Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

the attendees are a bit interesting. no russia, no china, no biden, no modi, brazil sending their ambassador and australia sending the minister for the national disability scheme because the prime minister is meeting li qiang of china.
i think this one will be a damp squib and the second one won't happen.
No USA either aside from token underling ( you did mention that I just noticed)

Last edited:
The substantive pro-Ukraine position of most on this thread is driven by the desire not to see the Putin regime benefit from an imperialist land-grab,...
"Desire" is one thing, reality another. My list of antimilitarist desires is longer than my arm. Doesn't mean much when you look at the last twenty years of illegal global wars.

I was with an ex soldier friend last week (currently just about living on disability allowance as is the norm), we were taking about Ukraine and Russia, his feeling was the West should've gone in full force from the start, Western troops in, and called Putin's bluff. This at least is logical, even though I couldn't support that for fear of the fallout.

What we both agreed on though is the current situation is disastrous.

Nope , its not a polemic and if you read it you might come to the conclusion that it's not a period of history that one can easily swap as an analogy for the situation in Ukraine . Its only a few bob on Kindle.

Just picked one up from Abebooks for £3.59, free shipping, thanks for the nudge.

Russia: if you give up your nuclear weapons don't join NATO or the European union you can keep all your country and we will respect your borders.

Ukraine: OK we will do that.

Russia ( crosses border) : if you don't join NATO etc we will just keep Crimea and respect your borders.

Ukraine: You agreed and now you have broken the agreement!

Russia(invades again): if you let us keep what we have occupied already and promise not to ask for any of it back and promise to not join NATO etc. We will respect your borders.

Ukraine: ??

"Desire" is one thing, reality another. My list of antimilitarist desires is longer than my arm. Doesn't mean much when you look at the last twenty years of illegal global wars.

I was with an ex soldier friend last week (currently just about living on disability allowance as is the norm), we were taking about Ukraine and Russia, his feeling was the West should've gone in full force from the start, Western troops in, and called Putin's bluff. This at least is logical, even though I couldn't support that for fear of the fallout.

What we both agreed on though is the current situation is disastrous.
The start as when he annexed Crimea?

I dont understand what you are saying , can you elaborate?

Your neighbour breaks into your house. He stabs you, rapes your wife, steals your TV, and sets fire to your kitchen.

He says that he'll go away and promise not come back if you a) throw all your kitchen knives in the bin. b) take the locks off your front and back doors. c) cut the phone line so you can't call the Police.

You agree, because that can't go wrong at all, and you're the dumbest fuck ever to walk the earth.

HTH.

Your neighbour breaks into your house. He stabs you, rapes your wife, steals your TV, and sets fire to your kitchen.

He says that he'll go away and promise not come back if you a) throw all your kitchen knives in the bin. b) take the locks off your front and back doors. c) cut the phone line so you can't call the Police.

You agree, because that can't go wrong at all, and you're the dumbest fuck ever to walk the earth.

HTH.
Let me add this to the Urban75 list of house analogies for the Russian invasion

Let me add this to the Urban75 list of house analogies for the Russian invasion

you take the piss but you wouldn't find it so funny if putin came round your house, raped your cat, shit in your dishwasher, licked your ice cream and called your nan a cunt, would you?

interesting sunday times article about financial costs,

20026ba73343a85b4a4ba4012e8433a866f4777b.jpg

Last edited:

HTH.
After reading the docs:

If he comes out of the room you've given him and starts beating you up, you’ll need his consent to get someone to help you.

I can't believe BoJo didn't go for it.

Back
Top Bottom