Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Just wondering how credible it is that 40 top ranking army commanders all sit down for a face to face within range of Ukrainian artillery in a war zone.

He said high-ranking not top-ranking.

It was widely reported a couple of days ago that Gerasimov was moving into the warzone near Izium to take direct command of forces there. I doubt that once arriving he'd direct everything by telephone. It seems pretty reasonable to suppose he would have met with a bunch of officers more junior than him.

Last edited:
Just wondering how credible it is that 40 top ranking army commanders all sit down for a face to face within range of Ukrainian artillery in a war zone.
Was it artillery? They have a few medium range rockets like the one that took out the Mosckva don't they?

He said high-ranking not top-ranking.

It was widely reported a couple of days ago that Gerasimov was moving into the warzone near Izium to take direct command of forces there. I doubt that once arriving he'd direct everything by telephone. It seems pretty unremarkable to suppose he would have met with a bunch of officers more junior than him.

I'm pretty sure that Putin sent him there to die - classic fall guy

The first time I saw that clip someone said it was an MLRS strike which, to this untrained eye, looks possible what with the almost simultaneous explosions. I don’t know what the range of those is. Shame we haven’t got an expert in the field handy…

The first time I saw that clip someone said it was an MLRS strike which, to this untrained eye, looks possible what with the almost simultaneous explosions. I don’t know what the range of those is. Shame we haven’t got an expert in the field handy…
I thought the rockets made bigger bangs. Howitzers can do simultaneous explosions over long distances by shooting multiple shots on different trajectories. I'm no military expert though.

I thought the rockets made bigger bangs. Howitzers can do simultaneous explosions over long distances by shooting multiple shots on different trajectories. I'm no military expert though.

Depends, rockets can come in various sizes and delivery methods. The one that took out the Moskva was launched by something like this:

1651420343248.png1651420364322.png

MLRS send multiple rockets down the way more or less at the same time for an area strike but they'd be smaller than the Neptune above.

This is my understanding as an armchair military observer.

As maomao suggest, I think it's probably good, old fashioned tube artillery - the first dozen shells look like they've been fired for 'time on target', which means using different gun elevations and charges to get as many shells in the airas possible, and using ballistics to get them to land together/within a very short space of time to catch as many people out in the open as you can.

Then it goes into Fire for Effect, which is less mathematics, and more just shoving them out as quickly as possible.

The fusing looks to be a combination of surface and low altitude airburst - which is what you'd use against light/unarmoured targets.

The advantage tube artillery has over MLRS in this case is that it's much easier to fiddle about fusing as the shoot is progressing, which you might need to do if the enemy gets into trenches for example.

Wow. You'd think the Russians might have slightly improved their counter intelligence operation, seeing as how many top brass they are losing. Haven't they heard of burner phones? Or zoom meetings?

Role demonstrations, not exercises.

They practice (ish) doing stuff to the enemy, not the enemy doing stuff to them.

If you do that for long enough you simply stop being in a mindset to adapt and overcome, it just becomes about plugging away in the same way, repeatedly, in order to grind out a result.

(To be fair, a very senior officer holding a conference with other senior officers generates a huge amount of signal - you could detect it from the moon....).

Role demonstrations, not exercises.

They practice (ish) doing stuff to the enemy, not the enemy doing stuff to them.

If you do that for long enough you simply stop being in a mindset to adapt and overcome, it just becomes about plugging away in the same way, repeatedly, in order to grind out a result.

(To be fair, a very senior officer holding a conference with other senior officers generates a huge amount of signal - you could detect it from the moon....).
Yeah. It does totally seem that they didn't anticipate that the other side might actually shoot back.

Back
Top Bottom