Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Further and more accurate.
It's also faster to set up and pack up and move. Which makes it more likely to win an artillery battle. When you fire it, the enemy detects where the missiles are coming from, and fires back. The faster system wins, because by the time the enemy missiles arrive, it's been packed up and driven elsewhere.

It's also faster to set up and pack up and move. Which makes it more likely to win an artillery battle. When you fire it, the enemy detects where the missiles are coming from, and fires back. The faster system wins, because by the time the enemy missiles arrive, it's been packed up and driven elsewhere.
Although, since the missiles are also guided in flight, that makes it a non-trivial task for Russian tracking to trace it exactly back to source - artillery shells follow a ballistic course which is traceable, a missile which can change course, even slightly, mid-flight is a great deal less traceable.

HIMARS is the vehicle, GMLRS M30/M31 is the munition - the US is giving HIMARS which is a 19t, 6 tube launcher, the UK is giving M270, which is a 30t, 12 tube launcher.

A bit like 7.62mm small arms ammunition - it's fired by marksman rifles as well as by General Purpose Machine Guns - it's not the gun, it's the bullet.

David Clapson Biden is facing no opposition on the Ukraine aid, it sails through - and Ukraine pays for very little of it. It's free and gratis...

HIMARS is the vehicle, GMLRS M30/M31 is the munition - the US is giving HIMARS which is a 19t, 6 tube launcher, the UK is giving M270, which is a 30t, 12 tube launcher.

A bit like 7.62mm small arms ammunition - it's fired by marksman rifles as well as by General Purpose Machine Guns - it's not the gun, it's the bullet.

David Clapson Biden is facing no opposition on the Ukraine aid, it sails through - and Ukraine pays for very little of it. It's free and gratis...
Does the US not have a warehouse full of HIMARS they could just ship to the Ukraine now? Otherwise the Russian tactics of shelling the places, sending in the Wagner group and then mopping up wth regular troops is going to succeed right? They need these longer range more accurate systems now it seems. If the US delays it’s just going to create a longer and more destructive war for no reason surely?

Does the US not have a warehouse full of HIMARS they could just ship to the Ukraine now? Otherwise the Russian tactics of shelling the places, sending in the Wagner group and then mopping up wth regular troops is going to succeed right? They need these longer range more accurate systems now it seems. If the US delays it’s just going to create a longer and more destructive war for no reason surely?
I think the benefit it's doing to the American arms industry is hardly no reason

We've all lost already for every day that passes without climate action due to the war - or with negative action like more coal being burnt - drives us closer to a collective beachy head
Yep. I used to have a speculative sci-fi book imagining what the future might hold (this was in the 70’s when i was in single figures). In it there was a bit on the climate on two pages facing each other. On one side was a utopian vision with clear skies and people in white robes hanging out playing the lute (i made the last bit up). Nice really. The other page had a rainy city scene. Black clouds, gas masks, etc. Blade Runner before Blade Runner and I thought as a naive child that obviously the adults in charge would choose the path to the nice version right? Wrong.

The only consolation I take is it’ll hit everyone. The super rich can’t run away from this consequence and as a vindictive bastard I take some comfort from that (and I don’t have any kids).

See here:

The big winner's China, as us munitions now much depleted leading to a small window in which American forces less capable due to artillery rockets and shells and anti-tank missiles being given to Ukraine - Taiwan must be worried

See here:

I just assumed the world‘s largest military had huge warehouses full of this stuff and supply chains ready to supply more ammo in short order. I mean I’m no expert but the solution seems pretty clear. Give the Ukrainians loads of superior ranged weapons and let them win with full NATO support in every way but actual war fighting.

Re the Russian occupation of Zhaporizhzhia nuclear power plant base, thought this might be worth posting.
Short twitter thread; this woman's a chemist and retired nuclear researcher. She says this report from Kyiv Post "seems reliable and consistent with Russian actions":

Ukrainian Nuclear Power Plant Official Abducted by Russian Occupiers - KyivPost - Ukraine's Global Voice

The head of the environmental protection service of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Ihor Khavshnin, has been abducted by Russian soldiers in south-eastern Ukraine, according to officials of the Ukrainian nuclear power plant company, Energoatom.

When Khavshnin was abducted, he had the responsibility of overlooking the safety of the NPP environment, which included preventing contamination as well as the prevention of radioactive pollution in and around the nuclear power plant base.

“They took him to an unknown destination,” Energoatom posted via its official account on the messaging platform Telegram. “It is still impossible to locate Kvashnin.

“The invaders destabilize the situation at the occupied power plant and resort to new methods of terror. They have started to abduct the personnel from the top management positions at Zaporizhzhia a NPP.”

We've all lost already for every day that passes without climate action due to the war - or with negative action like more coal being burnt - drives us closer to a collective beachy head

Don’t be so negative. As pointed out up thread the megatons of atmospheric ash from all the burning cities following a nuclear exchange will act as a short term balance for global warming….

Don’t be so negative. As pointed out up thread the megatons of atmospheric ash from all the burning cities following a nuclear exchange will act as a short term balance for global warming….

That reminds me, I watched 'Threads' again the other day, highly recommend it - assuming you can face a brutal and depressing hour and a half. I'd forgotten the start which is a lengthy build-up of tension between the US/NATO and USSR around USSR military involvement in and around Iran.

Does anyone with knowledge of the region think there's much weight to the recent stories about Chechens taking the opportunity to open up a second front against Kadyrov and Russia?

I just assumed the world‘s largest military had huge warehouses full of this stuff and supply chains ready to supply more ammo in short order. I mean I’m no expert but the solution seems pretty clear. Give the Ukrainians loads of superior ranged weapons and let them win with full NATO support in every way but actual war fighting.
NATO in general, and the US in particular are not major artillery forces in the way that Russia and Ukraine are. NATO doctrine is based around air supremacy. Prior to this year, Ukraine was easily the second largest artillery force in Europe, which makes it difficult for NATO to replicate that sort of power. Certainly NATO equipment is more effective, but that only goes so far.

I think ^^^ is a crucial point - for NATO, all of the stuff that the Ukrainians are walloping with GMLRS with so much success is stuff that's on the Air Components' shit list.

Using artillery to hit a supply dump 100km behind the line simply isn't something NATO would do - we'd use aircraft.

It's just different ways of conducting warfare - NATO doesn't go in for 'operational level' artillery simply because we prefer to use air power for such tasks/battle framing. The Sovs/Russians/Ukrainians never believed they could produce the local air superiority required to attack NATO's rear areas, so chose to rely on long ranged ground based systems instead.

I think ^^^ is a crucial point - for NATO, all of the stuff that the Ukrainians are walloping with GMLRS with so much success is stuff that's on the Air Components' shit list.

Using artillery to hit a supply dump 100km behind the line simply isn't something NATO would do - we'd use aircraft.

It's just different ways of conducting warfare - NATO doesn't go in for 'operational level' artillery simply because we prefer to use air power for such tasks/battle framing. The Sovs/Russians/Ukrainians never believed they could produce the local air superiority required to attack NATO's rear areas, so chose to rely on long ranged ground based systems instead.
A happy accident of history/military doctrine, then, that NATO turned out to have long-range ground-based weapons that could do what Russia was trying to do, but better/more accurately/over longer range. Albeit not in such quantity.

Yesterday Ukraine and Russia signed a deal to allow grain experts to recommence from Black Sea ports, primarily Odessa:

Today there are reports on Twitter of missile strikes on Odessa:

It would appear that the phrase 'Russian government' and the word 'trust' are mutually exclusive.

Those Russian production standards in full...
FYay96XWIAI7ZTa.jpeg

From a Russian Army BMP2 infantry fighting vehicle - the barrel is for a 37mm gun. The upside is that it will shoot round corners, the downside is that the barrel will go bang, with sub-optimal results for anyone inside the vehicle. Or near it.

View attachment 334283

From a Russian Army BMP2 infantry fighting vehicle - the barrel is for a 37mm gun. The upside is that it will shoot round corners, the downside is that the barrel will go bang, with sub-optimal results for anyone inside the vehicle. Or near it.
I work in a machine/welding shop and I've seen some head shaking skrewups. But wow, this actually made it to the front line?

View attachment 334283

00Г - licence to kill himself

Russian 007 Gun Barrel.jpg

View attachment 334283

Someone whose job makes me think they know what they're talking about says the embargo since 2014 has really hurt them on this. Essentially the market for machine tools only has a very high end and a very low end. The high end kit is so good these days, that if quality matters at all to you you cough up the change and buy it. Otherwise the cheap kit is the absolutely bare minimum and you get things like that above.

Edit: And obviously Russia has not been able to buy the good stuff from US/EU/Japan. The high end kit is so accurate it just obliterated the market for anything more than "better than nothing".

Last edited:
View attachment 334283

Top work brother metalworkers.

I thought we were the laziest, but I now feel utterly shamed.

Back
Top Bottom