Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Yet more horrors from Bucha - there's enough there to keep war crimes investigators busy for years, and it seems it could just be a microcosm of what happened in Mariupol and elsewhere.

“We already have a few cases which suggest that these women had been raped before being shot to death,” said Vladyslav Perovskyi, a Ukrainian forensic doctor who with a team of coroners has carried out dozens of autopsies on residents from Bucha, Irpin and Borodianka who died during Russia’s month-long occupation of the area.

“We can’t give more details as my colleagues are still collecting the data and we still have hundreds of bodies to examine,” he said.

Can only imagine how grim Mariupol is at this point

• Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Western arms shipments to Ukraine mean Nato is "in essence engaged in war with Russia" and there is "considerable" risk of the conflict going nuclear

• Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Western arms shipments to Ukraine mean Nato is "in essence engaged in war with Russia" and there is "considerable" risk of the conflict going nuclear
Lavrov's inexecrable scum but he's not wrong on either point.

The West would almost certainly not respond (immediately) with a full scale nuclear attack if Russia used one "small" nuke against Lviv or somewhere else in Western Ukraine but yes, the chances of it setting off a domino effect of escalation towards nuclear holocaust would be too horrific to think about. But this talking about "risk" when it would be a unilateral decision by Russia to go nuclear is sickening

The West would almost certainly not respond (immediately) with a full scale nuclear attack if Russia used one "small" nuke against Lviv or somewhere else in Western Ukraine but yes, the chances of it setting off a domino effect of escalation towards nuclear holocaust would be too horrific to think about. But this talking about "risk" when it would be a unilateral decision by Russia to go nuclear is sickening

Russia using a nuke on Ukraine would make them even more of a pariah state than they are already, even if it doesn't invite a thermonuclear response. Russia is run by kleptocrats, not ideologues. A significant chunk of their assets have been squirelled away in various places across the West, they would certainly not be in favour of making it even more difficult to access those riches than it has become already.

Russia using a nuke on Ukraine would make them even more of a pariah state than they are already, even if it doesn't invite a thermonuclear response. Russia is run by kleptocrats, not ideologues. A significant chunk of their assets have been squirelled away in various places across the West, they would certainly not be in favour of making it even more difficult to access those riches than it has become already.
That's what we all said nine weeks ago.

That Link is March this year, you seem well up on history but piss poor at reading whats happening real time, heres another link that might inform
You fell down the stupid tree and banged your head on every branch. The link you thought from march last updated April 14. With attention to detail like that it's no wonder you come out with utter nonsense.

Your link is from march. Now, what was that you were saying about history and current events?

I think it's more nuanced than that - Russia is run by people who are kleptocrats, but I don't think that prevents them also being ideologically motivated.

Putin is undoubtedly very ideologically motivated - he's a Make Russia Great Again guy, and the mood music, the visible emotion he displays when he talks about the quasi-fascist blood and soil stuff suggests to me that he really believes it.

He's a thieving shit, but I think it would be a great mistake to assume that the thieving is the motivator rather than just being a happy side effect.

I think it's more nuanced than that - Russia is run by people who are kleptocrats, but I don't think that prevents them also being ideologically motivated.

Putin is undoubtedly very ideologically motivated - he's a Make Russia Great Again guy, and the mood music, the visible emotion he displays when he talks about the quasi-fascist blood and soil stuff suggests to me that he really believes it.

He's a thieving shit, but I think it would be a great mistake to assume that the thieving is the motivator rather than just being a happy side effect.
While this is definitely true, I think kleptocracy represents a big part of his ideology. It was kleptocrats that brought him to power, and what has kept him in power.

But now, as with all the best (worst) Ponzi schemes, he's finding out what happens when you actually try to cash in on your notional gains.

Trouble is, so far, he's achieved precisely the opposite of 'Make Russia Great Again'.
As did Trump, with MAGA, and Johnson with the whole "Great" Britain thing. Seems there's some kind of correlation between grandiose fantasy and fucking it up. Who knew?

And I can't help thinking of Mister Hitler and his Greater Germany/Thousand Year Reich, too. That ended well :rolleyes:

Putin may be a true believer, I can see that. But how far can he drag the rest of the Russian elites along for the ride?

That's what we all said nine weeks ago.

The invasion changed the calculus, that's true. But nuking Ukraine would also change it again, and in a much bigger way that would be felt across the world.

You fell down the stupid tree and banged your head on every branch. The link you thought from march last updated April 14. With attention to detail like that it's no wonder you come out with utter nonsense.

Your link is from march. Now, what was that you were saying about history and current events?
That you took almost a day to think up that ineffectual little sneer really shows what a sad individual you are, Your mask is slipping old boy

Last edited:

Paywall busted link, for those that was reached their article limit - archive.ph

The Moldovan authorities are nervous.

On Monday, the Moldovan government said the Tiraspol blasts were aimed at creating tensions in a region it had no control of.

Last week, a senior Russian military official said the second phase of what Russia calls its "special military operation" included a plan to take full control of southern Ukraine and improve its access to Transdniestria.

That you took almost a day to think up that ineffectual little sneer really shows what a sad individual you are, Your mask is slipping old boy
i'm not wearing a mask. there are two problems with your rejoinder, the one that you made it at all and the second that your post is sadly bereft of anything about the war. this is an important thread, far too important to indulge the pitiful contributions you make: we'd all - even you - be better off if you pipe down and read until you manage to cobble something together which adds to the debate

More explosions in Transnistria this morning, damaging the Grigoriopol transmitter that broadcasts Russian radio.

I do like the fact an evangelical Christian media distributor calls itself Trans World Radio. Maybe they're coming round.

I looked up who uses it (the transmitter) because I don't think a false flag would involve blowing up your own media content. It's also used by Vesti FM which is Russian, broadcasting to over 60 regions. But maybe they're expendable. Who knows?

Interesting development:

They were asking for that, I'll add that to this thread -

People fleeing Transnistra. Yeah, we all know the Russians did it.

See rest of linked thread.

I can't read Twitter (and am becoming increasingly frustrated with it's use as a primary news source on here).

But. If it was the Russians (and yes it looks that way) then surely this is the precursor to an invasion of Moldova, no? Otherwise, why do it.

Happy days.

Back
Top Bottom