Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

So what do they reckon is the % reduction in total capability to date?

The creator used satellite (i.e google maps), digging through various websites etc to try and get a rough figure of tanks in storage... Most sites had a mix of sheds and outdoor stuff, presume he used basic square footage calculation along with perhaps info from mentioned websites (no idea what those are). Obviously with available resolution he's guessing at repairability to a pretty great extent. I'm not sure how useful his estimates are given capacity to crew vehicles, and a lot of questions over stuff like logistics, fuelling capabilities, probable lack of preventative maintenance even on intact-looking tanks... I think serve more as a debunk to some of the big '12,000 in reserve' type figures than anything.

So what do they reckon is the % reduction in total capability to date?
I don't know. This is only a guess of the youtuber. But if their upkeep of tanks is anything like trucks and such his figures may be more accurate than other tallies out there. Russia will see up on a thousand tanks lost if they keep at it. The rate of loss might slow down due to the more defensive shift they're taking. This is a new type of warfare being used now with drones and multiple drones to pinpoint targets.

Do they have trained personnel on standby to crew them though? Otherwise they're just going to keep getting picked off by modern weoponry which by all accounts can be operated by anyone with not much training.
Probably not enough people trained. Training is a big deal. It costs lots of money in itself. Putin would rather have had a handful of T-14 Armatas for show than to have a competent tank force. If they're using 2 man crews in their tanks now in Ukraine it may be that they don't have many trained personnel to spare. When will Russia learn that top down structure doesn't work? Somebody has to be able to speak out when things aren't being done up to snuff.

Probably not enough people trained. Training is a big deal. It costs lots of money in itself. Putin would rather have had a handful of T-14 Armatas for show than to have a competent tank force. If they're using 2 man crews in their tanks now in Ukraine it may be that they don't have many trained personnel to spare. When will Russia learn that top down structure doesn't work? Somebody has to be able to speak out when things aren't being done up to snuff.
If Russia learned today (Putin: TIL.... " :hmm:) that their structure doesn't work, it'd still take YEARS to train and deploy people with the right idea, and years more to remedy the infrastructure and materiel issues.

Good.

What should we make of the Russian threat of “unpredictable consequences“ for nations who continue to send weapons to Ukraine? It seems a peculiarly vague threat to make, and is that a sign that the revenge they’re planning is something bad enough to not be the kind of thing you spell out in detail?

I suppose one advantage in making such a non-specific threat is that almost anything you later do can be justified by referring back to this as having been a prior warning which was ignored.

Below snapshot from BBC News Live Updates page

019E221A-6690-4D69-9152-598460F7BEE4.jpeg

Unpredictable consequences may involve bombing (from the air) the roads and railways connecting Ukraine to Poland and Slovakia but I doubt they can be super confident of their ability to do that now

What should we make of the Russian threat of “unpredictable consequences“ for nations who continue to send weapons to Ukraine? It seems a peculiarly vague threat to make, and is that a sign that the revenge they’re planning is something bad enough to not be the kind of thing you spell out in detail?

I suppose one advantage in making such a non-specific threat is that almost anything you later do can be justified by referring back to this as having been a prior warning which was ignored.

Below snapshot from BBC News Live Updates page

View attachment 318784
Vague enough to provoke anxiety about nuclear weapons.

I’m reassured though, as Sting dealt with this possibility in the 1980s and considered it would be such an ignorant thing to do.

My three top songs about nuclear weapons are culture shock's four minutes, nena's 99 red balloons and Tom lehrer's we will all go together when we go. And perhaps an honourable mention for Europe's final countdown
Mistakenly attributed to Journey by the Sleaford Mods. Still, they make up for it with the shit in my sock line. :thumbs:

The smell of piss is so strong, it smells like decent bacon
Kevin's getting footloose on the overspill
Under the piss-station
Two pints destroyer on the cobbled floors
No amount of whatever is gonna chirp the chip up
It's "The Final Countdown," by fuckin' Journey
I woke up with shit in my sock outside the Polish off-licence
"They don't mind", said the arsehole to the legs
You got to be cruel to be kind, shit bank
Save it up like Norbert Colon
Release the stench of shit grub like a giant toilet kraken
The lonely life that is touring
I got an armful of decent tunes, mate
But it's all so fuckin' boring

My three top songs about nuclear weapons are culture shock's four minutes, nena's 99 red balloons and Tom lehrer's we will all go together when we go. And perhaps an honourable mention for Europe's final countdown
Tom Lehrer’s is fantastic. Great line after great line.

Nena’s 1980s production is a bit headache inducing, but then I suppose nuclear war would be too.

‘Put down that weapon’ by Midnight Oil is a good nuke tune.

Back
Top Bottom