Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

All over by 2025. The fat lady has a year to get ready.

interest direction if we give Putin everything he wants he not attack anymore of his neighbours as international sanctions and pressure will make him think again ..

thought none of that had worked against Russia :hmm:

They've lost their peace time military leadership and gained experienced battle-hardened troops and a war economy. I think Putin would be unlikely to go for Poland or a Baltic 'cause they're Nato but he'd have a go at Moldova or a Stan or two.

Georgia is up next. Elections in two weeks. Current (increasingly) pro-Russian party in charge likely to still be the biggest single party but coalition of other parties currently more popular. Likely to be a Belerus-style election count and popular protests, maybe Russia will come back to restore a bit of order, annex a province or two.

Russia already got 20 % of Georgia under it control since it's little war in the noughties ..
maybe more than a province or 2

:hmm:

Russia already got 20 % of Georgia under it control since it's little war in the noughties ..
maybe more than a province or 2

:hmm:
A Georgian Dream (ruling party) politician the other day suggested that the country should apologise to Russia for that war. That’s the level they’re at now, grovelling for help in the election. Also bringing in anti-gay and anti-NGO laws more or less identical to the ones they have in Russia, some even suggesting it was Russia who wrote the laws for them.

Georgia is up next. Elections in two weeks. Current (increasingly) pro-Russian party in charge likely to still be the biggest single party but coalition of other parties currently more popular. Likely to be a Belerus-style election count and popular protests, maybe Russia will come back to restore a bit of order, annex a province or two.
Russia has probably already being doing its best to interfere with the democratic process.

• Ukrainian military recruitment officers have raided restaurants, bars and a concert hall in Kyiv, checking military registration documents and detaining men who are not in compliance. Local media reported Saturday that officers intercepted men leaving a concert by Ukrainian rock band Okean Elzy and some were forcibly detained. It is unusual for such raids to take place in the capital, and reflects Ukraine’s dire need for fresh recruits. Raids also reportedly took place in clubs and restaurants in other cities. All Ukrainian men aged 25-60 are eligible for conscription, and men aged 18-60 are not allowed to leave the country.

• Ukrainian military recruitment officers have raided restaurants, bars and a concert hall in Kyiv, checking military registration documents and detaining men who are not in compliance. Local media reported Saturday that officers intercepted men leaving a concert by Ukrainian rock band Okean Elzy and some were forcibly detained. It is unusual for such raids to take place in the capital, and reflects Ukraine’s dire need for fresh recruits. Raids also reportedly took place in clubs and restaurants in other cities. All Ukrainian men aged 25-60 are eligible for conscription, and men aged 18-60 are not allowed to leave the country.

TopCat

They've lost their peace time military leadership and gained experienced battle-hardened troops and a war economy. I think Putin would be unlikely to go for Poland or a Baltic 'cause they're Nato but he'd have a go at Moldova or a Stan or two.
You do know that the "stans", the five central Asian former Soviet republics, are actually allies of Russia?

This is a reasonable summary of some of the ins and outs of the Ukraine, NATO, West Germany model being touted around. However, inevitably, there are more questions than answers.

An interesting article. There was another on the linked page discussing the Russian psyche and chances of Ukrainian success that was good too. Though chances of success seem to depend on an aging Putin and renewed western support.

An interesting article. There was another on the linked page discussing the Russian psyche and chances of Ukrainian success that was good too. Though chances of success seem to depend on an aging Putin and renewed western support.
I still don't know what to make of Zelensky saying that it's possible for the war to end in 2025

Or alternatively a mass cancellation of eligible Ukrainians passports and a demand that allies return the people home to fight.

All the talk of missiles is just a distraction. They won’t change the course of the war. The Ukrainians need more fighters.

Defending Ukrainian front lines certainly. Maybe demand they attack Russia.

As I understand it the reluctance of NATO to grant membership of Ukraine to NATO ( especially the US ) whilst the war is on is precisely to avoid what you are saying . This may also explain the land for NATO membership kite that has been flown, however this would only occur after a ceasefire.

My two pennyworth is that there might be consideration to longer range missile attacks on Russia on a case by case basis and there might be some efforts to push the red lines regarding NATO personnel or countries who are in NATO personnel 'on the ground' but not , in my Sunday lunchtime opinion, the front line .

Last edited:
As I understand it the reluctance of NATO to grant membership of Ukraine to NATO ( especially the US ) whilst the war is on is precisely to avoid what you are saying . This may also explain the land for NATO membership kite that has been flown however this would only occur after a ceasefire.

My two pennyworth is that there might be consideration to longer range missile attacks on Russia on a case by case basis and there might be some efforts to push the red lines regarding NATO personnel or countries who are in NATO personnel 'on the ground' but not , in my Sunday lunchtime opinion, the front line .
What like the early days of Vietnam? Supply weapons, then trainers, it’s a slippery slope.

*salutes El Capitan pedantic

seriously look up the condition of the north Korean army.. going to war in Ukraine would be a welcome adventure with food after that

more than likely just defect to get away from going home

Back
Top Bottom