Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Radiohead's 4 minute warning is the best ever, imho. There's no juxtapositioning with lyrics or tempo. It stays simple, grounded and it's 4 minutes long. This video someone did for it makes you wonder why the Russians haven't thought to weld school desks on top of the tanks.

My three top songs about nuclear weapons are culture shock's four minutes, nena's 99 red balloons and Tom lehrer's we will all go together when we go. And perhaps an honourable mention for Europe's final countdown
all those and The Damneds captain sensible Glad its all over O.M.D Enloa Gay there were lots more
These times remind me sadly very much of the threat of nuclear war I felt in 80s cold war , cnd marches etc with those lyrics in the charts in 80s though not all were obvious on first listen but most young people I knew were nervous wrecks and on edge most the time .or had various mental health problems through worry depression etc about the future
Its that I worry about now for our kids this so soon after a pandemic lock down lack of nhs help shit worst cheating government since Thatcher

Couldn't quite get Boy Georges offering I thought that was possibly the worst but I guess it was clear

Boy George The War Song Lyrics
War, war is stupid and people are stupid
And love means nothing in some strange quarters
War, war is stupid and people are stupid etc etc

Last edited:
Radiohead's 4 minute warning is the best ever, imho. There's no juxtapositioning with lyrics or tempo. It stays simple, grounded and it's 4 minutes long. This video someone did for it makes you wonder why the Russians haven't thought to weld school desks on top of the tanks.

Not as good as Mark Owen from Take That's song on it.

If they're using 2 man crews in their tanks now in Ukraine it may be that they don't have many trained personnel to spare.
There's a theory that that the 2 man tank crews are the result of corruption. The officers pretend that the tank has a crew of 3 and pocket the salary of the 'ghost' soldier. Apparently a common problem in many armies, and well known in the Russian army when it was in Afghanistan. During peacetime it's easy to get away with it, but when a war starts the corrupt officers either have to admit their crime or send undermanned T-72s into battle. Allegedly you can spot them because the turret doesn't rotate much, because the missing man's job is to scan for enemies to the sides. The tank becomes much easier to attack.

There's a theory that that the 2 man tank crews are the result of corruption. The officers pretend that the tank has a crew of 3 and pocket the salary of the 'ghost' soldier. Apparently a common problem in many armies, and well known in the Russian army when it was in Afghanistan. During peacetime it's easy to get away with it, but when a war starts the corrupt officers either have to admit their crime or send undermanned T-72s into battle. Allegedly you can spot them because the turret doesn't rotate much, because the missing man's job is to scan for enemies to the sides. The tank becomes much easier to attack.

Do you have anything to support this maybe consisting of evidence from the last 20 years? Or is it another clapson fact?

Do you have anything to support this maybe consisting of evidence from the last 20 years? Or is it another clapson fact?

To be fair, it was rampant in both Iraq and Afghanistan in the last 20 years.

I had the great honour of 'mentoring' an ANA Brigade, it should have had, and was paid to have, about 3,000 souls - I reckon I probably saw no more that 500 of them over 6 months...

All the officers in the Bde, and their superiors in the Div and Corps, were loaded to fuck..

I had the great honour of 'mentoring' an ANA Brigade, it should have had, and was paid to have, about 3,000 souls - I reckon I probably saw no more that 500 of them over 6 months...

All the officers in the Bde, and their superiors in the Div and Corps, were loaded to fuck..
I meant done by the Russians in the last 20 years.

It would seem that their aim is unerring when it comes to targeting their own insteps.

There've also been many accounts of corruption in the Black Sea fleet over the years. Ten to one that corruption contributed to Moskva's demise. Ghost sailors on missile defence, or poor protection of ammunition because somebody trousered the refit budget...could be 100 different things. Corruption was a factor in the loss of the Kursk submarine in 2000. Sounds like Putin hasn't been able to overcome it.

There've also been many accounts of corruption in the Black Sea fleet over the years. Ten to one that corruption contributed to Moskva's demise. Ghost sailors on missile defence, or poor protection of ammunition because somebody trousered the refit budget...could be 100 different things. Corruption was a factor in the loss of the Kursk submarine in 2000. Sounds like Putin hasn't been able to overcome it.

I'll take that as a no then

Your 1995 and 2000 links don't for obvious reasons speak to the last 22 years while I don't think you've read the 2017 document

There's an interesting Twitter thread (CBA to find it right now) which talks about cost-cutting and delays on...fire alarm systems on that class of ship. Erk :eek:

Why would you trust any Russian evidence? Do you think it likely that the Russians would admit this? Do you think that corruption in other parts of the world is unlikely to happen within the Russian military?
Don't waste your time, it has no interest in information-sharing. It lives for point-scoring. Look at its post count! Best ignore it, as I nearly always do.

Why would you trust any Russian evidence? Do you think it likely that the Russians would admit this? Do you think that corruption in other parts of the world is unlikely to happen within the Russian military?
I have no reason to believe any old rumour floated here by someone who is as invested as clapson is. Rather than doubling down as he has, might simply have said what you have. He has extrapolated from evidence more than 20 years auld to draw conclusions I don't think the sources will bear on how things are now.

Would I trust russian evidence? It depends on the Russian providing it. Thousands of people must have left the Russian navy in the last 20 years, and if clapson's claim is true about the Moskva you'd think someone might have come forth to speak to ghost sailors or whatnot. Similar with the tank crews, so many former soldiers exist that that conspiracy seems almost untenable. Would Putin speak to it? No. But he is by no means the only russian and at a time when denigrating Russia has never been so popular it's surprising 'an informed source' has not come forward or been manufactured. Your last question built on sand. It is a non sequitur

Don't waste your time, it has no interest in information-sharing. It lives for point-scoring. Look at its post count! Best ignore it, as I nearly always do.
Yeh it wasn't me who posted this Ukraine 2022: List of resources and authentic sources of info or this Ukraine 2022: List of resources and authentic sources of info.

I'm not point scoring. I'm asking you to support your claims. And if you can't support them, then you shouldn't be posting them. There's so much shit being put out about this war, so much bollocks about what's going on, and it'd be good if people like you didn't so eagerly buy into it. This ought to be a thread for facts, and speculation and rumours ought to be kept to the speculation thread.

Having a high or low postcount isn't evidence of anything. By your argument editor does nothing else but point score, being as he's the highest postcount here. It's a ridiculous argument only a simpleton would think persuasive

Back
Top Bottom