Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

3 pages before the avoz brigade and the waffen ss got brought up again on this thread

just going to start counting the pages till we go back to the same subject from now on :)

It's like trump was never president or the United states a major country. There is a genuine fascist in charge in Italy but that country too has had its status downgraded

Neither of those are close to being fascist states though are they? They have/had/will again have leaders who are fascist/arguably fascist, but they've a long way to go before the underpinning mechanisms of state can be described as fascist in any meaningful way.

If you were really interested in discussing this you'd have said why you disagree, not said in effect 'there are opinions I'll accept and yours isn't one of them'

As I said, I'm not interested in discussing it. Particularly not with a poster who is determined to use any amount of posturing, whataboutery and obfuscation just to egg on the tag team of sad little edgelords who have made this thread unreadable.

As I said, I'm not interested in discussing it. Particularly not with a poster who is determined to use any amount of posturing, whataboutery and obfuscation just to egg on the tag team of sad little edgelords who have made this thread unreadable.
i think you'd do well to go back through the thread again and look at who really has been egging on topcat and discokermit, who has been driving the thread the way you object to. i suspect that were you to honestly look at the discussion you'd see it's people like you and editor and bahnhof strasse who have constantly been replying to them and pushing things further - take the post bahnhof strasse insists without any actual evidence states editor's a waffen ss supporter. you've all been posturing and full of whataboutery and obfuscation to signal your virtue. this could have been a really good and informative thread, providing insight and showing how we can discuss things. but there's been an insistence that people who take a view you hold wrong ought to be riled and derided for page after page. it's pitiable to see the abject level to which you and other posters who should know better have forced the thread.

If you won't say why you ascribe the meaning you did then there's no point continuing this. For me it's an uncontroversial post, stating a simple fact - that there are waffen ss supporters on the Ukrainian side. I feel the post has been blown out of all proportion and people desiring offence have mischaracterised it to provide some.

Innocently stating a fact.

Several scholars have posited that Russia has transformed into a fascist state, or that fascism best describes the Russian political system, especially following the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Here's what a professor of history at Yale University and the author of many books on fascism, totalitarianism and European history says: .

We Should Say It. Russia Is Fascist.​

maybe it's time for you to give up the pretence you have me on ignore

Innocently stating a fact.
i asked you (30,622) to say why you feel it is calling editor a waffen ss supporter, but you have not proffered your reasons. i'll say it again (3rd time i think) - if topcat had called editor a waffen ss supporter i think he'd have been unceremoniously ejected without right of return. we have discussed azov again and again over the past 10 years so it oughtn't to be a surprise that there are indeed waffen ss fans on the ukrainian side. obvs this doesn't mean everyone who supports ukraine is a waffen ss fan. and there are equally dubious elements on the russian side. we all know that neither side has a monopoly on fascist arseholes.

i asked you (30,622) to say why you feel it is calling editor a waffen ss supporter, but you have not proffered your reasons. i'll say it again (3rd time i think) - if topcat had called editor a waffen ss supporter i think he'd have been unceremoniously ejected without right of return. we have discussed azov again and again over the past 10 years so it oughtn't to be a surprise that there are indeed waffen ss fans on the ukrainian side. obvs this doesn't mean everyone who supports ukraine is a waffen ss fan. and there are equally dubious elements on the russian side. we all know that neither side has a monopoly on fascist arseholes.

Ffs, you are either being dishonest or thick over this. I don’t think you are thick, I may be wrong though.

Ffs, you are either being dishonest or thick over this. I don’t think you are thick, I may be wrong though.
one of us is being dishonest, for sure. but for me it's the one of us who refuses to explain what in that post causes him to believe it states something it doesn't. i mean, you've actually admitted it doesn't say that with your bit about the way it's worded. no one likes to be reminded that other people on your side are fascists, like arsenal fans don't like to be reminded of charlie sargent's football allegiance. i know you understand this point, you're not challenged in that regard as some people on this thread are.

The Swiss are to host a peace conference. Not inviting the Russians which will hamper any progress but it’s still welcome. I wonder if Zelensky will row back from his previous maximalist demands or just repeat his previous utterances and demand more Patriot missiles?

Switzerland to host peace summit in June​

The Swiss government will host a two-day high-level conference in June aimed at achieving peace in Ukraine, although Russia has made clear it will not take part in the initiative.

Switzerland said in January it would host a peace summit at the request of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and has since held talks with the EU, G7 member states and countries such as China and India to garner their support.

The Federal Council said in a statement:

There is currently sufficient international support for a high-level conference to launch the peace process.
The conference will be held June 15-16 at the Bürgenstock resort in the canton of Nidwalden outside the city of Lucerne. It will aim to create a framework favourable to a comprehensive and lasting peace in Ukraine as well as “a concrete roadmap for Russia’s participation in the peace process.”

While Moscow has said it is not against negotiations to end the war, Russian officials have said they will not take part in talks in Switzerland, a country they consider to have relinquished its neutrality with regard to the conflict.

Russia, which launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, has said the Swiss initiative is pointless without Moscow’s participation.

Swiss authorities have yet to disclose a full list of participants.

Ukraine reportedly offering prisoners a chance of parole if they sign up. I cynically expect given the history of corruption there for it to be a case of prisoners bribing their way out via this route.

Ukrainian convicts could serve in the military after lawmakers approved a first reading of a bill designed to replenish and rotate troops.

The bill envisages prisoners who join the army becoming eligible for parole.

Those convicted of crimes against humanity, sexual violence, murder or crimes against national security would not be allowed to serve, lawmaker Oleksiy Honcharenko said on Telegram.

A separate bill setting out large fines for citizens who fail to abide by mobilisation rules was also passed at the first reading.

It is not clear how many extra personnel would be eligible to join the military if the steps become law.

The convicts bill is likely to see changes before the final reading, in order to eliminate the risk of corruption, another lawmaker, Yaroslav Zhelezniak, said. No date has been set for the final reading after it is further discussed by a committee of lawmakers.

Ukraine’s parliament has also started reviewing the final reading of a complex bill amending the army mobilisation process after months of criticism and discussions, with a vote on that expected on Thursday.

It is expected to widen Kyiv’s capability to call up new servicemen amid significantly fewer volunteer fighters and numerous cases of draft evasion.

The Swiss are to host a peace conference. Not inviting the Russians which will hamper any progress but it’s still welcome. I wonder if Zelensky will row back from his previous maximalist demands or just repeat his previous utterances and demand more Patriot missiles?

Switzerland to host peace summit in June​

The Swiss government will host a two-day high-level conference in June aimed at achieving peace in Ukraine, although Russia has made clear it will not take part in the initiative.

Switzerland said in January it would host a peace summit at the request of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy and has since held talks with the EU, G7 member states and countries such as China and India to garner their support.

The Federal Council said in a statement:

The conference will be held June 15-16 at the Bürgenstock resort in the canton of Nidwalden outside the city of Lucerne. It will aim to create a framework favourable to a comprehensive and lasting peace in Ukraine as well as “a concrete roadmap for Russia’s participation in the peace process.”

While Moscow has said it is not against negotiations to end the war, Russian officials have said they will not take part in talks in Switzerland, a country they consider to have relinquished its neutrality with regard to the conflict.

Russia, which launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, has said the Swiss initiative is pointless without Moscow’s participation.

Swiss authorities have yet to disclose a full list of participants.
i would have thought that a trip to switzerland, involving as it does a flight over various other countries, might make senior russian involvement in the proceedings somewhat fraught given the possibility of flight diversions and arrest they might face.

Not inviting the Russians which will hamper any progress but it’s still welcome.

I mean that's certainly one interpretation of 'While Moscow has said it is not against negotiations to end the war, Russian officials have said they will not take part in talks in Switzerland, a country they consider to have relinquished its neutrality with regard to the conflict.'

Not inviting the Russians which will hamper any progress

If you are going to lie, maybe don't copy and paste an article showing you are.

I mean that's certainly one interpretation of 'While Moscow has said it is not against negotiations to end the war, Russian officials have said they will not take part in talks in Switzerland, a country they consider to have relinquished its neutrality with regard to the conflict.'
That aside it’s good that peace will be discussed at a high level amongst Ukraine’s backers (and others). I welcome this move very much.

That’s correct but to be fair the Swiss have not released a list of invitees so we don’t know that the Russians have / have not been invited. I think we can safely assume they haven’t been though as Zelensky has been involved in setting this up.

US threatens China over the conflict. The last paragraph really resonates for me.

China says it will not accept 'criticism or pressure' over ties with Russia after US warning​

China has vowed not to accept “criticism or pressure” over its ties with Russia, after Washington warned that it will hold Beijing responsible if Moscow makes gains in Ukraine.

AFP reports:

Deputy secretary of state Kurt Campbell said on Tuesday that Washington would “not sit by and say everything is fine” after Beijing renewed pledges of cooperation with Moscow during a visit by Russia’s top diplomat.

In response, foreign ministry spokesperson Mao Ning insisted:

China and Russia have the right to engage in normal economic and trade cooperation.
This kind of cooperation should not be interfered with or limited, and China also does not accept criticism or pressure.
The two countries have in recent years ramped up contacts, and their strategic partnership has only grown closer since Moscow’s invasion of neighbouring Ukraine.

Analysts say China holds the upper hand in the relationship with Russia, with its sway growing as Moscow’s international isolation deepens as its war drags on.

On Tuesday, the two said they would strengthen strategic cooperation as Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov held talks with President Xi Jinping and top diplomat Wang Yi.

Beijing said on Wednesday that it has “always played a constructive role” in seeking a resolution to the war in Ukraine.

Mao said:

If any country is truly concerned about peace in Ukraine, and hopes for an early end to the crisis, they should first reflect on the root causes of the crisis.

Back
Top Bottom