Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty IIRC

Weirdly enough Radio Free Portugal was run by the Portuguese Communist Party

Not sure what you are being skeptical about ?

As I said, that he was being paid by a US PMC to be fighting there. If you read the article (and the CNN one) it's not clear that's the case at all. And if US PMCs were there fighting I'm sure it'd be much bigger news. It looks much more like he was with the Ukrainian Legion. Happy to be shown otherwise, but nothing in that article makes me think he was.

E2A: Actually I think the article has been corrected to show that he was there with the Ukrainians not the PMC he signed up with. I don't think there's any relevance to him having signed up with a PMC btw, there's loads of shit PMCs that will sign anyone up but never do anything with them. He was only 22 as well, not going to be anything that special for a PMC to be desperate to have him.

As I said, that he was being paid by a US PMC to be fighting there. If you read the article (and the CNN one) it's not clear that's the case at all. And if US PMCs were there fighting I'm sure it'd be much bigger news. It looks much more like he was with the Ukrainian Legion. Happy to be shown otherwise, but nothing in that article makes me think he was.

E2A: Actually I think the article has been corrected to show that he was there with the Ukrainians not the PMC he signed up with. I don't think there's any relevance to him having signed up with a PMC btw, there's loads of shit PMCs that will sign anyone up but never do anything with them. He was only 22 as well, not going to be anything that special for a PMC to be desperate to have him.

Well, you might be better placed and informed than me however all the articles seem to quote the CNN article ie his mother as the source for the PMC link.

The 22-year-old was working with a private military contracting company when he was killed on Monday. The company had sent him to Ukraine, and he was being paid while he was fighting there, Cancel's mother, Rebecca Cabrera, told CNN.
Cabrera said Cancel "wanted" to do the military contract work.
"It was something that he believed in his heart, that was the right thing. He was the type of man who always stepped up when everybody else stepped back, and there were a lot of men who were like that that were with him," Cabrera said.

Perhaps his mother misunderstood the situation or misheard him?

i have decided to no longer make any posts where i take a fucking stand on what is going to happen here. based on history and a bit of economic knowledge has proven to be utterly futile in working out what is going to happen next. I hang my head in shame. it pointless

i have decided to no longer make any posts where i take a fucking stand on what is going to happen here. based on history and a bit of economic knowledge has proven to be utterly futile in working out what is going to happen next. I hang my head in shame. it pointless
tbf the (internet) chat game of guessing 'what next' in politics is just impotence in action - i say that as i feel it too
making change is the only valuable bit, most everything else is waffle (though of course there's value in understanding wtf is going and why)

Claim no shame. But I think you're right about making predictions - the paradigm has hugely shifted, and I don't think anyone is in a position to make informed specific predictions about what happens from here...

We're back 33 years to before the wall came down, but the wall's moved and the war's started. We're in the war, but we're not fighting. Our prime minister is a fool who's been ambushed by cake, we're heading for a recession and food shortages and riots and climate collapse, but somehow the country is awash with new Range Rovers. Millions are dying because of famine and drought, but we ignore them. Millions more are refugees, fleeing crop failure and desertification and war, but we let them drown. If they don't drown our government wants to fly them to Rwanda. I don't think anyone can make predictions any more.

We're back 33 years to before the wall came down, but the wall's moved and the war's started. We're in the war, but we're not fighting. Our prime minister is a fool who's been ambushed by cake, we're heading for a recession and food shortages and riots and climate collapse, but somehow the country is awash with new Range Rovers. Millions are dying because of famine and drought, but we ignore them. Millions more are refugees, fleeing crop failure and desertification and war, but we let them drown. If they don't drown our government wants to fly them to Rwanda. I don't think anyone can make predictions any more.

Fiction has to make sense or the reader puts it down, reality has no such restrictions

Every time war happens I see the connection between war and lord, a name that is rarely used, especially in the west. That's what happens though, some lords decide to send poorer less influential people into battle. People die, seldom the warlord.

I love that we can do other stuff than simply gather food these days but we still give power to people who don't care about our welfare. As you say, like the landed gentry from back in the day. We don't want war. Only people like Putin want to fight wars.

Today we introduce a new level of batshit crazy....

Ukraine isn't going so well because of NATO, so we may have to demilitarise NATO.

There's another one of these where one of them seems to be cracking. He vaguely objects to the unleashing of global nuclear holocaust by saying something like "hang on a minute, we'll all be dead too" but he gets overruled with "so what, we'll start with a clean slate" etc. Replace him with Galloway imo.

eta: found it. I thought it might've been a fever dream

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom