Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Blimey. You don’t think it more likely the notoriety and politics of the brigade attracted recruits?

I doubt any far right types joined the Bob Crow brigade fighting Islamic State for example.
Well that's possible. But you don't really know any more than I do. If it were a big thing there would be more evidence right now, rather than in the past. In the Ukraine, not in some Russian propaganda.

At best they lay down with dogs and got fleas. At worst they joined because that brigade was an attraction because of its politics.
Or they're simply bystanders/locals/soldiers who don't have any affiliation with their politics at all, but were unfortunate enough to end up in a prison with them before being brutally tortured and murdered.

Really sad to see you enthusiastically supporting war crimes.

Well that's possible. But you don't really know any more than I do. If it were a big thing there would be more evidence right now, rather than in the past. In the Ukraine, not in some Russian propaganda.
You assume they are good guys despite all the glaring evidence. You do this I suspect as to accept reality rather undermines the simplistic positions you and a few others have adopted.

Call me a soft hearted liberal but even if they were all fascists and far right I would not be in favour or pleased about their (likely torture and) execution by the Russian State in the current circumstances.
I would not call you a liberal for finally being honest over this. Other terms come to mind.

Plenty of people with far right and racist politics joined the YPG. Life and politics are complicated and messy, especially in war.
Yeah and they fought with US supplied weapons. Was not a lot of reflection going on there.

You assume they are good guys despite all the glaring evidence. You do this I suspect as to accept reality rather undermines the simplistic positions you and a few others have adopted.

The only person here with a simplistic position seems to be you tbh. Pretty much everyone else has acknowledged that the history and make-up of the Azov unit is mixed and complicated, and has resulted in a unit that has far right roots and history, but from recent reports (INCLUDING BY UKRAINIAN COMRADES) it is not made up by a majority of far right members.

The only person here with a simplistic position seems to be you tbh. Pretty much everyone else has acknowledged that the history and make-up of the Azov unit is mixed and complicated, and has resulted in a unit that has far right roots and history, but from recent reports (INCLUDING BY UKRAINIAN COMRADES) it is not made up by a majority of far right members.
Nazi.

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
I don’t accept the new characterisation. I think it’s a lie.

• Wow
Reactions: LDC
Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't get round to it and was repeatedly shocked at what you keep coming out with so kept responding. More fool me tbh.

Nice accusation of all the Ukrainian lefties as being liars now. Lovely. :thumbs:
Ukrainian lefties? You said your Ukrainian comrades had said Azov was ok now. I don’t assume your comrades are of the left.

Yeah, I didn't get round to it and was repeatedly shocked at what you keep coming out with so kept responding. More fool me tbh. Will do it now though as I can feel the life draining out of me reading your posts. Suggest you ignore me as well, everyone will be better off.

Nice accusation of all the Ukrainian lefties as being liars now. Lovely. Here another liar obviously Too Much Ado About Ukrainian Nationalists: the Azov Movement and the War in Ukraine, by Ivan Gomza :thumbs:
Interesting article, that

Instead of growing into uncontrollable rightist juggernaut, something different happened: the Azov movement stagnated.

First, it failed as a political party. Its party, the National Corps, did not participate as an independent party in the parliamentary elections of 2019. They tried their luck in the local elections of 2020 with dismal results. Out of 43,122 seats contested for in local councils, the party secured only 18!

In Lviv oblast, the presumed stronghold of Ukrainian nationalism, they managed 2 seats (out of 2,332) in a village council and no seats in regional or city councils. The National Corps failed to secure any seat in Mariupol, the city that brought the Azov movement to fame.

This is worth a read too Statement on the War in Ukraine by Scholars of Genocide, Nazism and World War II

Yeah, I didn't get round to it and was repeatedly shocked at what you keep coming out with so kept responding. More fool me tbh. Will do it now though as I can feel the life draining out of me reading your posts. Suggest you ignore me as well, everyone will be better off.

Nice accusation of all the Ukrainian lefties as being liars now. Lovely. Here another liar obviously Too Much Ado About Ukrainian Nationalists: the Azov Movement and the War in Ukraine, by Ivan Gomza :thumbs:
I read that article. Not written by a lefty but useful in that it details the disgusting nazi history of the Azov brigade. Can’t see how the article supports your Azov have changed narrative.

Plenty of people with far right and racist politics joined the YPG. Life and politics are complicated and messy, especially in war.

I assumed the general stance on urban was violence is abhorrent and while sometimes war can be necessary to resist oppression. brutality shouldn’t be applauded and murder frowned upon.

Instead we have to do a Left/Right Purity check lest we lose any respect for saying “that’s a bit grim” about the wrong murder.

I read the latter. A statement with signatory’s. Why do you think it useful? A handy authoritative summary in your view?

What do you think they mean when they write of Ukrainians dark history?
It would be nice if you answered my questions first before trying to divert the debate with more scattergun comments. Several times you've completely ignored valid points that have been raised , probably because you haven't got anything to excuse your really uncomfortable backing of war crimes, torture and murder,

It would be nice if you answered my questions first before trying to divert the debate with more scattergun comments. Several times you've completely ignored valid points that have been raised , probably because you haven't got anything to excuse your really uncomfortable backing of war crimes, torture and murder,
More winbaggery. Back on ignore is best for you.

Interesting the terms used to attack her position.

Sabina Higgins, the wife of Ireland’s president, Michael D Higgins, has triggered a political row in Ireland by urging Russia and Ukraine to call a ceasefire and enter negotiations. Critics said the intervention amounted to Kremlin propaganda because it appeared to equate Moscow’s aggression with Kyiv’s fight for survival.

Thing is they are not just a battalion it's part of a white supremacist movement with links to other like minded groups.
The movement publish books. Here's some of them, some Azov merch with the Ukrainian print of the Christchurch bombers manifesto.
1659438426025.png
And for balance article relates to fascism in both countries.
When you look at what happened in Afghanistan and how extremists filled the void it's bizarre to turn a blind eye on Ukraine AND Russian Fascism

Back
Top Bottom