Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Where might be an authoritative account of life in the NK Army?

as always the views of other defectors are available

I see more reports of executing POWs in recent weeks ...

e2a
over 90 POWs murdered, in contravention of the Geneva Conventions, so far in 2024, and this disgusting tactic appears to be happening more often.

taken from [scroll down a bit - a couple of paragraphs under the first map]

Where might be an authoritative account of life in the NK Army?
i'd try tertitskiy's 'the north korean army: history, structure, daily life' (abingdon: routledge, 2023) myself

Another journalist was killed. She was only 27.

Viktoriia Roshchyna disappeared in August last year; nine months later Russian authorities confirmed she was detained.

This week, her father got a terse letter from the defence ministry in Moscow informing him that Viktoriia was dead, aged 27.

The document said the journalist’s body would be returned in one of the swaps organised by Russia and Ukraine for soldiers killed on the battlefield. The death date was given as 19 September.

Viktoriia Roshchyna: Ukrainian journalist who chronicled Russian occupation dies in prison

Another journalist was killed. She was only 27.

Viktoriia Roshchyna disappeared in August last year; nine months later Russian authorities confirmed she was detained.

Viktoriia Roshchyna: Ukrainian journalist who chronicled Russian occupation dies in prison
1728905953104.png

Viktoriia Roshchyna disappeared in August 2023 in a part of Ukraine now occupied by Russian forces.

It took nine months for Russian authorities to confirm the journalist had been detained. They gave no reason.

This week, her father got a terse letter from the defence ministry in Moscow informing him that Viktoriia was dead, aged 27.

The document said the journalist’s body would be returned in one of the swaps organised by Russia and Ukraine for soldiers killed on the battlefield. The death date was given as 19 September.

Again, there was no explanation.

I really hope that Putin and all the other vile individuals guilty of committing war crimes face justice in the near future.

Ukraine now allows 130 brigades to directly recruit rather than them relying on the national draft centres. Photo is from the filming of the Azov led 3rd Assault Brigade recruitment campaign. recruitment

1728981877269.png

They’re also making a fuckton of money re-exporting sanctioned goods into Russia, I guess they’re scared to stop that too and not just filling their pockets.
Profit's going to come above any other concerns, for sure! Even Georgia, recently invaded and with an ongoing border dispute, is minting it.

It’s reported that some North Korean soldiers have already used the opportunity of being mobilised to the front to escape to ‘the West’, though probably bollocks as not seen confirmation they’re actually there yet. Supposedly something like 5000 are on the way.

I wonder what will happen with POWs in this scenario? What would the convention be - return to NK or offer asylum?

It’s reported that some North Korean soldiers have already used the opportunity of being mobilised to the front to escape to ‘the West’, though probably bollocks as not seen confirmation they’re actually there yet. Supposedly something like 5000 are on the way.

I wonder what will happen with POWs in this scenario? What would the convention be - return to NK or offer asylum?
Yeh its always either or, never some other option egs sending to south Korea or a country of their choice, which if word got out might lead to many kpa personnel surrendering, if common narratives about the dprk are as true as we're often told

Last edited:

Reporting on this is all over the place, for example, I've read that some DPRK workers have been in Russia for some time employed in factories and that some DPRK soldiers have already been killed. There's also the question about where they would be utilised, Kursk has been mentioned for example rather than aiding the Russian advance in Ukraine.

As for escaping to the West, I wonder if they might be seen as 'trophy' asylum seekers by the EU or whether they will suffer the same treatment as others at the borders.

Reporting on this is all over the place, for example, I've read that some DPRK workers have been in Russia for some time employed in factories and that some DPRK soldiers have already been killed. There's also the question about where they would be utilised, Kursk has been mentioned for example rather than aiding the Russian advance in Ukraine.

As for escaping to the West, I wonder if they might be seen as 'trophy' asylum seekers by the EU or whether they will suffer the same treatment as others at the borders.
Defectors from the north who comply with the western narrative about PRNK generally get looked after. Does not improve trust in their accounts.

I've spoken to plenty of North Koreans in China and even one in a pub in Kentish Town (selling DVDs, made it over with the snakeheads after escaping to China) and never heard anything to counter the narrative that it's a complete shithole for 99% of the population. Though, if anything, the army probably have it marginally easier.

Zelensky has appraised the Ukrainian Parliament about his 'victory plan' . There are five main points and three confidential annexes

1. Invitation to join NATO
  2. More weapons, faster delivery, no restrictions on use
  3. Non-nuclear strategic deterrence package that will be sufficient to protect Ukraine from any military threat from Russia ( according to the Washington Post this also includes Ukraine’s neighbors will conducting joint air defense operations to protect Ukraine’s skies )
  4. Partners from the European Union and U.S. sign a special agreement on common use of Ukraine’s critical resources
  5. Post war deployment of Ukrainian units to replace some US troops in Europe

Washington Post https://archive.ph/QzrlQ

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Thoughts/
He would say all that. I don't think he'll get any of it while the war is still ongoing though. Not even if Harris wins the US election. NATO has been very clear on a number of occasions that no-one in an active war can join NATO.

The exact weapons were not revealed by Zelenskyy in his speech to parliament, but he said leaders in the U.S., Germany, France and the U.K. know Kyiv's asks.
AKA, "We know, and the answer is maybe, eventually, at best."
I'm sure anyone following will know I've been highly critical of the West's drip-feed of support, so I'm in favour of it happening. I just don't believe it will. What's different today that wasn't the same yesterday?

But hey, I've been wrong before so I suppose there's hope. Like Australia just announced 49 M1A1s they're sending over.

Zelensky has appraised the Ukrainian Parliament about his 'victory plan' . There are five main points and three confidential annexes

3. Non-nuclear strategic deterrence package that will be sufficient to protect Ukraine from any military threat from Russia ( according to the Washington Post this also includes Ukraine’s neighbors will conducting joint air defense operations to protect Ukraine’s skies )
  4. Partners from the European Union and U.S. sign a special agreement on common use of Ukraine’s critical resources

Thoughts?
It’s unrealistic to the point of delusion.

Thoughts?
Point 4 is interesting " Partners from the European Union and U.S. sign a special agreement on common use of Ukraine’s critical resources"

Theres already been a massive firesale buy out of Ukraine resources by the west since the war started...competition from the west and russia over ownership of resources is a big part of the roots of this war....It all feels a little desperate....US planners have long ago accounted for all of the loot, thats their job. As a new bribe it will be met with 'yeah we know' shrugs Id imagine

Last edited:
Feel for the Ukrainians, giving their lives amid all this needless slaughter, then the ones who survive will find their country sold off by their leaders to US corporate interests.

Feel for the Ukrainians, giving their lives amid all this needless slaughter, then the ones who survive will find their country sold off by their leaders to US corporate interests.
Theres a lot of anti German and American resentment in Poland for their part in buying up Poland for cheap, but Ukraine will be next level

Both prisoners of geography, stuck between two wedges of the competing imperial vice (if you get my metaphor)

Back
Top Bottom