my history classroom. Esclusham also held a decoy airstrip standing in for Borras.

Russian "political scientist" on state television furious that people are walking around peacefully in Kyiv instead of hiding in their basements; he can't remember when there was last an airstrike on that "Nazi" "terrorist regime".

I understand why the Ukrainians aren't but of me thinks it's shame a cruise missile couldn't find it way to the Kremlin.

• Zelenskiy has warned those with Russian citizenship against being complicit and silent in supporting Putin’s war on Ukraine. “People’s silence approaches the level of complicity. And the rejection of the real fight against evil becomes the assistance to it. Therefore, if you have Russian citizenship and you are silent, it means that you are not fighting, it means that you are supporting it,” he said in his latest national address.

"Who needs you guys anyway? I have different friends! Cooler friends! Kim's actually a really good guy when you get to know him, all that stuff about him torturing frogs was totally made up, he says it was just a science experiment that you losers are too dumb to understand."

Yes, and actually the Iraqis are still paying for it now with truly horrendous birth defects most likely from the Americans using depleted uranium shells.
You say that but the many billions of bullets with mercury in will have had an effect too, it's horrendous Birth Defects and the Toxic Legacy of War in Iraq - MERIP not to mention whatever was in the buildings in falluja, mosul, Baghdad, tikrit etc that went up when buildings were destroyed. In Ukraine there'll have been all manner of things in the damaged and destroyed buildings that shouldn't have been disturbed eg asbestos. So many people in New York have died from the toxic dust of 9/11, more I think than died in the wtc now. The war in Ukraine will have a legacy for many years if not generations

Interesting on-the-ground reporting from CNN about the nature of the stalemate right now. It looks at whether there is any sign of Ukraine’s push while Russia are stalled and comes to the conclusion: not really. To the reporter’s surprise, what he mainly finds is vast areas seemingly untouched and unbothered by the war, with only a fraction of Ukrainians being committed to any fighting. He makes the reasonable point that taking this approach, while understandable, does stretch out the conflict:

Ukraine's army won't give up an inch without a fight, but while its volunteer army has impressed the world and surprised the invading forces with their determination and resilience, reclaiming lost territory would cost less blood with a more integrated and professional force.

Piece of good news from the weekend.

A few days ago a Russian journalist posted footage of a ceremony where Wagner cunts were given medals by big chief Nazi Wagner cunt. This was at a Wagner HQ in recently occupied Popasna, easily identified from the footage including the building address on a sign in the background. Bit of a fuck-up, and in due course Mr HIMARS came to pay a visit reducing the building to rubble. Lots of dead cunts, including possibly the chief himself (though I suspect this is mostly wishful thinking).

They‘ve made a bit of a habit of these OpSec failures, a while back the Russian media had footage showing off a particularly large and rare self-propelled mortar vehicle which unfortunately had an easily identifiable building as a backdrop. A precision munition from the Ukrainian side swiftly reduced it to a state where it could be weighed in for a few quid. Here’s hoping they continue fucking it up like this.

The British military is training 10,000 Ukrainian soldiers in marksmanship, battlefield first aid and urban warfare. British trainers aim is to turn raw recruits into battle-ready soldiers in a matter of weeks. The first batch arrived last month and have already been sent back to replenish depleted Ukrainian units. Canada, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Nordic nations have also sent trainers.
Guardian.
A few weeks training and off to the frontline.

The British military is training 10,000 Ukrainian soldiers in marksmanship, battlefield first aid and urban warfare. British trainers aim is to turn raw recruits into battle-ready soldiers in a matter of weeks. The first batch arrived last month and have already been sent back to replenish depleted Ukrainian units. Canada, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Nordic nations have also sent trainers.
Guardian.
it's never going to end well

Guardian.

It’s like a week in Russia, I understand offered to pensioners and criminals for sentence reductions.

Back
Top Bottom