Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Again, purported OMON and SOBR personnel captured in late February/early March described how they had been tasked with pacification of the civilian population after being deployed behind the initial invasion force, including through execution squads:

Looks like mass killings were planned and only did not take place because of the scale of Ukrainian resistance (thread):

That's nothing, one us division before the invasion of Iraq was actually issued 10,000 body bags in 2003. And if the Russians planned mass executions it's really weird that that's the only aspect of their plans that actually worked. Of course it may be true. But for me that tweet raises at least one eyebrow

Looks like mass killings were planned and only did not take place because of the scale of Ukrainian resistance (thread):

Without wishing to sound like I condone or excuse this (which I don’t), that sort of activity was always going to be their likely response to the mooted Western-backed resistance movements that were being talked up when people thought this would be over quickly and they’d occupy the country. (Edit)Whether that would have happened pre-emptively is another question.

Is this part of some ethnic clensing shit? Terrorise the anti Russian ukraninans out of their towns and replace with settlers?
Whatever the reasons, I fear their will be other similar crimes uncovered.
Think the repurcussions from this will be profound and longlasting.
Wonder how the Ukrainian separatists feel about this?
Or people in crimea?

It would appear to be some kind of scorched earth policy (note mines left everywhere and booby-trapped bodies) with added war crimes thrown in.

I'd be interested in seeing whether these hideous atrocities will be regarded as all stand-alone cases or whether similarities between them indicate a systemic approach by Russian forces. Orders from the top down?

A lot of evidence-gathering (I assume) is taking place.

Words seem redundant to describe some of the mainstream media reports coming in :(

Who's giving these orders? Or is it a question of them just having an understanding 'that this is what happens in war'
It's just what armies do isn't it? The Russia army is just an especially unpleasant.

I think back to the early days of this thread when some posters where saying all sending weapons in would do is prolong the violence.

I said (along with others) that occupation would be more violent. These scenes are exactly what I was afraid of but on a country wide scale. As much as I feel crap supporting NATO sending weapons in, to argue against that is to argue for this on a far greater scale.

It's just what armies do isn't it? The Russia army is just an especially unpleasant.

I think back to the early days of this thread when some posters where saying all sending weapons in would do is prolong the violence.

I said (along with others) that occupation would be more violent. These scenes are exactly what I was afraid of but on a country wide scale. As much as I feel crap supporting NATO sending weapons in, to argue against that is to argue for this on a far greater scale.
i think there is a difference between almost inevitable atrocities carried out in pretty much every war - brutalised troops venting hate/rage/power/revenge on civilians - like mai lai, or the various atrocities carried out in Iraq by coalition troops (or the credible reports of torture of prisoners by Ukrainian troops) - and a deliberate, systematic policy of terror and mass murder planned and organised from above. The former is bad enough - and is usually accompanied by official denial, cover up and little or no interest in prevention or protecting civilians - but the latter is moving into planned genocide territory.

Back
Top Bottom