Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The reports of Russian shelling of the nuclear plant do not seem to make sense.
The Russians are in control of the plant and surrounding areas. They have moved troops and equipment there.
Then shelled the plant? Really?

They're apparently using it as an ersatz military base because the Ukrainians won't want to shoot rockets at it.

Last edited:
the russians have presented the ukrainians with a perfect opportunity where no russian denials even where truthful will receive the same credence as any ukrainian claims, no matter how baseless they may be
Yes. Another masterclass in military strategy from the Russians.

There were lots of reports about Russia running out of vehicles, reliant on Masda Bongos to get equipment and troops to the front etc.
Also the various Putin's at death's door, will be bumped off etc stuff.

Can all probably be filed under propergander, exageration or over interpretation. The normal stuff of 21C war information.

But as to the who's blowing up what or killing who, there's perhaps a bit more certainty, given cui bono and precedence.

the russians have presented the ukrainians with a perfect opportunity where no russian denials even where truthful will receive the same credence as any ukrainian claims, no matter how baseless they may be

We're always dealing with uncertainty here... But the idea that Ukraine used a high value precision weapon which involves US oversight to attack a well known prison site is a real stretch. Even if you discount discussion of pictures, not allowing ICRC access (in itself a war crime) etc.

Attacks on the nuclear plant are more open to speculation, think that's fair. But false flags are absolutely part of Russia's playbook. That plant needs a no fire zone around it, and IAEA access now... And I'm going to hazard a guess it's not Ukraine holding that up.

We're always dealing with uncertainty here... But the idea that Ukraine used a high value precision weapon which involves US oversight to attack a well known prison site is a real stretch. Even if you discount discussion of pictures, not allowing ICRC access (in itself a war crime) etc.

Attacks on the nuclear plant are more open to speculation, think that's fair. But false flags are absolutely part of Russia's playbook. That plant needs a no fire zone around it, and IAEA access now... And I'm going to hazard a guess it's not Ukraine holding that up.
Yes. I thought I'd made it clear that I meant by the killing of the prisoners the Russians had given the Ukrainians a perfect opportunity to say what they would with scant chance of being disbelieved

The nuclear power plant stuff is a total nightmare to unpick, just like it was earlier in the war. Because its being used as propaganda, but if I become too dismissive of it as a result, I could miss a very real disaster unfolding or at least becoming plausible. Earlier in the war it tended to be the Ukrainian side that used the spectre of a variety of nuclear risks as part of their campaign to get the world to pay attention and get involved more actively. There seem to be more counter-claims from the Russians this time so the picture is even murkier.

The BBC are providing plenty of coverage on this, but so far when it comes to the very latest accusations, they are stuck in 'the BBC has not been able to verify the claims from either side.' mode.

Certainly international organisations are making more comments this time. Comments from the head of the UN are featuring on the BBC live updates page today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/62462223

It was also very surreal reading the comments from the IAEA about this the other day. Language was used along the lines of "the nuclear plant is totally out of control" which is the absolute opposite of the sort of language we'd expect from the IAEA at all times. An incredibly poor choice of words that runs totally counter to their normal agenda and modus operandi, conjuring up images of the reactors themselves being out of control, which is not an image the IAEA is usually keen to promote even on the extremely rare occasions when nuclear power stations are in that sort of state or teetering towards meltdown. The press were happy to report that quote without asking simple questions such as what that comment actually meant.

Last edited:
The nuclear power plant stuff is a total nightmare to unpick, just like it was earlier in the war. Because its being used as propaganda, but if I become too dismissive of it as a result, I could miss a very real disaster unfolding or at least becoming plausible. Earlier in the war it tended to be the Ukrainian side that used a variety of nuclear risks as part of their campaign to get the world to pay attention and get involved more actively. There seem to be more counter-claims from the Russians this time so the picture is even murkier.

The BBC are providing plenty of coverage on this, but so far when it comes to the very latest accusations, they are stuck in 'the BBC has not been able to verify the claims from either side.' mode.

Certainly international organisations are making more comments this time. Comments from the head of the UN are featuring on the BBC live updates page today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/62462223

It was also very surreal reading the comments from the IAEA about this the other day. Language was used along the lines of "the nuclear plant is totally out of control" which is the absolute opposite of the sort of language we'd expect from the IAEA at all times. An incredibly poor choice of words that runs totally counter to their normal agenda and modus operandi, conjuring up images of the reactors themselves being out of control, which is not an image the IAEA is usually keen to promote even on the extremely rare occasions when nuclear power stations are in that sort of state or teetering towards meltdown. The press were happy to report that quote without asking simple questions such as what that comment actually meant.

I think the phrasing is partly because of selective quoting, this was the full statement from director. It is somewhat alarmist... just, er... perhaps not unduly so.

I'm just reviewing a bit more of the nuclear power station reporting.

Nuclear experts continue to add little of value to our understanding. They cant offer much beyond the usual no shit Sherlock stuff such as the ramifications of leaks and the consequences of missiles hitting reactor buildings. Further detail on the risks involves 'loss of colant' stuff if certain plant infrastructre was hit that affected the ability to provide cooling water to the reactors or other hot fuel on site. Standard nulcear reassurances are also in play, in the form of bigging up how strong the containment around reactors is.

In terms of the latest accusations, Russian ones arent reported with much detail, but seem to be centred on the idea that Ukraine is shelling the plant and that international pressure should be applied to get them to stop. On the Ukraine side their nuclear agency has now claimed that the head of Russia's radiation, chemical and biological defence forces has said "there will be either Russian land or a scorched desert". And that the same Russian bloke also said "We have mined all the important facilities of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant,".

I am very far away from being to take those claims at face value. There were some huge lies earlier in the war in this regard, but as I said earlier, I cannot completely dismiss all this stuff either, and even if particular claims are bullshit they may just mask an equally dangerous situation or risk of escalation.

I think the phrasing is partly because of selective quoting, this was the full statement from director. It is somewhat alarmist... just, er... perhaps not unduly so.
Thanks for the link. I note that it mentions them receiving reports of the shelling, without going into any detail about it at all.

The out of control line that the press used for headlines came from this sort of interview, the language in the document is more carefully chosen when it comes to that theme:

I'm very pissed off with both sides about this, gross irresponsibility on both sides. Given the stakes, this is an area of the war where they need to do a deal like they did with grain supplies. But there are no public signs that there is any appetite for that, although we arent privy to what degrees of international pressure may be being applied by allies behind the scenes.

The reports of Russian shelling of the nuclear plant do not seem to make sense.
The Russians are in control of the plant and surrounding areas. They have moved troops and equipment there.
Then shelled the plant? Really?
This is how Reuters reported the shelling on Friday:

I'm forced to keep an open mind about which side was responsible. The default framing by some media of it being a Russian attack is expected and simply reflects what the Ukrainian nuclear agency have claimed, but does not shine any genuine light on which side was actually responsible.

Both sides have denied the IAEA access apparently elbows
This was the Ukr statement

Ukraine slams planned IAEA mission to Russian-occupied nuclear plan​

June 7 (Reuters) - Ukraine's state nuclear company Energoatom on Tuesday criticised an IAEA plan to send a delegation to a Russian-occupied nuclear plant in southern Ukraine, saying it "did not invite" such a visit.
"We consider this message from the head of the IAEA as another attempt to get to the (power plant) by any means in order to legitimise the presence of occupiers there and essentially condone all their actions,"

It seems IAEA and Ukrainian nuclear authority have a very bad relationship.

Last edited:
Both sides have denied the IAEA access apparently elbows
This was the Ukr statement

Ukraine slams planned IAEA mission to Russian-occupied nuclear plan​

June 7 (Reuters) - Ukraine's state nuclear company Energoatom on Tuesday criticised an IAEA plan to send a delegation to a Russian-occupied nuclear plant in southern Ukraine, saying it "did not invite" such a visit.
"We consider this message from the head of the IAEA as another attempt to get to the (power plant) by any means in order to legitimise the presence of occupiers there and essentially condone all their actions,"

It seems IAEA and Ukrainian nuclear authority have a very bad relationship.

They've changed their position since then. Currently seems they want a DMZ with UN and IAEA monitoring.

Also Bloomberg just now reporting Russian authorities inviting IAEA to visit. Can't find any more on this though.

Yeah the current Ukrainian demands sound like a non-starter in their current form because it involves giving them back control of the plant. Putting peacekeepers into Ukraine is probably a headache for the international community too, demands for such things didnt go anywhere in the past.

"The decision that we demand from the world community and all our partners ... is to withdraw the invaders from the territory of the station and create a demilitarised zone on the territory of the station," Kotin said on television.

"The presence of peacekeepers in this zone and the transfer of control of it to them, and then also control of the station to the Ukrainian side would resolve this problem."

Also complicated by this war aim, which may well be why we're hearing more about the nuclear plant and military action in the area again these days:

Ukraine has said it is planning to conduct a major counter-offensive in the Russian-occupied south, apparently focused on the city of Kherson, west of Zaporizhzhia, and that it has already retaken dozens of villages.

Let's hope the Ukr govt allow them to conduct “activities within the framework of the implementation of safeguards, as well as monitoring the state of nuclear safety and security,” without insisting on a DMZ with UN monitoring as it's probably off the cards by a long way.

I suspect a major deal would need to be negotiated behind the scenes in order for Ukraines "any IAEA visit would legitimise Russias presence" stance to shift.

Back
Top Bottom