Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Im asking why you think Putin left the bulk of his army sat on their arses during an invasion, Genuine question? Seems a bit easy to say incompetence hes planned this for a decade probably. Without air cover Ukraine haven't been able to consolidate territory.

looks more like it was planned in one vodka fuelled late night session in the kremlin.

The answer to that question has been really well documented over the last weeks, and essentially comes down to shit logistics from Russia, excellent tactics from the Ukrainian army, the mud season of late winter in Ukraine, and utter incompetence from those leading the Russian forces.
Entirely possible just its laid on so thick I have my doubts.
Genuine answer, because I think you are an example of a large group of people on the left are either incredibly naive, and/or have a sub GCSE level of analysis and I was trying to work out which.

So, I've answered your question. Could you answer mine please?
Hahaha you genuinely think you deserve a reply to your rants. Amazing.

Ukraine are losing
How could Ukraine win? Even if all the Russians left tomorrow? They have been invaded. They have suffered huge population displacement, massive destruction of infrastructure, god knows how many dead.

When you're Russian, what does winning look like? How many dead servicemen do you trade for a scrap of territory?

Yes, Ukraine is outnumbered. It will never be the same again. But whatever victory Russia claims will be Pyrrhic.

ETA: to say nothing of the economic damage to Russia (which seems baked in to their calculations) and the (albeit temporary, because capitalist memories are short) loss of confidence in Russia as a credible actor in any deal.

How could Ukraine win? Even if all the Russians left tomorrow? They have been invaded. They have suffered huge population displacement, massive destruction of infrastructure, god knows how many dead.

When you're Russian, what does winning look like? How many dead servicemen do you trade for a scrap of territory?

Yes, Ukraine is outnumbered. It will never be the same again. But whatever victory Russia claims will be Pyrrhic.
Its appalling he's smashed the place to bits. They have been begging for more support for weeks and been ignored. Disgusting.

Sergei Lavrov is in India trying to flog Russian military hardware.

View attachment 316667

Russia deployed more Battalion Tactical Groups to Belarus than it did to Crimea for the invasion, including more paratroopers, Rosgvardia national guardsmen, and officers. Add in the army from Bryansk in Russia that advanced towards Kyiv and the imbalance is even greater. Those forces were absolutely routed by Ukraine's army.

Anyone who still thinks the east was Putin's priority from the start once they know that is an idiot. Putin fucked up monumentally and it was obvious from about the first week onwards.

Okay General, 99.9 % of people don't have a grasp on this shitshow and my post was just inviting discussion but a quick google Rosgvardia national guardsmen shows they are riot cops and not trained for warfare and are not very happy having been sent there.

Which is kind of the point being made: Russia was bulking up the regular troops who were failing. Rosgvardia were indeed v unhappy about being sent there. Happy to break heads of citizen protesters, not so happy to be shot at.
I would think that the issue of the Rosgvardiya being deployed should be considered in the context of when and why they were deployed.

The 'press conference' with captured OMON and SOBR officers back at the start of March suggests that they were included in the initial invasion, and - taking the accounts of the detainees at face value - were tasked with pacification of the civilian population after what was anticipated to be a swift rollup of Ukrainian military forces.

See here:

How are they making that work

Funny enough, I've just posted about that on the gas thread, see this post -

Reports from Dr in Mariupol.
Russian soldiers raping little kids..

Also reports of women baing raped. Older and elderly women raped and murdered....reports of women committing suicide.

Mrs Frank's aunt in Zaporizhzhia has reported similar things. She's been helping women and children who have escaped Mariupol. Just incomprehenisble horrors.

Indeed we are. But most of us have the slow and easy end of losing. Not yet the bombs/wrecked houses/starving in basements/dying kind of losing.
Not yet anyway but that'll certainly come to a load of countries and people in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia will have the slow and easy end of losing for many years to come no matter the military or political outcome of this war. I wonder how long it will before the number of dead from hunger in countries that would have had food from Ukraine (or Russia, for that matter), from asbestosis or other poisonous dust, from suicide or from other consequences of the war will exceed the number actually killed during the period of the special military operation.

Back
Top Bottom