Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Using any kind of nuke potentially puts them in the bad guy category with the likes of China, India etc. who may have tolerated his little incursion thus far, but threatening the global stability that they all feather their nests with might be a step too much. Of course, they’d blame Ukraine for a false flag or something because they’re absolutely shameless liars.

Using any kind of nuke potentially puts them in the bad guy category with the likes of China, India etc. who may have tolerated his little incursion thus far, but threatening the global stability that they all feather their nests with might be a step too much. Of course, they’d blame Ukraine for a false flag or something because they’re absolutely shameless liars.
My (completely speculative) opinion is that the Chinese have asked them to tone down the nuclear stuff. in the first month or so we'd get a reminder of Russian nuclear weapons once a week or so but now it's all 'unpredictable consequences' and being seen with his nuclear football. Whether that affects their willlingness to actually use the things I don't know.

There's some clips from Russian State media saying the 'special operation' has now been completed and it's time to leave rather than get bogged down/stuck/etc. Wonder if there's some shift going on? (Also some batshit stuff about biolabs still, as well as some opinions about how it's a war against all of NATO now.)

If you haven't watched any new clips from Russian TV it's worth it, quite eye opening levels of lunacy.

Leave what though? They’re not going to walk away from Mariupol after the bloodletting required to take it. They need a trophy/victory for May 9th.

Leave what though? They’re not going to walk away from Mariupol after the bloodletting required to take it. They need a trophy/victory for May 9th.

Just reporting what I've seen. Does seem unlikely to me as well though. I would guess they're a bit torn between bailing as soon as possible in some face-saving way, or going all in, and I agree with some of the comments up-thread about how that might look, i.e. nuclear or chemical.

There's some clips from Russian State media saying the 'special operation' has now been completed and it's time to leave rather than get bogged down/stuck/etc. Wonder if there's some shift going on? (Also some batshit stuff about biolabs still, as well as some opinions about how it's a war against all of NATO now.)

If you haven't watched any new clips from Russian TV it's worth it, quite eye opening levels of lunacy.

I saw it too. Turns out it's old - from the beginning of March.

At this point it is clear that so far this is a major strategic disaster for Russia.

1. There is no chance of Ukraine being integrated into a greater Russia, super mastermind Putin has manged to foster nothing but resentment and hate from the most pro Russia part of Ukraine.

2. He may have wanted to try and divide NATO but in fact NATO is largely unified, is uping military spending and possibly expanding.

3. If he wanted a showcase of Russian military might, this has not been it.

4. Russia is more isolated internationally and subject to severe sanctions. Possibly more significant is the plans in Europe to stop importing Russian oil and gas. Although I will believe that when it actually happens.

Considering the losses they are taking then yes, they either need to withdraw soon or commit even harder. Which I think probably means the use of chemical weapons. There are rummers they have been used already but if so it was not a large scale use. Chemical weapon use is much easier to deny or claim is a false flag compared to nuclear. The nuclear option is still a long way off I think.

At this point it is clear that so far this is a major strategic disaster for Russia.

1. There is no chance of Ukraine being integrated into a greater Russia, super mastermind Putin has manged to foster nothing but resentment and hate from the most pro Russia part of Ukraine.

2. He may have wanted to try and divide NATO but in fact NATO is largely unified, is uping military spending and possibly expanding.

3. If he wanted a showcase of Russian military might, this has not been it.

4. Russia is more isolated internationally and subject to severe sanctions. Possibly more significant is the plans in Europe to stop importing Russian oil and gas. Although I will believe that when it actually happens.

Considering the losses they are taking then yes, they either need to withdraw soon or commit even harder. Which I think probably means the use of chemical weapons. There are rummers they have been used already but if so it was not a large scale use. Chemical weapon use is much easier to deny or claim is a false flag compared to nuclear. The nuclear option is still a long way off I think.
From Nehammer's visit, it sounds as if Putin thinks he's doing okay. Even though Russia was beaten back in the north Putin still controls the areas he took at the beginning of the war plus the land bridge and expanded areas in the east. Putin can still call this a win up to this point, ignoring the enormous cost. But Putin cannot lose any of his gains on the original battlefield because that will be unspinnable.

Let's hope that the corruption and graft in their nuke arsenal is even more endemic and impactful to the hardware than in their conventional forces...
No one knows.
They could be dedicated and proffesional like the airborne unit that basically fought to the last trying to hold on to the airport they seized at the start of the war.
Or Rubbish like the rest of the military not a bet anyone wants to make.

Whatever they call a win or not, Putin's fucked it. Europe was scaling back on all oil and gas use, this is speeding things up in that direction. The documented war crimes that have been committed this past two months are too many to ignore, Putin will never again be invited to the table, for as long as he remains in charge Russia will be a pariah to the west, a west that will go in and help rebuild what's left of Ukraine and cement its place there. However Putin can't step down as when he does he'll be killed. Tricky situation for the Grand Master...

Even if only 1 in work that is more than enough.
They supposedly have 1600 usable out of a stock of 6000 warheads. Say they're lying and they know half of them don't work (unlikely), half of the remaining malfunction (again unlikely) and that western air defense do far better than anyone expected and take out half the remaining then that's 200 nuclear bombs and a probably nine digit death toll. Most of the missiles are in the 400-800kt range so 20-40 Hiroshima's a time but they claim to have 50-100kt drone subs which you don't even want to think about.

Whatever they call a win or not, Putin's fucked it. Europe was scaling back on all oil and gas use, this is speeding things up in that direction. The documented war crimes that have been committed this past two months are two many to ignore, Putin will never again be invited to the table, for as long as he remains in charge Russia will be a pariah to the west, a west that will go in and help rebuild what's left of Ukraine and cement its place there. However Putin can't step down as when he does he'll be killed. Tricky situation for the Grand Master...
I'd say anyone in the same camp as Putin will be treated like Putin. Russia will need a political 180 before any progress is made. I think, outside of any major changes, whoever replaces Putin will try to appear to be less Imperial Russia and more West friendly. You know, business is business. I doubt it will fool anybody.

They supposedly have 1600 usable out of a stock of 6000 warheads. Say they're lying and they know half of them don't work (unlikely), half of the remaining malfunction (again unlikely) and that western air defense do far better than anyone expected and take out half the remaining then that's 200 nuclear bombs and a probably nine digit death toll. Most of the missiles are in the 400-800kt range so 20-40 Hiroshima's a time but they claim to have 50-100kt drone subs which you don't even want to think about.

yeah - but who would win?

I was watching something on YouTube this morning, (again, yeah, I know, I have trouble sleeping,) and it was pointing out the vagueness of their objectives. It is feasible they could claim to have met these denazification of Ukraine, strengthening support for the Russian minorities in the east, seeing Ukraine phorfit NATO membership, et cetera. This could be presented to the domestic audience. Internationally they have fucked themselves either way, though of course.

Think Ne hammer is wrong when he says no one agrees with Putin , Pyrrhus would tell him he's doing a grand job. But what would I know? I still can't work out what JK Rowling being cancelled has to do with Russian national Security

Navalny wants the West to buy ads on social media to inform the Russian public about the war. How would this work? Putin's already blocked Facebook and Instagram. Presumably he could block any other platform if he wants to? Is Navalny talking about ads in Google search results or something?

Edit: perhaps we English speakers haven't fully understood Navalny's request, which is in 31 tweets

Putin and chums really are fucking useless, aren't they?

Not only did they fail to poison Navalny properly, but they are also incapable of keeping him of Twitter even when they've got him locked up in the Lubyanka. Comrade Stalin and Ivan the Terrible must be rotating in their sarcophagi.

Last edited:
A thought occurred to me just now - are we maybe missing something much deeper in the various Russian failures and could it be that Putin's plan has been being sabotaged all along by interests in the Russian govt working on their own account?

I'm sure it's not a tremendously new take but I was thinking about the peculiar failures of the Russian air force - maybe the reason they haven't turned up has been as much to do with a lack of will as much as anything else.

A thought occurred to me just now - are we maybe missing something much deeper in the various Russian failures and could it be that Putin's plan has been being sabotaged all along by interests in the Russian govt working on their own account?

I'm sure it's not a tremendously new take but I was thinking about the peculiar failures of the Russian air force - maybe the reason they haven't turned up has been as much to do with a lack of will as much as anything else.

In the interests of M.I.9 and 3/4.

<sings> Take as old as time...

Back
Top Bottom