Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

you're persuaded then that these were self-murders and not assassinations

It's about as convincing as a Giraffe in dark glasses trying to get into a Polar Bears only nightclub....

Some of them probably have topped themselves - jetsetting lifestyles are over, assets seized, about to become this week's enemy within - but given the numybr of people who accidentally fall out of windows while having heart attacks in Putin's Russia...

It's about as convincing as a Giraffe in dark glasses trying to get into a Polar Bears only nightclub....

Some of them probably have topped themselves - jetsetting lifestyles are over, assets seized, about to become this week's enemy within - but given the numybr of people who accidentally fall out of windows while having heart attacks in Putin's Russia...
Doubt shed about one of the 'suicides'. Evidence apparently suspicious La matança de Lloret: crim domèstic o mafiós? The son of a Russian oligarch accused of killing himself and his family says his father was murdered

However in other ways things seem even more like a theatre of the absurd than before, and so part of me still struggles to take nuclear threats seriously.
Yep, me too. As always, when measuring the risk of nukes it's a case of them being catastrophic when used, but of a very low chance that they will be used. Even if you constructed some scenario of Nato troops getting involved and driving the Russians back beyond the borders of Ukraine - something that clearly won't happen - it would still remain a very low likelihood event. In the current situation of Nato countries simply providing munitions, training and the like, the chances of nukes are nil. To put it bluntly, why would the Russians, or indeed anyone, trigger a nuclear war? Yes, there'll be more missile tests and things being moved 'into place', but it's ultimately a threat and a dance (even if a dangerous one).

Biden has asked congress for an additional $33bn for Ukraine, including $20bn in military aid, $8.5bn in economic aid and $3.5bn in humanitarian aid.

Biden clearly thinks Putin is bluffing about the nukes. That's about half Russia's entire military budget for last year (maybe more when you account for all the theft and corruption in the Russian military).

Hopefully the same applies to Fox News and Trump’s Truth Tv if that’s still going.
I'd hope so. The difference is that this is pretty much the only kind of current affairs TV in Russia now, and it's got wackier, so (I think) less of an ideological decision than it'd be for a fairly well-known commentator working on Fox News or the like.

Biden has asked congress for an additional $33bn for Ukraine, including $20bn in military aid, $8.5bn in economic aid and $3.5bn in humanitarian aid.

Biden clearly thinks Putin is bluffing about the nukes. That's about half Russia's entire military budget for last year (maybe more when you account for all the theft and corruption in the Russian military).

I really hope there is a comparable amount of diplomatic activity / engagement directly with them, if not to come to a peace then at least to keep communications open. Thinking they are "bluffing about the nukes" is so incredibly dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom