Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Neither Romania or Moldova have any plans to invade Transnistria. Transnistria supplies a lot of Moldova's electricity. Both sides are quietly hoping the war goes away. The 'Pro Russian' nature of Transnistria vastly overstated
Transnistria wants to be independent. If forced to choose, they'd probably rather go with the heavy yoke of Moldova or Romania than be ruled by Moscow.

Putin's latest propaganda is 'Romanian troops are replacing Moldovan ones' which was one of the fears that led to the war in 1992 - Transnistria had bad memories of the Romanian occupation during WW2. Transnistria's population is roughly split equally between Russians, Ukrainians and Moldovans.

0.2% Transnistrian apparently.

And to back you up with why people in Transnistria might have a bit of a thing about Romanians, from Wikipedia

The term Transnistria was used in relation to eastern Moldova for the first time in 1989,[33][34][35] in the election slogan of the deputy and member of the Popular Front of Moldova Leonida Lari:[36][37][38]

Let my hands be covered in blood up to my elbows, but I will throw out the invaders, aliens and mankurt over the Dniester, I will throw them out of Transnistria, and you, the Romanians, are the real owners of this long-suffering land, you will get their houses, their apartments, along with their furniture ... We will make them speak Romanian, respect our language, our culture!

0.2% Transnistrian apparently.

And to back you up with why people in Transnistria might have a bit of a thing about Romanians, from Wikipedia

The term Transnistria was used in relation to eastern Moldova for the first time in 1989,[33][34][35] in the election slogan of the deputy and member of the Popular Front of Moldova Leonida Lari:[36][37][38]
There was some of that yeah, but very important not to overstate it though. Around 1500 people died in a year, the vast majority of them soldiers, although there were around 50,000 internally displaced.

You can travel between the two with few problems tbh (or could when I was there)

Long range artillery supplied by Nato countries will be arriving in Ukraine over the next 2 weeks. Malcolm Nance, who is fighting with the International Brigade, was on the 3pm World Service news saying that artillery is Russia's only real advantage, and that the new stuff, which has a longer range than the Russian stuff, will change the balance of the war.

Some details of the artillery here Nato pins hopes on heavy artillery, drones and radar to blunt Russian offensive and here ‘The race is on’: Britain moves to get heavy artillery to Ukraine

Even Germany is going to start supplying heavy weapons.

Germany will authorise the delivery of anti-aircraft systems to Ukraine, the German defence minister has said, in what would be a clear switch in Berlin’s cautious policy on military backing for Kyiv.

The government has agreed to sign off the delivery of used Gepard anti-aircraft weapons systems, Christine Lambrecht told an international meeting of defence ministers at the US Ramstein airbase, according to a draft of her speech seen by Agence France-Presse.
----
The German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, has come under criticism for refusing to send heavy weapons directly to Ukraine, despite announcing a “turning point” in its defence policy in response to the war. LINK

I know Sweden's expensive but she got ripped off with that Camel Donkey-Jacket at 25,000 Kr.
It's badly fitted for sure. Guess snobby types only care that their clothes are expensive. Well she's just lost her job so perhaps the next time she wants to fork out 1,000s of kr on something she'll have to reflect. I doubt it but live in hope.

When that box comes up, if you click on "log in" then just close the next box that comes up "Sign in to twitter" you can just carry on as before without signing in.

They stopped you closing the next box (they removed the x) weeks ago.

But something changed or isn't consistent because today I could read DLR's twitter thread - but LBJ couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom